Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what happened on South Link yesterday morning?

Options
  • 09-10-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

How many accidents?? How many cars involved? I'm hearing different reports.

The weather was perfect, was it a case of careless driving again? All it takes is a few idiots to bring the commuting population of the city to a standstill...so annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I was told that the road was resurfaced and that was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was told that the road was resurfaced and that was the cause.

so was it skidding that caused the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

from what i heard there were 2 accidents on each side of the road and one was school bus- nothing major. but cos there was an accident on the other side the gards couldnt close the road and investigate the bus accident... on ther other side of the road was a 3 car crash but not like a "pile up". Might have been the resurfaced, the weather was good but it ground was wet.
    thats what i heard.
    your right run_Forrest_run it just takes one idiot to mess up everyone’s day!!!

but the thing i cant understand is if you are coming from douglas/bishopstown/wilton why dont they have some warning system tell ppl of an accident in the tunnel and to divert into the city... and the same from the other side. some ppl had to wait for hours!!

clansman wrote: »

but the thing i cant understand is if you are coming from douglas/bishopstown/wilton why dont they have some warning system tell ppl of an accident in the tunnel and to divert into the city... and the same from the other side. some ppl had to wait for hours!!

exactly, they should have info screens around every junction (entry/exit point) to the SouthLink, and they should be located well in advance to allow the drivers to safely take an alternative route without slamming on the brakes and risking a deathly maneuver.

But hey, we are talking about Ireland here, maybe they can set up an action group to talk about it for about 2 years :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

But hey, we are talking about Ireland here, maybe they can set up an action group to talk about it for about 2 years :rolleyes:

and spend millions on meetings, engineers, surveys and afternoon lunch get togethers... to finally scrap the idea due to lack of funding...

• Advertisement

clansman wrote: »
    and spend millions on meetings, engineers, surveys and afternoon lunch get togethers... to finally scrap the idea due to lack of funding...

so true :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What I want to know is what happens on the link every ****ing morning by the west Douglas on-ramp. I pass there shortly after 7:30 every morning and every morning the traffic in the overtaking land slows to 30mph all of a sudden, usually as you go over the flyover next to the shopping centre. I really can't figure out why. The traffic in the inside lane continues at it's normal pace, the next exit is a good bit away and it's not like there's a queue all the way back from the Sarsfield Road roundabout. Whoever is causing it should have their license taken away before somebody gets killed....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What I want to know is what happens on the link every ****ing morning by the west Douglas on-ramp. I pass there shortly after 7:30 every morning and every morning the traffic in the overtaking land slows to 30mph all of a sudden, usually as you go over the flyover next to the shopping centre. I really can't figure out why. The traffic in the inside lane continues at it's normal pace, the next exit is a good bit away and it's not like there's a queue all the way back from the Sarsfield Road roundabout. Whoever is causing it should have their license taken away before somebody gets killed....

This gets my goat as well - although when I get there it's both lanes and a queue backed up to Rochestown! The reason is quite simple I reckon: people driving over the Douglas flyover slow down, which causes the people behind to brake, leading to a ripple effect and a big ****ing jam! Why do they slow down? Beside their being morons, presumably it's due the road 'narrowing' at that point (it doesn't really - the hard shoulder disappears).......if everyone drove at a steady pace there would be no problem!

This gets my goat as well - although when I get there it's both lanes and a queue backed up to Rochestown! The reason is quite simple I reckon: people driving over the Douglas flyover slow down, which causes the people behind to brake, leading to a ripple effect and a big ****ing jam! Why do they slow down? Beside their being morons, presumably it's due the road 'narrowing' at that point (it doesn't really - the hard shoulder disappears).......if everyone drove at a steady pace there would be no problem!

I have also noticed this and yes, I feel you are bang on the money there. Dumb drivers tend to go on the brakes along there just because the lanes are a bit narrow. That sort of driving is dangerous but the eejits doing it think they are being safe and 'slowing down' without any thought for the large volumes of traffic coming behind them.

Also I feel there is a constant 'rush' of traffic joining the link from the Douglas slip and this combined with people's greedy behaviour in not letting people join the lanes for the flyover contributes to the problem. And also don't forget the cars who want to turn left into the lanes for the Kinsale roundabout and they often speed up to pass out a few cars before they finally move into the left lanes.

Basically a typical example of pig-ignorant behaviour from drivers on our roads...and everyone is to blame, not just the boy racers, foreign nationals etc...another great thing us Irish are good at is putting the blame on others and never looking at ourselves.

and once again this morning the traffic on the South Link was very heavy (9:10pm). Two idiots managed to crash..two nice cars, one looked like it shunted the other (a very nice merc) and the rear end of the merc was lying on top of the bonnet of the other car. I'm not sure about injuries but there were 2 men standing outside the cars on their mobile phones.

The crash (I don't call them accidents) happened again, along the narrowing patch as you approach the Rochestown Park Hotel & Douglas.

Given the latest Government craze with increasing taxes to raise revenue I recommend the Government introducing a 'crash' tax, where the person responsible for the crash must pay a tax for causing crash (if the person was killed in the crash the tax will be waived as a token of sympathy). All the money will go towards funding an 'Information Screen Service' or ISS as I like to call it which will inform all other careful road users that an accident is ahead and thus allowing the drivers ample time to take a detour and not just end up sitting in traffic like a fool.

OK, the tongue was firmly placed in cheek there but you know what, there might be something in my wacky idea...it's so mad it just might work :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Do people understand the difference between what is called the South Ring road and the South Link road?

Aside from idiotic Irish drivers that is another thing that annoys me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I'll tell you what drives me mad.. I drive from Turners Cross to Mitchelstown every morning and take a left at the dump (past park and ride) in order to join up with the traffic from town and head toward the magic roundabout. Now.. What drives me mad, I mean MAD is where you take the left slip road and join up with the traffic coming off the magic roundabout and heading for the tunnel AND you have some f*cker in front of you joining traffic (traffic coming from Bishopstown) at speeds less that 60K ... JESUS you HAVE to be travelling at close to 100K joining the traffic off the slip road.. people constantly slow down rather than speed up ... and your stuck behind them, joining at 60K... which is soooo dangerous!

*RANT OVER*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

kcb wrote: »
    Do people understand the difference between what is called the South Ring road and the South Link road

No:o Want to explain?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

This thread isnt to bitch about idiot drivers or people that slow down when they arent meant to (really debatable that this even exists, if someone slows down deal with it.).

This thread has gone totally off topic, talking about accidents fair enough.
    Bitching that drivers who slow down cause traffic for you is off topic.
    Any more and ill start dealing out infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

castie wrote: »
    This thread has gone totally off topic, talking about accidents fair enough.
    Bitching that drivers who slow down cause traffic for you is off topic.
    Any more and ill start dealing out infractions.

I'm totally on topic, drivers slowing down when joining off a slip = bad accidents.

I said discussing people slowing down causing traffic for you is off topic.

Do people understand the difference between what is called the South Ring road and the South Link road?

Aside from idiotic Irish drivers that is another thing that annoys me!

go on, please clarify...not that it really matters but I'm curious now.

castie wrote: »
    I said discussing people slowing down causing traffic for you is off topic.

I don't think anyone (or me!) was talking about slowing down which causes traffic for 'me' per se, it's more like people who drive carelessly and end up causing accidents which as a result slows everyone down and makes everyone's day rather poopy.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

go on, please clarify...not that it really matters but I'm curious now.

The Link is the straight stretch that goes from Town to the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

The South Ring is the road that goes Dunkettle - Bloomfield - Kinsale Rd - Wilton - Bandon Road (and beyond?)

parsi wrote: »
    The Link is the straight stretch that goes from Town to the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

The South Ring is the road that goes Dunkettle - Bloomfield - Kinsale Rd - Wilton - Bandon Road (and beyond?)

aaaah, it makes sense I suppose! thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

They get this wrong on local radio all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

xabi wrote: »
    They get this wrong on local radio all the time.

They sure do. And it bugs me every time!

It's a simple one really.

There is an example on the Northside too!

I'll tell ya what also annoys me about Irish drivers.... cruising along in the overtaking lane while not overtaking. Whoever first called the overtaking lane 'the fast lane' should be shot. Now you have these idiots thinking if they go above 50mph they need to be in the 'fast lane'.

You only see it in Ireland though. You'd be blown off the road if you tried it in Germany or elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

They sure do. And it bugs me every time!

It's a simple one really.

There is an example on the Northside too!

I'll tell ya what also annoys me about Irish drivers.... cruising along in the overtaking lane while not overtaking. Whoever first called the overtaking lane 'the fast lane' should be shot. Now you have these idiots thinking if they go above 50mph they need to be in the 'fast lane'.

You only see it in Ireland though. You'd be blown off the road if you tried it in Germany or elsewhere.

Nah, its a common practise, usually by someone with a Dutch plate :P

I don't think anyone (or me!) was talking about slowing down which causes traffic for 'me' per se, it's more like people who drive carelessly and end up causing accidents which as a result slows everyone down and makes everyone's day rather poopy.

See a few of the first posts saying that whoever is causing the traffic should have their license removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Is it too late to edit them and make castie look crazy? :D

Is it too late to edit them and make castie look crazy? :D

well one of us is crazy cos I can't see the offending post at all!!

Its right there.

ah ok, thanks Castie, it's me who's going mad then!

...he does have a point though ;)

Advertisement