Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taco fries

• 09-10-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

does anyone have a recipe that comes close to abras taco fries. I know its not cool to admit that u like them. I've even actually eaten them sober.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I just fry up mince and put in chilli powder & ketchup, then pour over thin oven chips. You can get proper jars of taco sauces in supermarkets. Also I sometimes put grated cheese over them when roasting hot and it melts in.

Abra food varies greatly between each outlet, some have really hot chilli/taco stuff, some is mild.
    I know its not cool to admit that u like them.
    People get all hung up about "junk food". Some would not touch a burger yet would eat spag bol no problem, yet when you think about it they are very similar, fatty meat & white flour & tomato sauce (yes ketchup has sugar added but overall you eat more tomato sauce in spag bol, and tomato purée I have is 18% sugar). If you put extra butter in your shepherds pie mash it is then a similar enough thing to taco fries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

rubadub wrote: »
    I just fry up mince and put in chilli powder & ketchup, then pour over thin oven chips. You can get proper jars of taco sauces in supermarkets. Also I sometimes put grated cheese over them when roasting hot and it melts in.

Abra food varies greatly between each outlet, some have really hot chilli/taco stuff, some is mild.

People get all hung up about "junk food". Some would not touch a burger yet would eat spag bol no problem, yet when you think about it they are very similar, fatty meat & white flour & tomato sauce (yes ketchup has sugar added but overall you eat more tomato sauce in spag bol, and tomato purée I have is 18% sugar). If you put extra butter in your shepherds pie mash it is then a similar enough thing to taco fries.

haha you just compared Taco frie to spagetti bolangese. For a with spagetti you have a choice between wholmeal pasta, spinach pasta, white pasta etc compared with chips cooked in oil. Nobody says you have to use tomatoe puree in your spagetti some chunky plum tomatoes and fresh herbs should suffice. You have a choice when making something at home as to how lean a mince to use and what kind of cheese to use, i.e a parmessan or low fat cheddar versus the full fat stuff in abras.

Of course you can change a healthy food to an unhealthy one with ingredient substition.

haha you just compared Taco frie to spagetti bolangese.
    No I didn't, read again. But you show my point, people thinking it is laughable. If you get takeouts or go to a restaurants it would be extremely rare to get wholemeal pasta, and usually there is far more oil, salt & fat in restaurant food. The nutritional values could be quite similar, that is my point. People have misguided ideas as to what is good/bad, and marketers love this. The whole "low fat" think is a prime example, I would expect walkers "baked crisps" might well make you fatter than the normal ones, the lack of fat in them is replaced by processed carbs. I follow a high fat diet, specifically with the aim of losing fat.
    For a with spagetti you have a choice between wholmeal pasta, spinach pasta, white pasta etc compared with chips cooked in oil. Nobody says you have to use tomatoe puree
    Exactly, like I said, I use oven chips. You could make your own oven chips too, with very little fat, some oven chips are very low in fat. You can also use extra lean mince if you are worried about fat. Or blot it after.

Tomato puree is simply tomatoes with less water, my comment was just pre-emptive to people saying ketchup is full of sugar, while people eating spag bol made just with fresh tomatoes are probably taking in more sugar than the amount on a burger (albeit natural sugar, it still has the same calories)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i agree restaurants do use tons of butter salt oil ect to make things more tasty, but a little of what u fancy is good.

Now getting back to the taco fries yes i can fry mince ect but what is the yummy pink sauce that the throw over the chips before the mince is it just a blend of mayo and ketchup.

has any one seen the new Heinz ketchup, it comes in a bottle and is made from plum tomatoes very sweet but yummy

foodaholic wrote: »
    Now getting back to the taco fries yes i can fry mince ect but what is the yummy pink sauce that the throw over the chips before the mince is it just a blend of mayo and ketchup.
    I never got it, or maybe just not remembered since I am usually pissed rotten! But like I mentioned, abras can vary.

A blend of ketchup & mayo is lovely, known as sauce marie rose
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Rose_sauce

some recipes for it put other stuff in too, like chilli powder, lovely on chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Okay I stand corrected you didn't compare them directly. You did however compare spag bol to a burger, hence my suggestions on how to make spagetti more healthy.
    No I didn't, read again. But you show my point, people thinking it is laughable. If you get takeouts or go to a restaurants it would be extremely rare to get wholemeal pasta, and usually there is far more oil, salt & fat in restaurant food. The nutritional values could be quite similar, that is my point. People have misguided ideas as to what is good/bad, and marketers love this. The whole "low fat" think is a prime example, I would expect walkers "baked crisps" might well make you fatter than the normal ones, the lack of fat in them is replaced by processed carbs. I follow a high fat diet, specifically with the aim of losing fat.

Agree on the whole low fat marketing starategy point something has been substituted for the fat, it has been replace with thin air.

Your choice to mantain a keotonic diet is personal. It is certainly not the generally held consesus that this is a healthy lifestyle. But alas I fear we have drifted way off point already.

Exactly, like I said, I use oven chips. You could make your own oven chips too, with very little fat, some oven chips are very low in fat. You can also use extra lean mince if you are worried about fat. Or blot it after.

Tomato puree is simply tomatoes with less water, my comment was just pre-emptive to people saying ketchup is full of sugar, while people eating spag bol made just with fresh tomatoes are probably taking in more sugar than the amount on a burger (albeit natural sugar, it still has the same calories)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The best part of the Taco Fries (IMHO) is that 'sauce' that they pour over the mince and cheese-is this available anywhere? It's not dissimilar to the Southwest Dressing from Subway.

Or any suggestions on how to make it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I have it on good authority from an ex-supermacs worker that the sauce consists of mayonaise, thousand island dressing and smokey bbq powdered seasoning:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

foodaholic wrote: »
    does anyone have a recipe that comes close to abras taco fries. I know its not cool to admit that u like them. I've even actually eaten them sober.
    You should try Supermacs taco fries,ou la la,and they are the same in every outlet that does them........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Eviledna2 wrote: »
    I have it on good authority from an ex-supermacs worker that the sauce consists of mayonaise, thousand island dressing and smokey bbq powdered seasoning:)

Sounds about right. Will give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

People get all hung up about "junk food".

I'm not sure why the commas are included in this sentence? Do you genuinely believe fast food is as healthy and nutritious as home cooking?

Just have a look at what passes as acceptable to serve customers at a fast food restaurant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055396152

turdwl6.th.jpg
    The lady at the counter assured me it wasn't burnt, that it was in fact "Flame Grilled"

Unbelievable! :eek:

Yes people get "hung up" about fast food and with good reason. It's complete and utter garbage.

cozmik wrote: »
    I'm not sure why the commas are included in this sentence? Do you genuinely believe fast food is as healthy and nutritious as home cooking?
    That is impossible for me to answer, it is like asking do I think the string in your left hand is longer than the one in your right! I have no idea how you cook at home TBH.

The commas were since many things people assume/call junk need not be, and vice versa, many things they would not consider "junk food" could well be junk. Food called "slow food", or "home cooking" could be a hell of a lot worse than any restaurant would serve up, fast or slow.

That is all I am getting at, some people would automatically turn their nose up at anything that is called a burger. This burger could be a grilled chicken fillet in a freshly baked wholemeal roll with tomato and lettuce. Then your homecooked spag bol could be made with cheap 30% supermarket mince, with added oils, white pasta, processed cheese a fistful of salt & MSG etc.

I am just pointing out that it is not always as black & white as people think it is, and just to be careful.

I saw that other thread, it is bad, I have seen just as bad served in hotels too though.

That is impossible for me to answer, it is like asking do I think the string in your left hand is longer than the one in your right! I have no idea how you cook at home TBH.

By home cooking I mean fresh meat veg eggs fruit just the regular sort of wholesome foods people buy at the supermarket.

Food called "slow food", or "home cooking" could be a hell of a lot worse than any restaurant would serve up, fast or slow.

In some cases that might be true but generally speaking how many people do you know would make homemade burgers with 76 ingredients? as in a Big Mac!

cozmik wrote: »
    By home cooking I mean fresh meat veg eggs fruit just the regular sort of wholesome foods people buy at the supermarket.
    Right, well glancing in peoples trolleys and seeing what my mates & colleagues in work eat the majority certainly do not buy mainly foods like that. This is all keep trying to get at, it is not black & white.

Again I said "junk food" in commas, since many foods that people would list under that could be made perfectly healthily, if you so wish. and vice versa with "wholesome food".

It would seem to me your definition of "fast food" is unhealthy & un-nutritious food, and "home cooked" is healthy & nutiritious, therefore there is no point even asking me
    Do you genuinely believe fast food is as healthy and nutritious as home cooking?
    I cook/prepare the majority of my healthy foods "fast" too, another reason I do not like that term too.

In some cases that might be true but generally speaking how many people do you know would make homemade burgers with 76 ingredients? as in a Big Mac!
    I would say a lot use even more ingredients actually. This is the thread about bigmacs for others who have not seen it.
    In regards to the 76 ingredients I said
    one thing I do like about McDs is they are open about the ingredients, they show it warts and all. They list the E numbers and then what it is, many will just show the E number, or just the ingredient, McD's even explain some of the stuff or where it goes. Many consider all E numbers "bad", yet could well be taking vitamins/supplements which are entirely a "E number", e.g. vitamin C as ascorbic acid is E300.

I am not sure of the legal situation but I expect if you ingredients under a certain % then you do not have to declare them. If this is the case I would expect many food labels omit them. I also think they can use tricks to avoid listing the lot, like listing "processed cheese" as an ingredients, while McDs seem to spell out every single chemical used in this processing.

There is a lot of ingredients but I am still not sure if that is normal, i.e. "the norm", like I was saying previously about most food products having this stuff in them.

To make the same burger in the supermarket I would need, bread rolls, easy singles, pickles, ketchup, mustard, meat. So when you get all those together the list would be pretty big. In fact I think I noticed that the ketchup sachets in McDs or BK actually had less ingredients than regular supermarket heinz, even though it was heinz too.
    People at home could be using several sauces, of which combined could have loads of ingredients, the cheap frozen burgers are full of all sorts of odd sounding ingredients too, and lots of cheap longlife burger buns are loaded with stuff.

Your choice to mantain a keotonic diet is personal. It is certainly not the generally held consesus that this is a healthy lifestyle.
    I don't follow a ketogenic diet, more of my dietary calories would come from fat than the average person- thats all I really meant, I eat bread and other carbs.

People at home could be using several sauces, of which combined could have loads of ingredients,

rubadub, in fairness you're making a lot of assumptions about what people "could" be eating at home, whereas we know exactly what McDonalds are offering and it isn't good.

Why not have a look at the "Here's what I had for dinner last night" thread and see what people are actually preparing for themselves. I think you'll find the majority of posters are making much healthier meals than what you would get in a fast food restaurant.

cheers.

Advertisement