Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you react if...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Well, the thought of my daughter falling into the sticky trap of religion revolts me. I mean I feel physically sick at the thought, but at the end of the day you can't (should not) try to force anything on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Galvasean wrote: »
    If that is the case you are probably revolted by the very concept of atheism.

Put the shoe on the other foot for a moment. If I were to say to you, "The idea of raising a child <insert your religious beliefs here> revolts me." how would you feel about that?
    I'd agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

This child doesn't necessarily have to be a teenager, they could be in their 30's and after a spending a while in Tibet they come back home to tell their parents they are becoming Buddhist.

I don’t think you understand what a Buddhist is? or what Buddhism is for that matter. Your statement is way to generalized. I know Buddhists who believe in God. I know Buddhists who don’t believe in God... And I know Buddhists that just don’t know or care. Like wise some see it as a religion, others do not. I for one certainly do not.
    Buddhism is not about God, it is about suffering and helping end suffering through wisdom and the activity of compassion. Leaving the God issue aside for the moment, I don't see how these ideals are in conflict this Atheisim. I believe many here already subscribe to these ideals in one form or another in their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

raido9 wrote: »
    What you've described above is fair enough, but thats not raising your child an Atheist.

How do you define Atheism? A child is going to know of God and death and evil from a very young age. If you are Atheist you are going to explain these things to them from an Atheist viewpoint. How is that not raising them as an Atheist?
    Asiaprod wrote: »
    I don’t think you understand what a Buddhist is? or what Buddhism is for that matter.

I do, and this is why I added it into the discussion along with the point about someone choosing the religion of their partner. As there are various different religious beliefs that an individual could practice, Tibetan Buddhism might be one most Atheists might be ok with, whereas Christianity might not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

raido9 wrote: »
    I would consider myself somewhat of an Atheist. I would try not to raise my child with my beliefs.
    As an atheist, not raising your child with your beliefs involves standing back while others attempt to indoctrinate your child with theirs. A child looks to you for guidance and will seek it elsewhere if not offered.

In theory non-intervention sounds great, but if you don't claim your kid - someone else might. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

... one day your child, who you had raised an Atheist and an accepter of evolution sat you down and told you they where joining the priesthood?
    I wouldn't have a problem with it so long as it was what they wanted and it was an informed decision.

My Dad told me once he asked his Dad if he could read An Phoblacht, the Sinn Fein rag, the answer he got was, yeah sure as long as you read every other newspaper including 'The Irish Times'.

My attitude would be similar. You can read the Bible and follow that route as long as you read up about other religions and atheism.

I'd be more worried about kids getting pregnant and doing too much drugs.

Advertisement