Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BROWN BREAD THAT DOESNT CRUMBLE

• 09-10-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Anytime I cook brown bread it ends up crumbling all over the place, what am I doing wrong. I start by putting it in at 200 C for 20mins till it rises and then I reduce heat to 170 C for 1 hr thats from the Avoca Cookbook.

Help

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is your mixture too dry?
    I find that wrapping it in a clean teatowel while it's cooling stops it being too crusty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

first i thought it was because it was too moist. I do wrap it in a towel. Im thinking it might be from cooking at a too high a temp. what temp do u cook yours on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I cook mine pretty high, which leaves the crust nice and crispy, but still moist inside. Dropping to 170 and total cooking time of 80minutes seems excessive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It needs to be cooked at a high temperature - you might try leaving it high and shortening the cooking time to around 45 minutes?

tried that but is uncooked in the middle. I agree total cooking time of 1hr 20 seems excessive, but thats what the avoca recipe says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I suspect that the mixture is too dry, and that cooking time is also too long.

I put my bread into a very hot oven (240) but turn down immediately to 170. It's ready in 50-55 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I put my bread into a very hot oven (240) but turn down immediately to 170. It's ready in 50-55 minutes.

That sounds more like it. Or else leave it at 190-200c for about 50-60 minutes.

What's the recipe you're using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many cookers thermostats are wrong/out of calibration, not sure if there is an easy way to check this. I know in furnaces you put little blocks in which melt or wilt at a given temp

im using the avoca brown bread recipe:

200g white flour
    300g course brown flour
    3 tbs of bran
    2 heaped tsp baking powder
    1 level tsp salt
    1 dessertspoon of treacle
    600-900 milk

mix all dry than wet, it warns not to get the mixture too sloppy
    put in at 200 c for 20 mins then reduce till 170 for 1hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If your oven is fan-assisted, you'll have to reduce the temperature. Are you pre-heating it too? Baking it on the lowest shelf of the oven? Also, check that your baking powder if still potent by adding a teaspoon to some hot water to see if it fizzes.

Because it's a batter dough you're not kneading it, and so not forming much gluten, i.e. no structure. Make sure to give it a good mix, and remember it's easier to make it wetter, as you can simply add some extra flour to achieve the correct consistency. The feel of the dough is the best indicator of proper consistency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement