Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential iPhone Apps

• 09-10-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭

Had a look through the forum and couldn't see a thread like this anywhere. Apologies if one already exists.

Any recommended Apps for iPhone?

So far I've got:
    • NetNewsWire, a news RSS feeder (I think...)
    • Stanza, a handy little eBook reader that comes with a free copy of The Time Machine by HG Wells.
    • Tap Tap Revenge, A Guitar Hero-style tapping game, and
    • Flashlight, which turns my €100 iPhone into a flashlight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

A list of whats on my ipod touch in absolutely no order of preference. A lot of free applications and some other paid for apps.
    Would like to see what other apps people are running and their opinion of them.
    If anyone wants to know anything about the apps below just ask!
    Its difficult using the App Store as you cannot trial applications.

*Music
    Beatmaker
    Band
    Pianist
    Guitarist
    Rain Stick
    IR 909
    Metronome
    Sruti Box
    White Noise
    Pocket Guitar
    Sounds of Nature

*Games
    Aurora Feint
    Texas Hold Em
    Crash Kart
    JirboBreak
    JirboMatch
    Moonlight Mahjong Lite
    Tap Tap
    Monkey Ball
    Hangman
    Cubes Lite
    Hanoi
    Jawbreaker
    Labyrinth LE
    Skippy Lite
    Sudoku
    Cro-Mag Rally
    2 Across
    TanZen Lite
    Tris
    Solitare Free
    Scramboni

*Productivity/Work
    Zenbe Lists
    Zepto Pad
    IProcrastinate Tasks

*Misc/Utilities
    Banner Free
    Currency
    Remote
    iChoose
    iPhunny
    CEO Bingo
    1Password
    Air Sharing

*Applications
    Crosswords
    Handmark Express
    Bloomberg
    Instapaper
    Pocketpedia
    Weather Bug
    eReader
    Shakespere
    Stanza
    History Lite

*Social/News
    Facebook
    Eventful
    Jamd
    Mobile News
    NY Times
    ShoZu
    Twitterific
    Ebay
    Wikipanion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Cool, downloading some of them now - I love the idea behind Shakespeare! (Though it does make the collecting I've been doing for the last while a bit redundant...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Some apps I use daily:

AirSharing - Let's you USB your iPhone as a WiFi hard drive.
    Twinkle - Twitter with location awareness.
    NetNewsWire - RSS feed aggregator
    Wurdle - GREAT word game, really addictive.
    Facebook - Umm... facebook.
    WordPress - Write and manage blog entries on your WordPress blog.
    iRecorder - Record voice notes.
    Fring - Adds Skype, MSN, Google Talk, SIP to your iPhone!
    eBay - Official eBay app.

Just bought Collage too, which looks pretty cool!

Er...don't suppose people would mind explaining what their apps do?

Just got iKodo, a traditional Japanese instrument which works extremely well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

• Flashlight, which turns my €100 iPhone into a flashlight.

I'll give ya €110!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

quintron wrote: »
    A list of whats on my ipod touch in absolutely no order of preference. A lot of free applications and some other paid for apps.
    Would like to see what other apps people are running and their opinion of them.
    If anyone wants to know anything about the apps below just ask!
    Its difficult using the App Store as you cannot trial applications.

*Music
    Beatmaker
    Band
    Pianist
    Guitarist
    Rain Stick
    IR 909
    Metronome
    Sruti Box
    White Noise
    Pocket Guitar
    Sounds of Nature

*Games
    Aurora Feint
    Texas Hold Em
    Crash Kart
    JirboBreak
    JirboMatch
    Moonlight Mahjong Lite
    Tap Tap
    Monkey Ball
    Hangman
    Cubes Lite
    Hanoi
    Jawbreaker
    Labyrinth LE
    Skippy Lite
    Sudoku
    Cro-Mag Rally
    2 Across
    TanZen Lite
    Tris
    Solitare Free
    Scramboni

*Productivity/Work
    Zenbe Lists
    Zepto Pad
    IProcrastinate Tasks

*Misc/Utilities
    Banner Free
    Currency
    Remote
    iChoose
    iPhunny
    CEO Bingo
    1Password
    Air Sharing

*Applications
    Crosswords
    Handmark Express
    Bloomberg
    Instapaper
    Pocketpedia
    Weather Bug
    eReader
    Shakespere
    Stanza
    History Lite

*Social/News
    Facebook
    Eventful
    Jamd
    Mobile News
    NY Times
    ShoZu
    Twitterific
    Ebay
    Wikipanion

You should explain what these are for people who don't know.

whisht wrote: »
    I'll give ya €110!! :D

Will you pay my bills too?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

:eek:
    Theres bills!!!!

Nobody told me :(

You should explain what these are for people who don't know.
    I see where you are coming from, but its a longish list and I would hope Google would be a valuable assistant. After all that is part of the "fun".
    As a stop gap I would recommend this You Tube channel for application previews: "AppStoreReviewer"
    Visit it here: http://ie.youtube.com/user/AppStoreReviewer
    Hes a kid who reviews applications so its as close as you'll get to trial an app.

I'll write descriptions later this evening if I get a chance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I try to avoid downloading every app under the sun, and just the ones I know I'll use.

My most used would be:

Eirtext Pro (free texts when the damned O2 site is working)
    AllRadio (Net Radio inc a few Irish stations)
    Facebook
    iFooty (handy up to date premiership news from the BBC - also includes a brilliant mobile version of their site's Live Match update!)
    Wikipanion

The misc converter apps are handy too - currency, weight, metric etc.

I also have a cool site www.iphlickr.com bookmarked that works like an app to browse your (or any) Flickr account.

I love my 3G iPhone :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Dades wrote: »

I love my 3G iPhone :p

So do I when Safari does not crash every 10 minutes.

+1 for ifooty.............a must for any football fan!

So do I when Safari does not crash every 10 minutes.

+1 for ifooty.............a must for any football fan!

You'll be happy to hear that the version of Safari in the firmware 2.2 beta is a LOT more stable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Funny, I've never had problems with Safari.

Some apps yeah, but not the web.

Despite all my apps.. (I just love testing them and seeing what apples OS can and can't do ;)) I've never had a problem with Safari. All app issues seem to be a direct issue with ram/memory cache handling.
    If you surf a sucsession of media, image intensive web pages, it will eventually run out of memory. Problem is that with some applications (even Safari) this residual cache does not clear itself upon closing and/or launching another application and the app fails to launch (if not enough memory) or launchs and realises its very crowded and either freezes or closes. There are some apps in the app store which have serious memory handling issues (e.g Cro-Mag when it first came out) and this coupled with the OS's own memory handling can cause a lot of crashes. The problem is that it takes a long time thru the app store to make the updates available sometimes weeks which can be a pain for the user.

Dades wrote: »
    Eirtext Pro

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name of that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

not insalled much yet

shazam - track id identifier
    iFooty - keeps me up to date in work with all latest footy news
    Fring - msn & some skype calls
    wikipanion - wiki!
    wurdle - cool word game
    todo - app for making to do lists
    remote - control itunes & quicktime from iphone

thats all for the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

As you can imagine, i have loads of apps on my iphone now. Way too many to list out so i'll list out a few which stand out as i flick through the pages.

GAMES

Super Monkey Ball- A really fun game. Accelerometer based controls. Its the first one i bought from the app store and i still play it now and then.
    Enigmo- bought this two days ago as i seen it on sale for €1.59 and it was well worth the full price i'd say! Very addictive puzzle/physics based game.
    Cro Mag Rally-Also currently on sale for €1.59. Accelerometer based controls. It was a bit buggy when i first got it, but it seems much more stable now. You really need to be at home when playing this as i got some strange looks from an old lady the other day on the train!
    iCopter- I loved this game on my ipod touch via installer. This version is better as it looks nicer and saves your highscores when you quit the app. A bit pissed of at the thought of paying for it when i used to have it for free, but its only 79c and i think it well worth it for the new features.
    Moto Chaser- I just bought this app this morning for 79c and its supposed to be €8! The reviews said it was hard to control and i agree so far, but maybe it needs dome getting used to. Still, for the massive saving, you can't go wrong.

I think thats all the games that i'v paid for. As for the free ones i wont bother listing them out as im sure most people have tried them already. Most of the obvious ones apply, TTR etc etc. One you should check out though is Papi-Jump. Very addictive!
    I apologize if this post is very long-winded, but im bored so im gona keep typing.

Other useful apps

Allradio- I use it with no issues what so ever. Get todayFM and newstalk without issue. only 79c so give it a try at least.
    EirText Pro- €2.39 for the pro version, 79c for the regular version. This allows you to use your free webtexts by sending your text messages over 3G. By far the app i use the most. I'm sure most people know this app well by now
    Ambience- 79c- This app contains more than 150mb of peaceful sounds within it. I particularly like the rain sounds. You must have your headphones to use this app as the built-in speakers don't do it justice at all.
    Bloomberg-FREE- Even before the world went crazy wanting info about the credit crunch, this app was very useful to me. It's a nice replacement to apples own "stocks" app and the UI is very clean. It shows you headlines etc all from the the opening menu and allows you to pulls results from companies you want to know about.
    AroundMe- FREE- This works well even in Ireland. I'v used it around the city centre just to test it and it works well from what i can see.
    FRING-FREE- MSN, Skype, etc etc etc. I tried the skype from wifi at home and it worked. That said it was only for like 30 secs to test it. I do use the msn a bit though
    Twitterific- FREE- I really like the idea behind twitter and a couple of my friends are using it now. If your friends are on twitter its great. If not, no point in getting this app

I have a lot more apps on my iphone but if i list them all out nobody will read the list. And tbh, these are the ones that caught my attention flicking through the pages while writing this.

Take advantage of the SALE prices on itunes at the moment. Like, Moto Chase was a shocker for me to see. It's only 79c when it should be €8. You'd be sick if you paid full price and seen it on sale the next day.

Hopefully more people will contribute to this thread in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

I'll just list the ones i have that i am either very impressed or very dissapointed with.

First the really good ones:

WiFinder - Great little app for finding wifi networks. It tries to log on so can tell you in advance the ones that will be available for you.

Evernote - Just class. Go read about it. I couldnt posibly tell you how good it is here. Voice notes, picture notes etc all stored online

Wikipanion - Wikipedia, love it.

Palringo - IM client. Skype, MSN, twitter and many more.

Reqall - Excellent. Speak your notes or meetings and it converts them to text and emails it to you. Also reminds you when the time comes. This has so much potential. Imagine being able to say "Email Biddy, hello there. hows it going." and it takes then email address from your contacts and emails the text to them. Not a feature yet but coming.

Truphone - VOIP as it should be done. Pity you have to pay for calls though, but at least it works without killer delays in calls like Fring has

Now for the overrated ones:

Fring - I waited so long for this but its just not workable at all for voice. Lag is far too much using SIP or Skype. You just cannot have a proper conversation. They also pass your sip login credentials over half of the internet for all to see.

AllRadio - This thing is just so buggy i cant believe it ever was released. It cant take travelling on the bus or even moving from 3g to edge and back. When it just stops playing you have to come out, go back in and select your channel again and youl get another couple of minutes of radio on the bus. Not good enough to sell at all. Even for free its rubbish. needs to at least be stable.

iFooty - Pity there are no live scores for all maches on the one page. But nothing bad to say otherwise.

Eirtext - I have the free version and the texts never arrive. Very annoying when you think someone has got a text and they havent even got it. It just doesnt work. It used to work but hasnt in months. Very poor. So bad im not even going to try the paid vesion as im not convinced this one will work after my experience with the free version.

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Eirtext - I have the free version and the texts never arrive. Very annoying when you think someone has got a text and they havent even got it. It just doesnt work. It used to work but hasnt in months. Very poor. So bad im not even going to try the paid vesion as im not convinced this one will work after my experience with the free version.

Did you email me for support?

The top two issues that people are having with my apps are:

1 - Wrong username / password. Make sure you can log in to the website, then carefully re-type your settings into EirText.
    2 - Bad install. Try removing the app and re-installing using iTunes.

There was an issue with the apps on firmware 2.1, but this has since been addressed with updates. Check for updates in iTunes if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Did you email me for support?

The top two issues that people are having with my apps are:

1 - Wrong username / password. Make sure you can log in to the website, then carefully re-type your settings into EirText.
    2 - Bad install. Try removing the app and re-installing using iTunes.

There was an issue with the apps on firmware 2.1, but this has since been addressed with updates. Check for updates in iTunes if you haven't already.

My username and password are correct. Im not the only one i know having the same problem. It worked for a while and after the iphone upgrade hasnt worked since. I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. no joy at all. A guy i worked with said his was fine so i asked him to text a couple of people beside him to see. not one of them got the texts. The problem with it is that people think the texts they are sending are gettin through but they arent.
    THB a person needs to be sure their texts are getting through and eirtext just doesnt povide that security.

• Advertisement

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    My username and password are correct. Im not the only one i know having the same problem. It worked for a while and after the iphone upgrade hasnt worked since. I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. no joy at all. A guy i worked with said his was fine so i asked him to text a couple of people beside him to see. not one of them got the texts. The problem with it is that people think the texts they are sending are gettin through but they arent.
    THB a person needs to be sure their texts are getting through and eirtext just doesnt povide that security.

PM me your email address and we'll try to sort this out. I don't want to take up any more of this thread.

Has anybody downloaded Crash Racing?? I'v seen it in the top 10 for the last while? I'm tempted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Light Saber app is brilliant for the geeky among us and free too!
    Download it you will....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

PDANet is the best iPhone app by far. It lets you tether your iPhone to your laptop as a modem (like Netshare). I jailbroke just to use this 1 app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Well i just thought i'd add some more apps that i'v been using lately.

Wurdle-A really good word puzzle game. Has great longevity to it and is really good value at €1.59.

Topple- read about this one online and was glad i bought it. Its a game where you have to try and balance blocks on top of each other and try and get them to reach a certain point. Thats a bad explanation, but look at it in the app store and you'll get what i mean.... 79c is very inexpensive too.

RJDJ- its this wierd music making/voice mixing app that creates "music" out of whatever noises it picks up from the mic. I only have the free one and its pretty cool so far. If you want more variation i think you get tonnes of extra in the paid version, but i personally see no point in paying for it.

Thats all.... C'Mon though people, post up what apps you like or dislike. It's handy to have an opinion of an app before you buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I use FlyTunes the most, a free internet radio app. Sadly there is no Irish stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

1. Jaadu...lets you log onto your PC remotely (handy to get access to stored files/e mails etc but expensive at $20 though)
    2. Stanza...free e book reader
    3. Aroundme...free
    4. Laz touch...kinda like risk...also free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

any of you playing Aurora Feint?
    my code is izi0favf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

higster wrote: »
    1. Jaadu...lets you log onto your PC remotely (handy to get access to stored files/e mails etc but expensive at $20 though)
    2. Stanza...free e book reader
    3. Aroundme...free
    4. Laz touch...kinda like risk...also free
    Isnt there a free VNC app which would do the same.

Advertisement