Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exopansion - Halo3:Recon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Maybe we'll see some of what happened in that fantastic 'Believe' add campaign that released prior to Halo's launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Kiith wrote: »
    Maybe we'll see some of what happened in that fantastic 'Believe' add campaign that released prior to Halo's launch.

That would be amazing, only a year to go, YAY! The trailer is really well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Bungie are working on a Halo 3 prequel - a new campaign but without the master chief

http://www.bungie.net/Projects/whvidldshbyjsdo/default.aspx

Trailer has no gameplay in it but I assume it is the same Halo 3 engine.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If its not a full price game it should be worthwhile, not a fan of Halo online so more single player campaign is welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 colamad

See the bad thing about prequals (and I'm pretty sure I can't spell it) if this is one, is that you already know what happens. It obviously will cost a deal of microsoft points and don't forget the new mythic maps too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I assume it is the same Halo 3 engine.

no it'll use the Halo 2 engine as it happened before 3 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Saw box art for it on Kotaku, so it looks like being a full retail package, and not a DLC campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well its been named and dated and heres the full trailer http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ournextgame
    Fixed your link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Oh a full game? The advertising was misleading so I thought it was DLC. Looks pretty class though. Always loved the orbital shock troopers since reading about them in the halo novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Obviously we still have no idea what gameplay will be like, it may be very close to Halo 3 and will also have it's own online modes.

But the probablility of facing off with one Elite as maybe a boss character would be awesome.

I seen somewhere maps would be forgable but whether that means it corporates Halo 3s forge or another program we don't yet either.

• Advertisement

@ Chrislad

Surely the highest GS on boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm intrigued.

No MC cos of the split between MS & Bungie hence a new protagonist?

I don't think the split has anything to do with MC not being the protagonist. He may well make an appearence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Well, I was wondering who came away with the MC ip is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Impressive Halo stats there Armour Elite.

Still no word on when the mythic maps will be out though.

Bungie is great for multiplayer games but being honest their single player campaigns have always been mediocre.

Cheers, hopefully we can get a game going over the weekend. Im mad for Team Doubles at the minute. We should get a group of 4 or 6 and do some Squad Battle too. Had a couple of good games with RAIN last night.

Have you got a link to your service record on bungie.net?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

From Ign

''First, the basics. Halo 3 Recon takes place in Covenant-occupied New Mombasa, which was damaged when the Prohpet of Regret's ship jumps into a Slipspace portal during the events of Halo 2. But while Master Chief heads off to fight Regret, a lone UNSC Orbital Shock Drop Trooper lands on the recently-leveled surface of New Mombasa. So while Chief is working his way through the events of Halo 2, this new hero is all alone surrounded by Covenant forces in a devastated urban landscape.

If you're playing by yourself, that means you'll be a lone soldier without the powerful armor and abilities of Master Chief. You're more vulnerable to enemy fire and we're guessing you won't be able to leap 30 feet in the air. But that doesn't mean you have to go completely solo. All the features in Halo 3 will be available in Recon, which means four-player online co-op will be included. We're not sure what form your co-op partners may take, but we're assuming they'll be fellow OSDTs.
    Because Recon is based on the Halo 3 engine (likely modified slightly), the basic gameplay mechanics of the expansion will mirror those of the main game. That means it's first-person and not squad-based, contrary to some guesses by Halo fans. To clear up another misconception, the Bungie reps we spoke to said Halo 3: Recon is not a "stealth game," although it will have some stealth elements at points.

A recent Microsoft press release about the game said Recon "will require players to employ more elements of stealth and cunning than ever before." That may be true, but only because the Halo games have never really included those elements in the past. So a little stealth and cunning could go a long way toward making Recon an entirely new Halo experience.

There's still a ton we don't know about Halo 3: Recon. Who is the main character? What will his mission be? What new weapons, vehicles and enemies will be included? So far, Bungie isn't answering those questions, and there's a long wait before Fall 2009. What we do know is that Recon is "less of a galactic romp" (Bungie's words) than Halo 3, meaning you'll likely be limited to a smaller area of play than the parent game.

While Bungie stopped short of saying the game would take place entirely in New Mombasa, they indicated that the environment seen in the Keep It Clean trailer is typical of what you'll see throughout the experience.

Halo fans are used to hearing the guiding words of the Cortana AI in their ear as they battle the Covenant forces, and Recon promises to introduce another computerized helper that's quite different from what Halo fans are used to. Dubbed the Superintendent, this virtual character is an urban infrastructure AI on New Mombasa. How he'll play into the story is still unknown.

We asked Bungie's Jarrard if the company views Recon as a possible new franchise in the Halo universe that could split off and become its own product in the future (a la Halo Wars, which Microsoft plans to expand). But Jarrard said the team has no plans to do another Recon game and that the expansion is more of a labor of love for the company.

"This is our answer back for our fans," who have supported Halo 3 to the tune of 9.5 million unique players since the game launched.

When Halo 3: Recon launches, it will come bundled with two map packs that will be released as DLC beforehand. One is titled the Mythic Map Pack (coming early 2009) and another is still unnamed. Not only will Recon include a full 1000 achievement point, but the Mythic pack will have new achievements of its own.

That's about all we know about Halo 3: Recon so far, but we'll be bringing you updates on this standalone retail expansion (sorry, no downloadable version) in the months to come. ''

Also go to my file share for a pic of Armour getting Tea Bagged by me !!

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=55289720

(In Fairness he did kick my ass after that , and for the rest of the day !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Looking forward to this. More info here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=256303
    article wrote:
    The odds are very much against you, and you're not a Spartan super-soldier - you're just a regular guy with some cool armour and the will to live and fight. So it is going to make players think a little differently about how they approach the combat encounters

So does anyone think we might finally get a more "mature" Halo game?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

kaimera wrote: »
    Well, I was wondering who came away with the MC ip is all.

I think MS own all of the Halo IP, including the MC, remember reading this on Bungie.net.
    The reason for the ODST is that the MC story arc is over, and something new within the Halo universe is being tried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Mergage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

played few games with gamblitis, and ardiko on saturday, didnt lose once. The callouts were insane! How about thursday everyone get online for some gameage? RACOON CITY!! AHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Yeah that was a pretty awesome team!! :D Gotta do that again! Amazing callouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It looks mad good, cant wait for that

+ the music for Halo is amazin

Advertisement