Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Belfast Hotel Recommendation Megathread*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

the merchant is the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

Hi, i'm looking to book a weekend break in belfast to sample the nightlife and do a bit of shopping and i was looking to book a hotel with a leisure center or swimming pool (from what i can see, there doesnt seem to be any).....could anyone help me!?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

The only city centre hotel in Belfast I know that has a pool is the Holiday Inn on Ormeau Avenue!!! If you're driving it doesn't provide free car parking...but I understand from a reviewer on Tripadvisor there is a multi-storey car park behind the hotel that charges £7.50 for 24hrs for hotel guests!!!
    Outside the city centre but still in Belfast...there is the Ramada Hotel on Shaws Bridge...about a 15 minute drive outside the centre!!!
    Then there is the Culloden Hotel which is maybe a 20 minutes drive outside the city centre...5 star hotel I think, so pretty expensive!!!
    Finally there is La Mon which is probably a 30 minute drive from the city centre...it is kinda out in the countryside...not good if you fancy sampling Belfast's nightlife!!!

Thanks for that, they seemed to be a little out of the city so i booked into Benedicts hotel instead (even though no leisure center), but it had reasonable enough rates.
    Is this hotel located centel beside nighlife and shopping?
    Hope i made the right choice!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Benedicts is about a 10 minute walk from the main shopping area...and more or less bang right in the centre of Belfast's nightlife!!!
    It is a bit away from the Cathedral Quarter which is gaining popularity for its social scene!!!...but plenty of bars/clubs up near you!!!
    Might be the odd issue with noise late at night...Shaftsbury Square (which is where Benedicts is) seems to be the place people congregate after their nights out...for food etc.!!!

• Advertisement

o ive no problem with that - going to sample the nightlife so cant complain about the noise!
    thats great thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

Looking to book a hotel in Belfast and have narrowed it down to the Hilton or Europa - which would ye recommend?

Thanks,
    Keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Hilton is not too central. Don't think the Europa is worth the money either.

If on the offchance you don't go for either of those, I heartily recommend the Premier Inn on Alfred Street. Stayed a few times there. Tis mighty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

europa used to be the most bombed hotel in belfast at one stage back in the 60's , 70's and 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The Europa is in the City Centre, the Hilton is a 3 minute walk to the city centre so location-wise, barely anything in it. Never stayed in either but both generally nice in and around the lobby. How are you travelling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

el tel wrote: »
    The Europa is in the City Centre, the Hilton is a 3 minute walk to the city centre so location-wise, barely anything in it. Never stayed in either but both generally nice in and around the lobby. How are you travelling?

Travelling by train from Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Y
    keith_d99 wrote: »
    el tel wrote: »

Travelling by train from Dublin

Hilton is only 5 min walk from Station. Europa is about 10. I'd go for the cheapest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Hilton is not too central. Don't think the Europa is worth the money either.

If on the offchance you don't go for either of those, I heartily recommend the Premier Inn on Alfred Street. Stayed a few times there. Tis mighty.

Premier Inn is well worth it - cheap and central! I have stayed in both Alfred Street one & Cathedral Quarter one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi,

I'm thinking of booking a weekend in the Fitzwilliam hotel for me and the Mrs to be taken in January 2013.

The prices now are fairly high but I want to make sure I get a decent hotel (can't mess this weekend away up)....Having said that I don't want to pay top dollar rate now and then find that they have great deals on closer to the time, because January is so quiet especially after the Xmas.

Any advice? Book now or hold out for a great deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

contact them and ask, I guess......

the more up market hotels generally get most of thier Trade from Business users, so you might find a weekend stay will be cheaper.......

as long as Take that (or similar) aren't playing Belfast that night......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Good point Martin about the potential for a concert and the rooms will go and then I'll be stuffed.

I'm going to ring the Fitzwilliam and a few others see if there's a deal to be made.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can anyone recommend a hotel around Belfast for 2A and 2C (both under 4)?
    Preferably with pool.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

La Mon is good if you can get a good price, but may be a bit further out than you would be looking for. I've stayed there a couple of times as has my sister and her family and no complaints from any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had looked at the La Mon, it does seem the best suited to a family break compared to the city center ones. The location isn't really a problem for me, as we will be driving anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My family tend to stay in the Ramada when they come up from Wicklow, have always liked it there and I think it has a pool

TBH I'm fairly clueless about Belfast hotels having lived there most of my life and hence never having had a need for one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Just wondering if anyone has been to Belfast want to bring my mother up I have never been so haven't a clue. Looking for a good central hotel as Mam wouldnt be able for loads of walking. How far would train station be from main areas (what are main areas??)
    What would shopping areas be? also looking for a good restaurant, cafes and a hotel, will just be for the weekend. Only have a w/end so it may be too much to cram in the sights its there any main ones that are beside the shopping areas we could have a look at without going too far out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DaithiOGormain

miss choc wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has been to Belfast want to bring my mother up I have never been so haven't a clue. Looking for a good central hotel as Mam wouldnt be able for loads of walking. How far would train station be from main areas (what are main areas??)
    What would shopping areas be? also looking for a good restaurant, cafes and a hotel, will just be for the weekend. Only have a w/end so it may be too much to cram in the sights its there any main ones that are beside the shopping areas we could have a look at without going too far out.

I have lived in the Belfast area for all of my life so might be able to give you some advice. If you are on a budget I'd recommend one of the two Premier Inns in the city centre. If you are willing to spend, I hear that Ten Square and the Fitzwilliam are very nice. Belfast Central station is about a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre, but you can get a free metro bus in if you show your train ticket. The main shopping area is really everywhere between the City Hall/Victoria Square and Castle Court/Waring Street, however Castle Street and High Street are mainly small family run businesses. Everything outside of this area really isn't good for shopping (unless you're looking to buy wallpaper or to have clothes altered or something) apart from the Lisburn Road area which has a few boutique type shops but not very good if you don't have a car as the Lisburn Road is very long and shops are spread out. You could also get a bus out to Forestside to do some shopping but it is really all generic shops. There are some really nice restaurants in the Queen's Quarter area like Tony Roma's, Lee Garden, Sun Kee (technically not Queen's Quarter), Villa Italia and Speranza. Mourne Seafood Bar and Deanes in city centre area and The Potted Hen near St Anne's are very good too. There are wee cafes everywhere but Cafe Renoir on Queen Street is very good. Caife Feirste was always very good, now called Cafe Cultúrlann I think, it is in Cultúrlann McAdam-Ó Fiach in Gaeltacht quarter (mid falls). Regards sightseeing I recommend the Botanic Gardens and Ulster Museum, and if you have time you could visit the International wall on Divis Street/Lower Falls. There are other places worth going to but most are rather hard to get to by public transport. You could take a black taxi tour but would be quite dear and use up a lot of time.

Thanks for that didnt know about the free metro if you show train ticket handy.
    Will probably get a central hotel somewhere handy and clean just to put the head down doesnt need to be fancy. Head up early on a Saturday look at the shops and go for a bite to eat and go back late on Sunday. Is the Queens quarter central? if not any nice restaurants cafes in the centre for say a nice breakfast/dinner. Was thinking of maybe a nice afternoon tea on Sunday too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DaithiOGormain

miss choc wrote: »
    Thanks for that didnt know about the free metro if you show train ticket handy.
    Will probably get a central hotel somewhere handy and clean just to put the head down doesnt need to be fancy. Head up early on a Saturday look at the shops and go for a bite to eat and go back late on Sunday. Is the Queens quarter central? if not any nice restaurants cafes in the centre for say a nice breakfast/dinner. Was thinking of maybe a nice afternoon tea on Sunday too

Queen's quarter is handy enough if you are staying in the south end of the city centre, but if you are staying in the Cathedral quarter area, Made in Belfast serves really good food as does La Boca. Don't have much experience of other restaurants in that area I'm afraid though. All four restaurants at St Anne's square are very good apparently, I've only been to the Potted Hen and it was nice but dear. And Cafe Renoir is good as mentioned before. I don't know about afternoon tea, you should check out hotel websites and see where the best deal is, most local cafes in Belfast only really serve Ulster fries, filled sodas, big ignorant iced buns, toasted sandwiches etc but I'm sure one or two of the more boutiquey ones serve afternoon tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

best central restaurant is Ginger. MAGNIFICENT reviews and not mad pricey.

best in Cathedral Quarter in Nick's warehouse. Simon form Ginger learned his Chops in Nicks......

That Ginger looks yummy not looking for anything too pretentious as will be with my mother. She is pretty good with all types of food luckilly except fish, there seems a lovely range on that menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Hi, can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced hotel near the Titanic Museum in Belfast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

skeptik wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced hotel near the Titanic Museum in Belfast?

Hi there skeptik,

I've moved your thread from Travel Reports & Reviews to the Belfast forum where it would be better suited as it is localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We went up there last month to the GoT exhibition and the Titanic one, we stayed at Premier Inn Belfast Titanic Quarter, it's got a car park (payable but cheap) and is literally a 5 min walk to the exhibition. Pretty cheap too if i remember correctly

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/BELTIT/belfast-titanic-quarter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

scudzilla wrote: »
    We went up there last month to the GoT exhibition and the Titanic one, we stayed at Premier Inn Belfast Titanic Quarter, it's got a car park (payable but cheap) and is literally a 5 min walk to the exhibition. Pretty cheap too if i remember correctly

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/BELTIT/belfast-titanic-quarter

That's great, thank you :)

Advertisement