Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Fraud Fears In US Election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevinmyarse

Is it possible for republican officials to actually strike off genuine people in certain districts from the register without their knowledge?.
    Would there not then be a riot if large numbers of people showed up and werent allowed to vote?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My thinking is that it would be possible for officials to do so regardless of party (i.e. whoever's in charge), but you would probably need a couple of people to co-operate to do it properly.

In the meantime, the dead have been voting in Houston.

http://www.click2houston.com/investigates/17671375/detail.html
    All-in-all, a great person, a great woman, just a wonderful person" is how Alexis Guidry described her mother to Local 2 Investigates.

"As far back as I can remember, they've always voted in the election," Guidry said of her parents.

The March 2008 Primary was no exception. Voting records show Alexis' mom, Gloria Guidry, cast her ballot in person near her South Houston home.

"It was just very shocking, a little unsettling," said Alexis Guidry.

It's unsettling because Gloria Guidry died of cancer 10 months before the March Primary.

"She'd be very upset," Guidry said when asked what her mom would think.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/17749362/index.html

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

could somebody clear this up for. does it say which party you registered with on american voter electoral roles?

When you register to vote in the States you indicate which party you wish to join [Democrat,Republican,Independant,etc]then once you are officially registered you will get an official voter card with your name and party on it. When you got to vote you will sign in on the register and it will ahve your name and party as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is it possible for republican officials to actually strike off genuine people in certain districts from the register without their knowledge?.
    Would there not then be a riot if large numbers of people showed up and werent allowed to vote?

It happened here for the last elections, the register was culled.
    Those like myself who were aware had to scramble to get thier vote back.

Other's didn't hear about and never got a voting card and when they showed up at the polling station with I.D. were told they were not registered despite being on the register the last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=6534

"Head of California GOP voter registration outfit charged with voter registration fraud, according to CA Sec. of State's office. The firm, YPM, also under investigation in several states for allegedly illegally switching thousands of registrations from Democratic to Republican"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the cartoon characters never get to polling booth, the actually people suppressed never get to vote properly thats the difference.

i still perplexed with how it helps citizens to be registered dems or repub?

this is example of why it shouldn't be manic

this thing in california only applies to internal party votes doens't it?

i still perplexed with how it helps citizens to be registered dems or repub?

Example: Anyone who is not a registered Republican cannot vote in the Republican primary election in California. If you want to vote in the Primary, you must be registered Republican. If you wish to vote in the Democratic primary, you must be registered Democrat, or Decline to State.
    this thing in california only applies to internal party votes doens't it?

Possibly funding, as well. Larger party might get more State funding, though I'd have to look at it. It will have no effect on a voter's ability to vote for whoever they want to vote for in the General Election.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LOL! But once again your facts are wrong..."Mr Lagoon" hahaha! Ooooooo, look out Tar, you might have some competition!

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It will have no effect on a voter's ability to vote for whoever they want to vote for in the General Election.

Regarding YPM hired by GOP, what about...

"Some also report having their registration status changed to absentee without their permission; if they show up at the polls without a ballot they may be unable to vote."

Or...

"Those who were formerly Democrats may stop receiving phone calls and literature from that party, perhaps affecting its get-out-the-vote efforts."

Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-me-fraud18-2008oct18,0,3505611.story

"Some also report having their registration status changed to absentee without their permission; if they show up at the polls without a ballot they may be unable to vote."

Not dependant on party affiliation. All they need to do is target an area which is heavy in 'opposition' voters even if they didn't know exactly who was registered which way. However, it is further evidence that the registration system is absolutely broken and needs fixing, despite all the hollering from Democrats that verification systems do nothing but disenfranchise voters.
    Those who were formerly Democrats may stop receiving phone calls and literature from that party, perhaps affecting its get-out-the-vote efforts."

A more valid concern, but I'd emphasise the word 'perhaps.' I don't know about you, but I've not met anyone yet who doesn't know that there's an election on that they might want to vote in, let alone who is registered in any affiliation and doesn't know that there's an election on. What with the TV, radio, web, newspapers... I don't think many sensible people need a telephone call or email to remind them to go out and vote.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Example: Anyone who is not a registered Republican cannot vote in the Republican primary election in California. If you want to vote in the Primary, you must be registered Republican. If you wish to vote in the Democratic primary, you must be registered Democrat, or Decline to State.

Surprised people didn't say they were democrat, vote for Hillary then at the booth vote for McCain.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Surprised people didn't say they were democrat, vote for Hillary then at the booth vote for McCain.

It's called 'cross-voting', and it does happen. Particularly after McCain became the presumptive nominee and the later Republican primaries were moot, they re-registered as Democrats and voted for Hillary on the basis that Hillary would be easier to beat than Obama.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Yep.

I voted McCain in the Georgia primary. Of course, GA voted Huckabee. :(

Obama was a shoe-in for the Dems in these here parts, so I viewed voting for him as a vote wasted, given the greater potential evil of a Huckabee win.

For the general election, I am not now tied to voting Republican.

I have several Repub friends. Some of them crossed over and voted for Clinton (per 'advice' from talk-radio).

The biggest episode of cross-over voting I have ever seen was in 2002 to oust GA congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. I'm pretty sure just about every Republican voter in her district crossed over to vote for her Democrat rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

but why don't the parties just sort out their own elections and promotion rather then having lists out their with people names and parties on it as target for abuses, surely they can keep their own list of voters.

and if parties want more funding(from the gov) they can get the people to actually join the party.

Just in case someone decides that the wrong party won, doubtless only possible as a result of mass fraud, the police are prepping for a long night and following morning.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/police-prepare-for-unrest-2008-10-21.html
    Police departments in cities across the country are beefing up their ranks for Election Day, preparing for possible civil unrest and riots after the historic presidential contest.

Public safety officials said in interviews with The Hill that the election, which will end with either the nation’s first black president or its first female vice president, demanded a stronger police presence.

Some worry that if Barack Obama loses and there is suspicion of foul play in the election, violence could ensue in cities with large black populations. Others based the need for enhanced patrols on past riots in urban areas (following professional sports events) and also on Internet rumors.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

No election ballots have arrived in Ireland yet...looking like for the first time in 10 years this expatriot will miss out on a vote...

yankinlk wrote: »
    No election ballots have arrived in Ireland yet...looking like for the first time in 10 years this expatriot will miss out on a vote...

You should be eligible for the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot, which you can download, print out and mail. Check the FVAP site for info.

However, be careful to follow the fine print so fine it's not even on the form. Currently 98% of these ballots received in Fairfax County, VA are being rejected and it's just hit the news sites, with the accompanying cries of a Democratic region trying to suppress the generally Republican military vote. (A total of 250 ballots or so).

Here's the FVAP site for Virginia.
    http://www.fvap.gov/uniformed-service-members/fed-write-in-absentee-ballot/states/va/index.html

Here's the form itself.
    http://www.fvap.gov/resources/media/fwab.pdf

Instructions:
    Only the following blocks of the Voter's Declaration/Affirmation are required:

Block 1.a: Select the category that describes you.

Block 1.b: Virginia does not allow you to use this form for registration. Do not check this box.

Block 2.a: Name (Last, First, Middle); Block 2.e: Date of Birth

Block 2.f: Your Social Security number is required. If you do not have a Social Security number, write "none". Virginia will assign a number that will serve to identify you for voting purposes only.

Block 2.g: Military members, merchant marine members, and their spouses and dependents must provide the service identification number of the member.

Block 3.a through 3.e: Complete street address of your Virginia voting residence. A post office box is not sufficient. If your address includes a rural route, describe its location in Block 6. This address must be different from the one provided in Block 4 and must be within the county where you claim legal voting residence.

Block 4.a: Print the complete address where you want your ballot sent - usually your current mailing address.

Block 5: Enter your political party affiliation when applying for a primary ballot or write "none".

Block 6: Provide any information that may assist the local election official in accepting this ballot or application.

Block 7: Sign and date in the presence of one witness. The witness must sign and date the form.

Similarly, the instructions on the Fairfax County website for mailing in absentee ballots.
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eb/absentee.htm
    Be sure to fill in ALL the information on Envelope B, including; your full name, legal address, your signature, your witness's signature and a date.

The reason the forms are being rejected? No address was provided for the witness.

It turns out that VA has a law requiring such. (It's not obvious on the Commonwealth's website either). If you read the FVAP website, the County Register's website, and the instructions on the form, you'd be pretty confident you had all the instructions you needed. However, I continued hunting around, and found the following, on Page 391 of the Absentee Voting Guide. (I couldn't remember how I found it the first time, just spent 15 minutes looking for this before I tripped over it again, it's that well hidden)
    http://www.fvap.gov/resources/media/vagVA.pdf
    Additionally, for registered Virginia voters, the FWAB can serve simultaneously as an absentee ballot request and ballot for Federal offices as long as it is received 5 days before the election. The FWAB Declaration/Affirmation must contain the residence address where the voter is registered in Virginia, the voter’s current military or overseas address, and the voter's and witness’ signature and date. The witness must provide his or her printed name and address in Block 6.

It begs the question, why wasn't this nonsense sorted out in 2001?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It begs the question, why wasn't this nonsense sorted out in 2001?

NTM, you don't honestly want me to give my answer that question, do you? :D

yankinlk wrote: »

My absentee ballots showed up, filled them out and mailed them back. McCain all the way.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=21a_1225010361

NTM, this is why I trust the exit polls more than the actual vote count. (I am a programmer, and I *know* how easily this could be done)

• Advertisement

With respect, he went a little outside his lane there. I have no doubt that codes could be written, which is pretty obvious. (I work IT these days myself, I'm not entirely ignorant of computer systems). He does not show that it was emplaced in the machines, he has no evidence that it was done, and he was asked a question on his opinion which I would submit if it was asked in a courtroom would be thrown out of court as leading or asking something of which the programmer would have no knowledge. You will note that his testimony had a fair few 'ifs' and hypotheticals in it.

Now, here's a possibility not considered by this programmer. Let's say I wanted to hire someone to find dodgy code in the machine. Best way of making sure he was capable of doing his job would be to hire someone else to write and hide such a code. Not to put it on all the machines in the system, but just the sample machine that you give to the tech in the State Elections Commission. Basically, it's a live-fire exercise. Did anybody as much as ask? Outside of that ten-minute testimony, what else did Congress ask and conclude? I doubt the investigation was a fifteen minute affair. The report is presumably out there somewhere.

NTM

He did give opinion (though to be fair, they asked him). I don't know the legal standing of the opinion. Let's see if we can find the full report. I know there are Wired and RS articles on the issue out there.

Here's the GAO report on electronic voting machines, Sept 2005. Not short.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05956.pdf

Also gives no indication as to whether any of the recommendations have been enacted.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

A friend of mine maintains that this time around the oil/military oligarchy will start a war just before the election and have the sheep waving flags as they queue up to vote Republican.
    Today the US attacked Syria.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BenjAii wrote:
    The one that shocks me the most was Florida barring any convicted felon from voting. From a sociological point of view that is obviously people on low incomes. That they could get away with disenfranchising a whole swathe of the population like that is truly shocking.
    Wern't they barring anyone whose name matched any felon in any of the 52 states ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So in Virginia some ****head is sending around fliers that look very official that say Due to the high voter turnout, The [Virgian local government bla bla] has decided that Republican voters and Independents leaning republican will vote on Novemeber 4th as mandated by law. Furthermore, Democrats or Independents leaning Democrat are to vote on November 5th.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6138925&page=1

Obviously, people, vote on the 4th.

In another story a McCain supporter was having his signs repeatedly stolen, so he set up not only a video camera, but wired the signs to a voltage box for an electric fence :p fair ****s to him. The person stealing his signs though? A 9 year old boy. Zap.

http://www.greensboro3.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=1252&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2762&hn=greensboro3&he=.com

Wern't they barring anyone whose name matched any felon in any of the 52 states ?

52 States?

Florida is not the only State which prohibits felons from voting. Neither is voting the only thing which is restricted from you should you be convicted of a felony. The theory being that if you don't want to act as a good citizen, you shouldn't get the rights of one either.

Currently the status is that most States don't allow felons currently serving sentences to vote (including those who are out on parole), some States prohibit felons from voting for life, and some allow felons to vote even when in jail.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

So, Oprah voted early, and her vote didn't get counted as the machine screwed up .....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-friedman/oprahs-vote-lost-how-you_b_140026.html

Looks like if you read it, she mis-hit something, and caught her mistake at the verification screen, which is the function of the verification screen.

NTM

• Advertisement

Sounds like they're already laying the groundwork for excuses already.

Advertisement