Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Swap - 07 Passat to 05 C-Class Yes or no?

Options
  • 09-10-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I never hold on to my cars that long and getting itchy feet again - I have been offered a swap for my 07 Passat (1.6 FSI Comfortline with 32k kms) for a 05 Merc C Class C180 Classic (Leather, 56 kms but manual) with a small cash adjustment coming my way

What do fellow Boardsies think - is this a good swap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bf wrote: »
    I never hold on to my cars that long and getting itchy feet again - I have been offered a swap for my 07 Passat (1.6 FSI Comfortline with 32k kms) for a 05 Merc C Class C180 Classic (Leather, 56 kms but manual) with a small cash adjustment coming my way

What do fellow Boardsies think - is this a good swap?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I wouldn't buy a manual merc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Wouldn't do it either, not much space and base spec manual Merc, actually are you mad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

From a current model Vw, to a old model merc that actually is rubbish, small and unreliable..........

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stick with the VW, the lesser of 2 evils IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i will tell you as an merc driver... Stay on your passat m8. Mercs after 2000++ gone really bad in quality. And its C class m8... You would basicly pay for a merc name, but not for qualty and comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Agree with the crowd. You'd be giving away a lot of car to get an aged 3 pointed star, that wasnt too shiney to begin with anyway. Not a great deal for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Your gonna swap it anyway. Itchy feet cant be scratched here.

Dont do it. I made a mistake of going from a 2005 Focus to a 2004 Laguna because of great spec in the Laguna. Looking back now, there should have been a queue of people to tell me not to do it but I learned from my mistake now.

Nobody is going to be able to stop you. Merc is a good looking car but unless you are buying big in Merc like the ML AMG €154K then dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I really wouldn't bother, stick with what you have. Especially if it's an old model, manual C class Merc. If anything at all, at least buy an e200. Stay where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Phuk No !!

C-class is.......a trifle..........Korean looking ?? And it has no redeeming features, really.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If the C-class were an auto, I'd have gone with the swap. It isn't so I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

Thanks for the advice, confirmed my own suspicions that the manual was a big no no - will look elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

no from me too......i think the banking sector is about to collapse and the domino effect will happen. Keep what you have. Merc is plastic and gutless. Passat is a fine car irrespective of the reps chariot image.

Bearcat wrote: »
    no from me too......i think the banking sector is about to collapse and the domino effect will happen. Keep what you have. Merc is plastic and gutless. Passat is a fine car irrespective of the reps chariot image.

....indeed, there's irony for you...........some of the bank people have C180's as co cars.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

galway.....i must be tired but your post has gone totally over my head....

Bearcat wrote: »
    galway.....i must be tired but your post has gone totally over my head....

...what's ironic is that the post in question re: Merc C and reference to banks - this is the co car a lot of people working for some of the banks have as co cars. If the bank's collapse, further, will there be an even bigger glut of them out there.....?

Not a Molder & Scully job..........

Ode To The Motorist

When looking elsewhere avoid the c-class altogether. Wait till the new model C-Class is affordable. That's back to Merc standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I really wouldn't bother, stick with what you have. Especially if it's an old model, manual C class Merc. If anything at all, at least buy an e200. Stay where you are.

Overall I agree in 'NO' as I wouldn't buy a manual basic spec C-class Merc myself. But then I wouldn't buy a Passat either. Has absolutely nothing going for it, but that's just my opinion.

It's not that the Merc manual gear box is crap. If you prefer manual then there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that the Merc is a comfort car and that usually goes with automatic gear boxes and also Mercs have traditionally been an automatic car, as far as I can remember anyway.

Anyway, in that particular case I wouldn't say you'd gain a lot if anything. Just the thrill of having something different.

C-class hasn't the greatest reputation of all the Mercs out there but I'd still buy one. Nice high spec 220 CDI estate, something like that. I'd never buy a petrol Merc.

Also, me personally thinks anyone who refers to a 05 as an old car doesn't know what he's talking about or simply has too much money. Especially since 3 years on a Merc are not equal to 3 years on any other car. You can half that. A 5 or 6 years old Merc/BMW is as good as a 2 or 3 years old Japan/Opel/Ford/VW/younameit.

Regards

C

realcam wrote: »
    Especially since 3 years on a Merc are not equal to 3 years on any other car. You can half that. A 5 or 6 years old Merc/BMW is as good as a 2 or 3 years old Japan/Opel/Ford/VW/younameit.

Regards

C

What a load of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

not a chance would i change for a C180 merc...
    Sister in law has one and i'd prefer the old mans ford mondeo to it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Especially since 3 years on a Merc are not equal to 3 years on any other car. You can half that. A 5 or 6 years old Merc/BMW is as good as a 2 or 3 years old Japan/Opel/Ford/VW/younameit.

Regards

C

Are you 12?

..........3 years on a Merc are not equal to 3 years on any other car. You can half that. A 5 or 6 years old Merc/BMW is as good as a 2 or 3 years old Japan/Opel/Ford/VW/younameit.

Regards

C

..what complete and utter rubbish.

Both the statment, and to a lesser extent, the C180.....:rolleyes: The Good Ship 'Quality' departed Unterturkheim some time ago..........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I wouldn't go from a year old Passat to a new C Class. Crazy stuff.

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Are you 12?
    Biro wrote: »
    What a load of sh1t.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    ..what complete and utter rubbish.

[ ] You spend a lot of time coming up with a well considered reply.
    [ ] You know your cars
    [ ] I'm going to take you seriously.

Regards

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

realcam, you're just taking the pi**, right?

geoff29 wrote: »
    realcam, you're just taking the pi**, right?

I wouldn't necessarily swap that particular Passat for that particular Merc (especially not for THAT particular Merc), but generally speaking I'd take a 5 year old Merc over a 3 year old Volkswagen.

So in that way, no, I'm not taking the piss.

Obvioulsy people seem to disagree - strongly...:confused:

I know Merc isn't what it used to be but I'd still rate them a lot higher than your VW & Audis & Toyotas andsuch
    Drove E class for many years and drive an older 5 series now. Wouldnt swap for any of my colleagues Mondeos, A4s, Passats although they're newer...(unless I'd make money on it, obviously)

Regards

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It's true some of the older Germans have a solidity sorely missing from todays econoboxes. My old E34 felt tighter than a three year old Avensis I recently drove. Having said that this C class is not one of them.

I wouldn't necessarily swap that particular Passat for that particular Merc (especially not for THAT particular Merc), but generally speaking I'd take a 5 year old Merc over a 3 year old Volkswagen.

So in that way, no, I'm not taking the piss.

Obvioulsy people seem to disagree - strongly...:confused:

I know Merc isn't what it used to be but I'd still rate them a lot higher than your VW & Audis & Toyotas andsuch
    Drove E class for many years and drive an older 5 series now. Wouldnt swap for any of my colleagues Mondeos, A4s, Passats although they're newer...(unless I'd make money on it, obviously)

Regards

C
    It's not a case of agreeing or disagreeing, it's a case of being wrong and right. An abused C-Class with 140,000 miles is every bit as shabby as an abused Passat with 140,000 miles.
    From your original statement, a Merc will outlast any other car in the world. That statement is, as I stated quite clearly, a load of sh!t. Old Mercs were build superbly, by old I mean 70's, 80's, early 90's. Late 90's and up to even last year they're not. Toyota's might be boring, but they last a long time. Honda's go for years. Take a Honda Legend, compared with a Merc E class of the same year. The Honda will be in every bit as good a condition inside, (provided they got similar treatment), and probably much better mechanical condition.
    No one is saying that a 5 year old S Class is worse than a 1 year old Polo, that's just silly.

It's not a case of agreeing or disagreeing, it's a case of being wrong and right.

<sigh> If only all arguments were that simple. I'd win them all. :)
    From your original statement, a Merc will outlast any other car in the world. That statement is, as I stated quite clearly, a load of sh!t.

That's not exactly what I said, but in any case, you could have just said 'In my opinion your wrong on that one'.
    Take a Honda Legend, compared with a Merc E class of the same year. The Honda will be in every bit as good a condition inside, (provided they got similar treatment), and probably much better mechanical condition.

Of course I'm talking about comparable cars. And I don't know your Honda Legend, but I doubt very much what ur saying.

You take your average middle-class Ford, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Fiat and whatnot and they start to rattle and shake and whatnot after a 3 years. Things start to vibrate and 'go off' and she begins to feel wobbly and the overall impression is that of a plasticy car. Give it 3 more years and the thing looks like a dated piece of rubbish.

I drive a '99 E39 and she feels like a ****in tank compared to a 05 Passat or Mondeo or Avensis or Volvo or Saab or whatnot. There is no vibrations no funny noises no things coming off, she is still a tight solid driver, too.
    If someone offered me their 05 Passat for her I'd have to think long and hard.

Same goes for Mercs. I concede, not so much in recent years, but it's still there. You're not paying all those extra bucks just for the name and the little thing on the bonnet.

In any case, I don't really have an agenda here and I don't care whether others disagree either. So why don't we just leave it at that.

solong

C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I drive a '99 E39 and she feels like a ****in tank
    These cars cost a fair bit to keep running. They break down as often as a WW1 tank.

Advertisement