Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience/Internships in Electronic and/or Electrical Engineering

Options
  • 09-10-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I went as far back as January of this year and couldn't find this topic so I'm starting new

I've got the enviable position of getting a list together of all the places that offer ELECTRONIC and/or ELECTRICAL students internships for the summer. I'm a final year electrical myself in UCD and we've never had such a list so I'm trying to get one together.

I was wondering if any of your companies, or if you know of any who offer or have offered such things in the past. Any help would be great, and if you could pm them to me, if you don't want to write them down, I'd be eternally grateful

I'm going through many roads to find these baby's and I just thought that maybe this might help too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Best of luck with that. I read somewhere that 33% of electical engineers have been let go. Im in Civil and id say the figure is prob higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

I think this would be a hugely valuable sticky resource for engineering students if you were willing to share your own info with that contributed by the boards people.

Obviously Analog Devices Limerick & Cork, Intel, Leixlip, spring to mind. Motorola/Freescale Cork was great until they moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

O2 Ireland is another where I worked. But I feel allot of internships are taken in these fields, by colleges who do dedicated internship like UL and DCU, as part of the course. I know allot of the times in DCU, there are too many Jobs for students in third yr and it often goes to students from other yrs!
    CathalMc wrote: »
    I think this would be a hugely valuable sticky resource for engineering students if you were willing to share your own info with that contributed by the boards people.

Obviously Analog Devices Limerick & Cork, Intel, Leixlip, spring to mind. Motorola/Freescale Cork was great until they moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Best of luck with that. I read somewhere that 33% of electical engineers have been let go. Im in Civil and id say the figure is prob higher.

Thats rediculous. 33%? No way! I'm a graduate and haven't heard of anyone in Electrical Engineering getting let of. Nearly everyone in my course who wanted a job got one. With the demand for renewables and alternative forms of power, I can't see there being a fall in demand for graduates any time soon.

OP, Ericsson is a big one, particularly for anyone interesting in Communications. Siemens and ESB and its subsidiaries, obviously for anyone interested in Power or Control. I know someone who had an internship with Ebay also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Thats rediculous. 33%? No way! I'm a graduate and haven't heard of anyone in Electrical Engineering getting let of. Nearly everyone in my course who wanted a job got one. With the demand for renewables and alternative forms of power, I can't see there being a fall in demand for graduates any time soon.

OP, Ericsson is a big one, particularly for anyone interesting in Communications. Siemens and ESB and its subsidiaries, obviously for anyone interested in Power or Control. I know someone who had an internship with Ebay also.

Ye guys are amazing so far!

And off topic (my own so I don't really want to... :rolleyes:) but I know all the electrical graduates this year got jobs. All 2 of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I read somewhere that 33% of electical engineers have been let go
    In the construction sector things are quieter, but everywhere else seems OK. As a final year electrical engineering student my on experience was 3 job offers for work experience last summer.
    With the demand for renewables and alternative forms of power, I can't see there being a fall in demand for graduates any time soon.
    Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

I did my internship with EirGrid, great company and they are going strong so I am sure they will have internships this year. Also ESB or ESBI might also have some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GenericUser

don't believe everything you read:)
    Big demand for Electrical Engineers in Ireland. Especially those with High Voltage knowledge / experience. Shoudlnt be a problem for an Electrical Engineering Grad to get job in ESB / ESBI / EirGrid etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

One of my lecturers told us a friend of his in london gets about 10 cv's a day for mechanical (m&e) engineers but cant find any electrical engineers. He advised us to go down the electrical path. I would be very interested in this list if you get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

token56 wrote: »
    I did my internship with EirGrid, great company and they are going strong so I am sure they will have internships this year. Also ESB or ESBI might also have some.

I'm doing my placement in Eirgrid next summer, can you tell me what department you were in and what you did? It would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement