Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wontons and dumplings

• 09-10-2008 1:04pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got back from SE Asia, where I am pretty sure I ate my own weight in Wontons and dumplings. The fillings varied quite a lot, everything from prawns to spicy pork to vegtables. The cooking methods varied as well, crispy or steamed mainly but on one glorious occasion in Singapore, steamed and then fried.

Anyone got any good recipes for the little pieces of heaven?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I walk through Chinatown to get home everyday so I only ever just buy them remade and steam & fry at home.

I have a recipe for making home made ones but because they seem 'fiddly' I'd suggest a videojug or youtube video showing you how it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wontons are fried, Jiao tze are the ones in soup, and Gwoh Tieh are the one steamed and fried, these are the Chinese names there are probably many different variations depending on where you eat them.
    I will try and find some recipes.
    There was a chinese guy on here a while back maybe he could help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Wontons are fried, Jiao tze are the ones in soup, and Gwoh Tieh are the one steamed and fried, these are the Chinese names there are probably many different variations depending on where you eat them.
    Your information are a little inaccurate. Wonton is a type of dumpling made with thin wrappers with minced pork and prawn/shrimp fillings. They are usually boiled in soup and eaten with noodle soup but you can also deep fry them.

Jiao tze is another type of dumpling but made with a much thicker doughy wrapper, has a different shape and usually has mince meat and veg fillings. These are usually boiled and can also be steamed and pan fried (that gives it a steamed top and crunchy fried bottom texture). I think they actually have different names for the same kind of dumplings if you cook them using different cooking methods.

Here's the wikipedia entry for jiaozi
    wikipedia wrote:
    Jiaozi typically consist of a ground meat and/or vegetable filling wrapped into a thinly rolled piece of dough, which is then sealed by pressing the edges together or by crimping. Jiaozi should not be confused with wonton: jiaozi have a thicker, chewier skin and a flatter, more oblate, double-saucer like shape (similar in shape to ravioli), and are usually eaten with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce (and/or hot chili sauce); while wontons have thinner skin, are sphere-shaped, and are usually served in broth. The dough for the jiaozi and wonton wrapper also consist of different ingredients.

Not sure what gwoh tieh is but it's probably one of the many variations with different names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

regarding to wonton's and dumplings ... as a chef i love going into the chinese restaurants for dim sum it is great and the flavour's are big, with very different textures,,

recommended to anyone that are really into food

served between 12pm --- 5 pm

its like chinese tapas....:o:D

there are a couple of places in dublin ]

The Good World gorges st

The New Milliiumm across the st stephens green shopping centers front door beside the spec's shop.

and there is an other one some were near brown thomas somewere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Peoples,

Cheers for the replies. I ordered myself a dim sum cookbook from ebay. I am still jonesing for some dumplings though so I think I am going to hit one of those dim sum restraunts reccomended.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 on Good World dim sum.... anyone know of any outside of the capital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

yah depending how far!!!1 i think belfast is the next one up unless their is some new one's open?

lee garden belfast

sun kee belfast

chefsden :)

Advertisement