Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing Shades @ Big Tourneys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Are you allowed bring a pocket calculator to the table?

If other props are allowed to help you work out whether to pass/call/raise then why not a calculator?
    I pondered this myself but decided it would be a bad idea as it would give away your hand. E.g. If you raise someone on the flop and he whips out his calculator, bashes in a few numbers, nods to himself then calls, it wouldn'tbe too hard to work out he's on a draw.
    The reason for wearing them is that a sharp player will be watching your eyes as the flop is dealt. If you like what you see your pupils will dilate ( the expression " his eyes popped out of his head" ) and if you don't they wont.

Example player raises preflop, you know his range is AK-AT and say 99-AA so you want to figure out has he raised with the big Ace or a pocket pair.

The flop comes 873... pupils dilate overpair, don't dilate AK

The flop comes A73... pupils dilate AK, don't dilate pair

In fact some players are so good at it they can gauge how well you've hit it..Saw this in a tourney once flop come Heart heart heart. As the cards are coming down a well known english pro is looking at his opponents eyes and out of turn mucks an overpair to the board faceup and announces to the other player you've a flush who bewildered shows his cards with two hearts in it
    This dilating pupil nonsense(BTW it's actually the iris which dilates)... Only Harrison Ford in Blade Runner could pick up on this and even he needed that device with a camera zoomed in on the eye. Sunglasses main use would be observe other players (or yes, hot dealers) unnoticed. Wearing them upside down is presumably to improve your scope, i.e. you appear to be looking down and are actually watching players.
    I've never worn sunglasses in a game (or indoors for that matter) but I would consider it as I often feel uncomfortable looking at other players in the eye, especially if they're looking straight back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

niallk wrote: »
    I pondered this myself but decided it would be a bad idea as it would give away your hand. E.g. If you raise someone on the flop and he whips out his calculator, bashes in a few numbers, nods to himself then calls, it wouldn'tbe too hard to work out he's on a draw.

not if he balances his range.

not if he balances his range.
    What do you mean? Like pretend to use the calculator when it's not neccessary to throw me off the scent when really you're just typing 80085 or something? If it comes to that then I say ban them if they're not banned already. We don't need the wasted time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Mellor wrote: »
    lol,
    I was refering to the term in general, not to you nor drugs, people in general buy into the ballstalk on products, natural, herbal, fat-free etc
    no need to be so touchy/insecure

Must have been the hippy-pills that made me like this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Hmmm. Is the dilation occurring because the player likes what he sees on the flop, or because he's going through a mental calculation of what to do next?
    Another finding by Hess was when he administered math problems while measuring pupillary change. In one study, a subject's pupil size is measured while they perform arithmetic problems mentally. The subject's eyes dilated until the point where the problem was solved and then constricted back to a normal range. In another study, subjects were given four multiplication problems and were measured for percentage change in pupil size. The change in dilation was a measure of how much effort the task took for each subject. The greater the increase in dilation indicated the more cognitive effort used during the task (Hess, 1959).

In any case, the dilation response also appears to be emotionally-related, so an experienced player is less likely to be affected (similar to the way that their heart-rate stays low when wired up for TV Poker).

Also, how close would you have to be to someone to observe this response?

In short, this pupil dilation theory has zero application at the table, imo.

• Advertisement

All interesting points on pupil dilation. To rely on pupil dilation indicators during play could give a lot of mixed signals. I suppose body language would be a better indicator of an opponent's mood during the play of a hand.

I think if less-experienced players wear shades it will give them a slight edge compared to not wearing them, due to their eyes darting around the table and a general nervous look in their eyes. But if they don't know what to look for in other players they will already be at a disadvantage. Maybe thats why a lot of internet players find the transition over to live play difficult, along with a number of other factors such as the speed of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I think a cap/shades/ipod wearer is usually quite a nervous player who's live game probably isn't very advanced. It's a conformist approach simply because they haven't really found themselves as poker players yet, and subconsciously are slightly uncomfortable enough with their own game that they feel they need to protect themselves from soul readers.

It only stands to reason that the more comfortable and confident you are at the poker table the less likely you are to wear a cap and shades.

By the way that is definitely the hottest photo ever posted on this forum. Someone should transfer flushdraw Stars $ for that. Half a nipple and everything. Deadly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

On a serious note...Shades are ok if you're badly hungover and its a really bright tourney arena coupled with bright felt e.g EPT tables or those red Bodog ones.

I don't think it helps your game in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭gazman59

i like wearing them the lights are a killer when your sitting there and helps with the concentration me thinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

NickyOD wrote: »
    I think a cap/shades/ipod wearer is usually quite a nervous player who's live game probably isn't very advanced. It's a conformist approach simply because they haven't really found themselves as poker players yet, and subconsciously are slightly uncomfortable enough with their own game that they feel they need to protect themselves from soul readers.

It only stands to reason that the more comfortable and confident you are at the poker table the less likely you are to wear a cap and shades.

By the way that is definitely the hottest photo ever posted on this forum. Someone should transfer flushdraw Stars $ for that. Half a nipple and everything. Deadly. :)

have to disagree with you on the ipod point. fact of the matter is, a lot of people you'll encounter at poker tables aren't that cool, and it's a lot more pleasant and less mind-numbing to listen to music than it is to some opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

What about something like this? :D

visorwebb.jpg

zuutroy wrote: »

visorwebb.jpg

Sweet! Does it come in red? :D
    Problem is, it doesn't hide your eyes, what with the pupil dilation and all that....

zuutroy wrote: »

visorwebb.jpg
    Does it come with a Zimmerframe?
    etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

jlvn829l.jpg

hopalong85 wrote: »
    have to disagree with you on the ipod point. fact of the matter is, a lot of people you'll encounter at poker tables aren't that cool, and it's a lot more pleasant and less mind-numbing to listen to music than it is to some opponents.

Yeah I have an ipod with me sometimes for the same reason. Trouble with it is what you don't hear people say is what could have made you more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

NickyOD wrote: »
    Yeah I have an ipod with me sometimes for the same reason. Trouble with it is what you don't hear people say is what could have made you more money.

Who says it has to be turned on?!

Earphones in = people not talking to you (read, not annoying you), but seeing as you're not listening to anything on the ipod you can still pick up whats being said at the table. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

i hate this thread so ****ing much that i'll post a lesbian vid to stop me and everyone else from killing themselves. I expect alot of thank yous to this post imo, more than 10 tbh

btw i came b4 watching this vid imo

dK1NG wrote: »
    Who says it has to be turned on?!

Earphones in = people not talking to you (read, not annoying you), but seeing as you're not listening to anything on the ipod you can still pick up whats being said at the table. :pac:

Funny thing is people seem to talk to me even more when I wear an iPod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Tells are overrated

EXACTLY..... i do not know why people think they can read someone because for eg/ they sit back in their chair...OOh your thinkin hes strong, but maybe hes know u think that so hes counter telling!if you will! its bull.......... yer only fooling yerselves. there is no way ever you can honestly say.... i knew he was bluffing. NEVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    i hate this thread so ****ing much that i'll post a lesbian vid to stop me and everyone else from killing themselves. I expect alot of thank yous to this post imo, more than 10 tbh

Fock me, that's deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

played in fitz year back (maybe bit longer). had BBJ sitting beside me. He was burning the ear off me, and it was very hard to think never mind enjoy a poker game. I reached into my pocket for my phone which had the earphone/radio attachment. Only then did i remember that id left my phone at the reception desk charging. So i proceeded to put the earphones in my ears,with the wire going into my pocket and starting bopping my neck at a random beat whenevr BBJ turned my direction.

Had a bloody sore neck, but the peace and quiet was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

semibluff wrote: »
    played in fitz year back (maybe bit longer). had BBJ sitting beside me. He was burning the ear off me, and it was very hard to think never mind enjoy a poker game. I reached into my pocket for my phone which had the earphone/radio attachment. Only then did i remember that id left my phone at the reception desk charging. So i proceeded to put the earphones in my ears,with the wire going into my pocket and starting bopping my neck at a random beat whenevr BBJ turned my direction.

Had a bloody sore neck, but the peace and quiet was worth it!

Always thinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Tells are ridiculously overrated. People should learn how to play poker before trying to apply anything from what they may or may not have seen and may or may not have interpreted correctly. I've played a lot live and I've never come across anyone that has been anyway good with tells. Obv I'm not counting tells on your drunk tellbox or betting tells but physical tells on a mediocre player or better player. Most people just fit the tell to what they want. But basically as fatboydim says tells are way overrated, typically by people who don't play very well. Once you can actually play to a good standard you can start adjusting ranges with tells but basically they are just overrated bull****. Not to say they have no use but they are defo overrated. Way too many people that can't play poker simply try to get reads when they still don't know how to play there own hand or even how to play optimally even if they know their opponents cards.

I always love when I sit at a table and everyones staring each other out of it. Usually means their either trying to find an excuse to fold or an excuse to call and not thinking how to play poker.

TommyGunne wrote: »
    Tells are ridiculously overrated. People should learn how to play poker before trying to apply anything from what they may or may not have seen and may or may not have interpreted correctly. I've played a lot live and I've never come across anyone that has been anyway good with tells. Obv I'm not counting tells on your drunk tellbox or betting tells but physical tells on a mediocre player or better player. Most people just fit the tell to what they want. But basically as fatboydim says tells are way overrated, typically by people who don't play very well. Once you can actually play to a good standard you can start adjusting ranges with tells but basically they are just overrated bull****. Not to say they have no use but they are defo overrated. Way too many people that can't play poker simply try to get reads when they still don't know how to play there own hand or even how to play optimally even if they know their opponents cards.

Hmmm, you're fairly adament that tells are overrated!
    What about Jennifer Tilly's big heaving chest in that hand against Antonius? She looked fair nervous with her holding there, but I agree, tells can be misinterpreted too easily.
    The point of this thread was to ask opinions on wearing dark glasses in tournaments to gauge whether people thought that they might be beneficial in some slight way.
    A lot of varied responses, but a lot boils down to how comfortable you are with your game and your perceived image at the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Swings n roundabouts Manatee. They're great in high pressure hands, all in with either the nuts or a stone cold bluff, and you don't want your eyes to water, twitch, and get caught etc.

They can, however, often lead to misreading a hand/flop, so you just gotta be careful if you choose to go with em.

I wear them sometimes when playing long hours indoors since they help protect against migraine attacks.

Lol @ manatee (ie a fish eater) new nickname for when I'm at the table me thinks :D
    Yep agreed, different strokes for different folks and all that. Get yourself one of those glare screens for your pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

bantee wrote: »
    Hmmm, you're fairly adament that tells are overrated!
    What about Jennifer Tilly's big heaving chest in that hand against Antonius? She looked fair nervous with her holding there, but I agree, tells can be misinterpreted too easily.

And how many people misinterpreted this as having a monster when it turned out she was really looking to get to showdown cheaply. loltells

And how many people misinterpreted this as having a monster when it turned out she was really looking to get to showdown cheaply. loltells

I dunno but I would be hypnotised by those 2 bad boys anyway so my soul-reading radar would be all over the gaff :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

bantee wrote: »
    Lol @ manatee (ie a fish eater) new nickname for when I'm at the table me thinks :D
    Yep agreed, different strokes for different folks and all that. Get yourself one of those glare screens for your pc!

Long hours of live poker. I keep my laptop and my eyes a proper distance from each other during live play; have the telly on across the room so I'm not bedazzled up close.

During live play you can't click 'sit out' and have a real break, just a breather. At home you have the advantage of doing whatever the hell ya like.

Advertisement