Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question about Wiring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I looked around maplin before but they never really had much decent quality wire.

I bought a reel of black and red each of this stuff before: http://ie.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=3208760 to build mosfets, it's very nice wire, (well, as wire goes, it's nice, lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Firstly I'd ask why you feel ther need to upgrade the wiring? What is it you are trying to achieve or are you replacing a damaged wire?

Depending on what you're trying to replace I doubt that this gauge of wire would be adequate, I'd be looking at a much larger gauge wire to be honest.

A thinner wire will have a higher resistance (albeit in the milliOhm region for the type of lengths in a typical AEG) and this will lead to a voltage drop and heating. I2R lossess.

A thicker wire will have less resistance and will have a lower voltage drop over its length.

I'd also consider a silicone insulated wire rather than a PVC insulated wire. Silicone has the advantage of superb heat resistance (which is handy if you're not experienced or competent at soldering). PVC has the unfortunate characteristic of cracking at low temperatures also.

A little more info would be good at getting the advice you seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

That looks better than the stuff maplin have kdouglas, i will probably go with that.
    I intend to increase the rate of fire on my AEGs and yes i had my doubts about the gauge of that wire. The only reason I considered it, is that it mentioned in an airsoft forum as adequate.
    I am very competent at soldering as that is part of the work I do:p, so I aint worried about accidently melting the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

That's exactly the wire I was thinking of and Kdouglas beat me to the part numbers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Tactical wrote: »
    Depending on what you're trying to replace I doubt that this gauge of wire would be adequate, I'd be looking at a much larger gauge wire to be honest.

Not for AEG's. 16AWG is the perfect gauge really if your gun can take it, you won't see much advantage if you go below that, but if your gun can take 14AWG, go ahead. Don't forget about Deans! ;)

• Advertisement

Beast ASI wrote: »
    Not for AEG's. 16AWG is the perfect gauge really if your gun can take it, you won't see much advantage if you go below that, but if your gun can take 14AWG, go ahead. Don't forget about Deans! ;)

The 16AWG I saw looks quite thin, much thinner than the stock wire. I will definately be purchasing Deans when I find somewhere that sells them. Those stock connectors are terrible and probably a bigger culprit of voltage drop than the wire itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

16 is perfect. thicker wire is more difficult to route through the gearbox and can ge a pain if you have a crane stock in particular.

That wire KD got, ive seen it and it looks perfect for the job.,

OK, 16 gauge it is so. Cheers for all the advice everyone :D.

Advertisement