Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wilton Test Centre

Options
  • 09-10-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anyone know where I can get the Cork test centre routes (wilton) on the net or elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

First of all I would not be overly concerned with trying to find the exact routes and it is better to have a general knowledge of the area and also take 1 or 2 lessons with an instructor who will be able to point out some of the potential 'hazards' e.g. faded yellow boxes, unusual road layouts etc.

There is a company selling Test Route Maps for €19.99 but these are not the official RSA test routes (these are not actually published) and are therefore just a sample route that you could end up on. Dont know if I'm allowed to put up the link to them so I didnt!

The main route areas are :

1. Out of the test center, turn left. Continue as far as the Wilton Roundabout and take 1st exit. Take 1st right after the hospital (Wilton Ave) and work around junctions in there. Eventually come out onto Curragheen Road, turn right, then left down Hawkes road back to the Bishopstown road. Right into Woodbrook and more junctions, reverse maneouve etc. Out of Woodbrook, back to Wilton Roundabout and back to test center.

2. Start same as 1 but go right at Wilton Roundabout, then right down into Summerstown, work through some junctions, reverse and eventually end up on the Clashduv Road. Probably route back to test center via togher road

3. Out of test center, turn right, then left at the Stop sign and down togher road, work junctions around there and in the Earlwood Estate etc. Options to either come back via Togher Road or down to Pouladuff road and back to test center via the Ring Road.

4. Same as 3 but this time head towards Pouladuff road, work up towards the church in Ballyphehane, head towards St. Patricks then down onto Evergreen road. Turn right towards Turners Cross, then right again and eventually right onto Pearse Road (by Musgrave Pk). Options to get back either Togher Road or via the Ring Road.

Any combination of the above :) Basically drive the area until you have a reasonable knowledge of it. What you are aiming for is that if, for example, you are told to turn left down a particular road, that you have an idea where you are and maybe that there is a set of lights/pedestrian crossing/school/ramps/stop sign ahead or whatever and that it doesnt come as a surprise. You dont need to know exactly which left you are going to be taking just know how to correctly turn left!

Best advice is to not try second guess the tester, let them direct you and you concentrate on your driving.

Rgds,
    Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

Thanks for all the info Declan, very much appreciated!

I know the maps you are talking about I think, out of them in easons last time I checked.

My biggest problem is my awful sense of direction and I am not at all familiar with that side of the city.

Fingers crossed for something away from the wilton roundabout:D

Advertisement