Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Bike on line

Options
  • 09-10-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Lads, For those of you who have brought on line what condition does the bike come in. Is it hard to assemble or pretty straighforward?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've only bought from wiggle, bike arrives ready to go, just clamp on the handlebars and you're away!

I think CRC requires some more assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bought mine from epic cycles (online LBS in England). Just needed to turn handlebars/forks around and put pedals on.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Wiggle are great 5 mins and your there, just pedals and handlebars

Chainreaction is a lot more work and set up tends to need a lot of messing with

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

bought mine at Roe Valley Cycles, http://www.roevalleycycles.co.uk/

and got it couriered down with Asap Couriers, for €50...
    http://www.asapcouriers.ie/

All I had to do was put front wheel and pedals on.
    Was built very well - nothing loose and all bits in the right place.
    Gears ready to go (no service needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Bought mine with Evans and it came assembled (bar the pedals which you oftern have to buy seperately) - My bro got his with CRC and he had to assemble a fair bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

bought mine in http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/, came boxed as they would receive from supplier, so needed a bit of work, the plus side is, you get to pick 10% of the value of your bike in accessories for free, getting another in New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

I bought 2 bikes from wiggle this year, can't fault them on anything, top service.
    If you know your sizing go with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I have built up 5 no problem, it is not that hard, you could always bring it to a bike shop, should take them ~20mins, you would still potentially save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A lot of bike shops wouldn't really appreciate that too much I reckon (some wouldn't mind though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Junior

blorg wrote: »
    A lot of bike shops wouldn't really appreciate that too much I reckon (some wouldn't mind though.)

I brought my frame and groupset to a local guy here Tony O'Mahony, he built the bike and the wheels for me no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Bought mine from www.cult.si , once it arrived just fitted the wheels pedals and bars and bobs your aunty!

TomC

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Junior wrote: »
    I brought my frame and groupset to a local guy here Tony O'Mahony, he built the bike and the wheels for me no problem.

Bought my bike off Tony O' Mahony , absolute gent , he's a credit to the Local Bike Shop fraternity , well worth the 25 mile drive from Waterford city . Did a huge favour for me when my bike gave me a problem(broken hub) the day before the Sean Kelly cycle too , when the local bike shops here in Waterford were unwilling/ too busy to help me ... service like that is not easily forgotten .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

bought from RA. Some assembly required. Gears and brakes done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

tomc wrote: »
    Bought mine from www.cult.si

You have to love the picture on their homepage...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You have to love the picture on their homepage...

Nice bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Bought my bike off Tony O' Mahony , absolute gent , he's a credit to the Local Bike Shop fraternity , well worth the 25 mile drive from Waterford city . Did a huge favour for me when my bike gave me a problem(broken hub) the day before the Sean Kelly cycle too , when the local bike shops here in Waterford were unwilling/ too busy to help me ... service like that is not easily forgotten .

Where about is he located ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I got one from CRC, and as far as I can remember it was straightforward enough -
    Handlebars had to attached to stem
    Seatpost to saddle
    Pedals
    Back wheel
    Some brake adjustment, but gears were fine.

I have also got one from Evans before, and I think I only had to fix the handlebars and attach the back wheel.

All in all, it's pretty straighforward once the gears and brakes are set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Won't appreciate a paying customer?

I take it you mean they would be pissed off you didn't buy the bike from them, but still you are a paying customer. The bike is bought now, they got no money from you but can if they build it.

And if they asked how much you paid for it then there is probably nothing they could say to you, i.e. they will certainly not be saying "should have bought from us". Probably a good 30-40% less than here if you get a good online offer. My mate got a FCR2 for €500 delivered, I told him to check online, don't think he bothered looking in town first. Then he went to town to get other stuff for the bike and comparable bikes were huge money

It would be similar to going to a PC shop with a hard disk and paying them to install it. Its what their business is TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't disagree with anything you say ruprect but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if you took a bike you bought off the internet into for example Cycleogical and asked them to assemble it.

Some shops won't appreciate it; others won't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I don't disagree with anything you say ruprect but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if you took a bike you bought off the internet into for example Cycleogical and asked them to assemble it.

Some shops won't appreciate it; others won't mind.

Yeah I've heard that place isn't that receptive to genuine potential buyers of entire bikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

When I bought mine I brought it to my LBS, the Bike Rack just off Rochestown Avenue, they built it, serviced everything, for their standard €40 fee.
    No problems, didn't even ask where I got it, happy as a pig in s****e:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Even if you bought it there they can be jerks!

If you are unsure about your ability when it comes to building/maintaining a bike, its worth paying the extra premium for peace of mind that comes with a local bike shop purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Actually come to think of it what's a standard service charge?
    I see €40 mentioned above

For checking (not replacing anything) the brakes (re-alinement, tightening cables) and gears (tightening cables, and correct shifters).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

henboy wrote: »
    Where about is he located ?

Sorry for the late reply henboy , if you know Dungarvan ,take a left at the 1st roundabout coming from Waterford side ( one that always has the welcome to Dungarvan flower display ). Take the next right and he's halfway down the street on the right . You'll see a few 2nd hand bikes on display outside the shop .

Raam wrote: »
    Nice bike.

There's a bike on the page ? Where ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Junior wrote: »
    There's a bike on the page ? Where ? :D
    On the left, the village bike :)

tina.koren.jpg

She's not from any village round here I tell ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

rubadub wrote: »
    tina.koren.jpg

Look at those calves, there's no way she's a cyclist.

Advertisement