Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you react if...

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

... one day your child, who you had raised an Atheist and an accepter of evolution sat you down and told you they where joining the priesthood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

... one day your child, who you had raised an Atheist and an accepter of evolution sat you down and told you they where joining the priesthood?

I think this is too abstract for me, as I'm not having kids, but I can only compare it to my brother or sister maybe saying the same thing. Naturally you love them anyway, unconditionally. As long as it didn't become a conversion war they can make their own decisions. It would be easier as they would already know your opinion on it presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Its their choice at the end of the day and if my child decided for himself that God exists and he wants to become a priest then I would support him.

P.S. I love the variation on "The Creation of Man" in your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

This thread really is just a branch off of the thread about whether you would date/marry a religious person. Most people wouldn't date someone with opposing views on belief and evolution.

But what do you do if your child rejects evolution and becomes devoutly religious? Do you disown them? Do you tell them they are wrong?

I know some will say they are never going to have children but I think the twinge comes in everyones life where they egotistically look at their own great genes and think "i'd like another generation to have the pleasure of using these" ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd support my kid, once I was certain nothing I was likely to say would change their mind, frankly.

I would also find myself wondering what was missing from their life that led them down that path in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

But what do you do if your child rejects evolution and becomes devoutly religious? Do you disown them? Do you tell them they are wrong?
    I could not see any parent disown their kids for choosing their own life style, I guess you need to have some to fully appreciate that answer:).
    I would imagine that raising them you would already have explained your views, if they change their views, they can just as easily turn around and say, no, you are wrong. The only thing you can do is continue to love and support them, and hope they have a happy life. Its their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This thread really is just a branch off of the thread about whether you would date/marry a religious person. Most people wouldn't date someone with opposing views on belief and evolution.

The difference is that when you are in a relationship with someone you have not known them your entire life and therefore you are more likely to have a conflict arise when this topic of conversation comes up. In families these things tend to come up before you even start to think for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Dades wrote: »
    I'd support my kid, once I was certain nothing I was likely to say would change their mind, frankly.

I would also find myself wondering what was missing from their life that led them down that path in the first place.

I would be very similar. I have to say, I would be fairly disappointed.

I am actually struggling at the moment with my 10 year old. She know I do not believe, but I am trying very hard to get her to make her own mind up.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I can't see it ever happening really, my daughter is way too smart :D

That being said, what could you do? For me anyway, it would not be possible to stop loving her. As long as she had all the facts she is welcome to chose her own path.

I would be of the same mind. I mean it would be very hypocritical of me to expect my own parents to accept my lifestyle and then turn around and not accept the lifestyle of my own child.

But I would be very disappointed by the decision and I guess my relationship with my child would change to one where I wouldn't share my ideas and opinions as much due to the fact that it would just cause conflict.

I mean would you forbade them from engaging in religious activities as a youth? I'm guessing you would try to stop them from joining a known cult, but what about an organized religion? Would you take the same preventative measures?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Well, what kind of relationship did you have with your child in the first place?
    I've had many a discussion with my daughter on god, religion etc...
    It does not compute that if you've discussed it with your child on a regular basis that they would eventually turn around and decide to join the priesthood.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I've had many a discussion with my daughter on god, religion etc...
    It does not compute that if you've discussed it with your child on a regular basis that they would eventually turn around and decide to join the priesthood.

It would be arrogant of a parent to assume they are the sole source of influence on their child. I think peer influence, especially with the scale of social interaction allowed by the internet, plays a much greater part in shaping how the mind of a teenager develops opinions.

I might of been brought up by devout Christians, but nevertheless I'm an Atheist now. The reverse is highly possible. Just because you might raise your child as an Atheist and teach them to accept evolution does not mean that when they get to an age where they can choose for themselves that they will choose to be an Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I find this idea of raising a child as an atheist rather a strange concept. What does it involve?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I find this idea of raising a child as an atheist rather a strange concept. What does it involve?
    Um, ostentatiously staying in bed on a Sunday morning or getting up to make tea during the Angelus on the telly?

It would be arrogant of a parent to assume they are the sole source of influence on their child.

If you, as a parent, make a lot of time and effort with your child, starting at a very young age and through their teens, I think you'll find that you're infulence is very strong. I know mine was.
    As for peer infulence with regards to religion, that happens enough to make a difference? Not something I've found to be true.
    especially with the scale of social interaction allowed by the internet, plays a much greater part in shaping how the mind of a teenager develops opinions.

You think Bebo makes a difference on how your child views 'god'?

It involves doing nothing. Eventually, at some stage you'll be asked about god and you'll give your own thoughts on the subject and what others believe. Leave them to think on it and come back with what they think themselves.

... one day your child [...] sat you down and told you they where joining the priesthood?
    I'd be quite surprised as my kid's a girl, not a boy and I can't imagine that the CC is going to relax its knacker-requirement in the next fifty years.

Seriously, though, while she's still too young to get hooked on religion, I have a naive hope that she'll grow up to be too smart get entangled in it. Attending an Educate Together school should help in that. If, in her maturity, she does eventually choose to join up with some religious service provider, then it's really up to her at that stage and all one can do is stand back and let her at it, distasteful and all as it may well be.

Anyhow, in my own experience, quite a few religious people have produced irreligious kids, while the other way round seems rare by comparison.

I'll continue to nurture my fond hopes :)

If you, as a parent, make a lot of time and effort with your child, starting at a very young age and through their teens, I think you'll find that you're infulence is very strong. I know mine was.
    As for peer infulence with regards to religion, that happens enough to make a difference? Not something I've found to be true.

You think Bebo makes a difference on how your child views 'god'?

It involves doing nothing. Eventually, at some stage you'll be asked about god and you'll give your own thoughts on the subject and what others believe. Leave them to think on it and come back with what they think themselves.

These seem like conflicting ideas. On one hand you are saying to be a strong influence on your child, and on the other you are saying to wait until they come to you. So which is it? How do you influence your child in regards to religion by doing nothing?

Also, religion comes up a lot as a child. I mean what do you tell your child to do on Ash Wednesday or when the other children are celebrating their first communion? Will you also celebrate all the Christian Holidays with your Child, such as Easter, Halloween and Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I wouldn't raise my child to be an atheist.

If he wanted to join the priesthood I would support him. They can always leave.

These seem like conflicting ideas.

Not at all. I'm guessing you don't have any kids.
    Spending time and effort on your child has nothing to do with religion and more to do with teaching them how to be.
    Teaching the difference between right and wrong. Teaching them how to think for themselves.
    Being with them and spending time with them. Being a good parent so that they respect you and who you are.
    How do you influence your child in regards to religion by doing nothing?

Because if you have built a basis for a good relationship, when they have a question, they will come to you first to get an answer.

robindch wrote: »
    Um, ostentatiously staying in bed on a Sunday morning or getting up to make tea during the Angelus on the telly?
    Sounds somewhat like most 'catholics' I know. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmmm, if they served tea at mass....

• Advertisement

Because if you have built a basis for a good relationship, when they have a question, they will come to you first to get an answer.

Would you say that this approach is foolproof? I mean do you believe that this parenting will mean your child will never join any religion ever? Regardless of their future friends, experiences and trials?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hmmm, if they served tea at mass....
    Many do. Try the Christchurch's sunday morning service -- there's free tea and biscuits in the crypt when the main gig's over upstairs.

And, in all fairness, on a sunday morning, the Christchurch choir together with a good organist, really can blow away the clinging dust of a long Saturday evening, tea or not.

Would you say that this approach is foolproof? I mean do you believe that this parenting will mean your child will never join any religion ever? Regardless of their future friends, experiences and trials?
    Who on earth would suggest that? Certainly not a parent.

Your approach is overtly confrontation sometimes, Goduznt.

Who on earth would suggest that? Certainly not a parent.

Your approach is overtly confrontation sometimes, Goduznt.

If it is I apologize, I'm just trying to get back to my original question. I was not asking how an Atheist should raise their child so as not to join a religion, rather if they do join a religion how would you react and how would you treat your child from that point on.

I'm trying to get at the point that regardless of how well you raise your child there are influences on their opinions and emotions that are out of a parents control. This child doesn't necessarily have to be a teenager, they could be in their 30's and after a spending a while in Tibet they come back home to tell their parents they are becoming Buddhist. Or they could be in love with an individual who is highly religious and are adopting that persons beliefs because of this love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I'm appalled with some of the responses on this thread.

The idea of raising a child an Atheist revolts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

raido9 wrote: »

What? Why? Can you actually raise a child an atheist? Anyone?
    The idea that you raise a child to believe what you believe as the nature of existence to be true is revolting also. No?

I'm trying to get at the point that regardless of how well you raise your child there are influences on their opinions and emotions that are out of a parents control. This child doesn't necessarily have to be a teenager, they could be in their 30's and after a spending a while in Tibet they come back home to tell their parents they are becoming Buddhist. Or they could be in love with an individual who is highly religious and are adopting that persons beliefs because of this love.
    I think most here are rightly sceptical that such a scenario as outlined in your first post would come about. Let's face it - it's unlikely even in a devout household. That said, children and ultimately adults are unpredictable so nobody could claim with certainty their offspring won't be the complete opposite to them.

Actually - your point about a child adopting someone they love's beliefs is a potential situation. An interesting question then would be how would you treat the religious suitor? (Not with must respect, if I'm honest).

How is the concept any different to you raising your child with your beliefs?

Why? :confused:

I should probably be more specific, you can't really raise a child as an Atheist per se. Rather you just raise them without a religious belief and teach them about the natural order of the world and humanity. Its not like you replace Bible reading with making them read "The Origin of species" or something.

Basically you are raising a child exactly the same way as anyone else but with their religious indoctrination removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If that is the case you are probably revolted by the very concept of atheism.

Put the shoe on the other foot for a moment. If I were to say to you, "The idea of raising a child <insert your religious beliefs here> revolts me." how would you feel about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Why? :confused:

I should probably be more specific, you can't really raise a child as an Atheist per se. Rather you just raise them without a religious belief and teach them about the natural order of the world and humanity. Its not like you replace Bible reading with making them read "The Origin of species" or something.
    What you've described above is fair enough, but thats not raising your child an Atheist.
    I don't agree with force feeding children spiritual beliefs or non-beliefs as the case may be.
    Basically you are raising a child exactly the same way as anyone else but just with their religious indoctrination removed.
    As long as the religious indoctrination is not replace with an anti-religious indoctrination!
    Dades wrote:
    How is the concept any different to you raising your child with your beliefs?
    I would consider myself somewhat of an Atheist. I would try not to raise my child with my beliefs.

Advertisement