Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 10MB vs 20MB

Options
  • 09-10-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am thinking of getting NTL broadband...not sure if I should go for the 10MB or the 20MB, the difference is only 10€, so not a big deal, but I wonder if the performance is much difference? I really would like a strong connection for online gaming (poker) and youtube videos, etc.... any suggestion from NTL users?

Location is Limerick City Centre.

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've 20mb but I'm only getting 11mb and I think nearly everyone on 20mb is having problems - better stick to the 10 mb I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

same boat! go with the 10..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You can watch youtube and play poker on the 3mb line no problem, the higher speeds would benefit you if you are going to download large files a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

TripleAce wrote: »
    Hi, I am thinking of getting NTL broadband...not sure if I should go for the 10MB or the 20MB, the difference is only 10€, so not a big deal, but I wonder if the performance is much difference? I really would like a strong connection for online gaming (poker) and youtube videos, etc.... any suggestion from NTL users?

Location is Limerick City Centre.

Thank you in advance :)
    >>>>>
    Is fast Broadband Only Really Necessary for Gamers?
    and is a Ping of 200ms good or bad or whats a good Ping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    Is fast Broadband Only Really Necessary for Gamers?

Not really, no. There are more and more video streaming sites cropping up (though most are still US-only) that offer even HD video - the higher speeds really help with getting a smooth video. And it's nice to be able to download any file you need, be it an update or a game, etc that much faster.
    and is a Ping of 200ms good or bad or whats a good Ping?

Gaming doesn't need the overall speed as much as it needs a good ping. It kinda depends on the game, but generally a ping under 50ms would be good, 100ms or under is still manageable and 150ms is the upper limit IMO. Anything beyond that and the lag will be just too bad in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

J-blk wrote: »
    Not really, no. There are more and more video streaming sites cropping up (though most are still US-only) that offer even HD video - the higher speeds really help with getting a smooth video. And it's nice to be able to download any file you need, be it an update or a game, etc that much faster.

Gaming doesn't need the overall speed as much as it needs a good ping. It kinda depends on the game, but generally a ping under 50ms would be good, 100ms or under is still manageable and 150ms is the upper limit IMO. Anything beyond that and the lag will be just too bad in the game.
    >>>>
    Well I dont game,except www.betfair.co.uk will it make a difference on that?

The Internet Globally nearing state of collapse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/7535735.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well I dont game,except www.betfair.co.uk will it make a difference on that?

I haven't tried any of the online gambling sites but I'd assume the games will work fine with any decent broadband connection, even 2-3Mbps as you'll probably only be concerned with pages loading/reloading, just like any other site. High pings won't be a problem - the pings affect your lag, so in a shooter or racing game, you could literally be seconds (though that would be some lag) behind other players on the server, making it impossible to play.

If all you're looking for gaming-wise is the betting site and you're debating 10 or 20Mbps, I'd just go for the 10Mbps and save the few quid - there's no difference other than the rated speeds between them.

Advertisement