Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crunchtime!

Options
  • 09-10-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Need to get some advice! :rolleyes: :p
    I'm in my late 20's and have drifted thru various boring jobs and my only work experience would be office work (which I actually hate! :mad:) and I feel its time to get in gear and find a career.
    My problem is I'm unsure about going back to college, what if I choose the wrong course and dislike it? and then I've wasted yet another year till I can apply again!?
    How have other mature ppl coped with going back to college, moving, studying, picking their course etc?? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As you're in your late 20's, there should be something that you have an interest in. Have a look at what's available and go for it. It isn't easy but it will be worth it. Also, with the way the economy is just now, it's a good time to be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Write down things that interest you- helping people, science, working with numbers, researching things, sport, art & design, film, working with children etc. etc. and what your personality is like and you should start seeing what area you want to go into.

Then have a look at some of the universities/colleges prospectus and see if any course stands out of interest. Get as much information on the course and then think why you'd like to do it, would it suit your personality/ability.

Do some research on that area - talk to people, if you know any, in that industry, look up info on that career path on the net, in books etc.

Contact the college to get more information.

Go to college Open Days and speak to current students.

Contact the mature student advisors of the college.

Get work experience in the area of the course.

And good luck, it will most definitely be worth it. I'm 26 and starting out on the journey back to college and I'm loving getting the brain working again!!

Advertisement