Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing a Bad Climbing Habit

Options
  • 09-10-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure I've done this plenty of times, and I know for certain that I've had close ones due to someone in front of me doing it when I've been a bit too close to them.

As read on Roadbikerider.com...
    Fixing a Bad Climbing Habit

Q: On our group rides, one guy throws his bike back every time he stands on a climb. It's miserable to ride behind him. How can we help him correct this dangerous habit? -- Shirley B.

Coach Fred Matheny Replies: Making the bike kick back when going from sitting to standing on a hill is a common technique flaw. Unfortunately, it's also a natural action. Almost all new riders do it without realizing it, and it seems to be a problem for some veterans too.

The danger is to the rider behind. When a front wheel is struck, it's easy to lose control and fall. Meanwhile, the front guy will feel only a bump against his rear wheel.

The bike doesn't actually go backward when a rider stands, of course. It just seems to in relative terms because the bike slows abruptly.

Here's what's happening and how to prevent it:

When standing on a climb, the tendency is to pull back on the bar and lurch forward to rise from the saddle. This interrupts the pedaling action and, because of the grade, the bike decelerates.

The rider doesn't sense that happening. Ignorance in this case really is bliss. It's certainly disconcerting and dangerous for the rider behind, and it's not hard to prevent or at least minimize.

---Stand on a power stroke. When a rider is doing it wrong, explain what's happening and suggest that he practice his timing so he stands as one pedal comes over the top. By making a smooth stroke this way as power is being applied, he'll keep more of his speed through the transition.

---Push the bike forward. As he stands, he should also push ahead slightly with his hands on the brake lever hoods. When timed with the key pedal stroke, this move further offsets any speed loss that slows the bike relative to the one behind.

---Communicate. Some riders always say "Standing!" just before they do. This alert is helpful, but it isn't a substitute for proper technique.

Tip! When following any rider on a climb, it's a good idea to leave at least a foot (20 cm) between your front wheel and his rear wheel, and ride several inches to the left or right rather than directly behind. This creates a safety margin no matter how good the guy's standing technique. Stay aware of body movements for signs that a rider is about to stand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This happened to me on the Sean Kelly, on the final climb- guy in front of me did it, I hit his wheel and went over the bars. He didn't even realise what happened! In fairness to him he was a monster that pulled me around a fair bit of the end of the course and I should have been paying better attention myself so I wouldn't hold it against him that much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yikes, never even thought about that! Let me know if I do it next time I'm out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm aware of it and try consciously not to do it if someone is on my wheel on a climb. Having said that, there's no point in drafting someone going up hill, so leaving a foot or two between wheels is always a good idea. I think it has potential to happen most on short climbs when everyone is already drafting and starts standing up to keep the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

The joys of being a loner! Jebus I'd never have thought group riding could be so technical, if I ever get out on a spin with you all I'll announce myself so ye can stay the hell away! I'm bound to be leathal. Mind you, the likelyhood of me being infront of anyone is pretty slim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

'68 wrote:
    Mind you, the likelyhood of me being infront of anyone is pretty slim:D

Such modesty. And yet in front of me on a hill is how I often remember you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

unionman wrote: »
    Such modesty. And yet in front of me on a hill is how I often remember you:D

It's been a while though. Might get out on Sunday, see if swapped my climbing hills abilities for the fixing house ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    I think it has potential to happen most on short climbs when everyone is already drafting and starts standing up to keep the pace.

That's exactly when it seems to happen.
    Another thing that can catch you out is when the leaders ease off as they go over the top. This cause a ripple back effect, so the riders that aren't quite at the top almost come to a stop!

Advertisement