Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austrailia and the credit crunch

Options
  • 09-10-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Just wondering how this is effecting Australia with regards work. I realise everywhere is affected in one way or another.

I'm looking to go over in March/April 2009 and am curious as to whether there will be a lot of jobs available, particularly architecture/construction. I understand this could be hard to answer in these unpredictable times but just wondering if there is a feel that the ecomony might go belly-up as it is all over the world?? Or is it self-sustainable to a certain extent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well the dollar is through the floor and unemployment rose to above 4.5% today so.......it's impossible to know.

Work wise there is a ridiculous amount of jobs out here in the west. However when you say architecture/construction do you mean on-site work or in an office drawing up plans etc? Will you be on a visa? If you are then you'd be looking at mainly on-site work.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well the dollar is through the floor and unemployment rose to above 4.5% today so.......it's impossible to know.

Work wise there is a ridiculous amount of jobs out here in the west. However when you say architecture/construction do you mean on-site work or in an office drawing up plans etc? Will you be on a visa? If you are then you'd be looking at mainly on-site work.

I would be looking for a job in an office drawing up plans. I would initially go on a working holiday visa but would be open to sponsorship if offered. Thanks for the info xavi. If you have any more, let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

good thread. I was hoping to ask the same question. If I go, I'd be heading around the same time, probably to WA....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'd be surprised if anyone has a definite answer for this. Tbh, nobody knows which way it will swing, whether it's a temporary blip or it will only get worse. i think most people will have to take a chance. I wouldn't imagine Aus/NZ will be any worse off than any other part of the world but I couldn't say if it will be better.

You can already see it starting in work (not redunancies or anything - we're far from that) but sales (the company sells life insurance) have started slipping as people are not as willing to part with money. That may get better when things settle down or it may get worse. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

At the minute there is still a good few jobs about. My office has been taking on staff in the last month or two. In Victoria (and maybe in other states also, not sure) the government has recently been investing heavily in health services, and education, so there are a lot of government funded projects starting to happen. My office just sponsored my for 2 years.:)

But as Watna says, kinda of hard to know which way its going to go, March 09 is a long time away. There will be an bit of a risk attached to any desicion to come over. But it does seem to be better than home!

• Advertisement

But it does seem to be better than home!

Apparently so!

Myself and the missus are considering our long term plans and were looking at maybe moving back home in 2010. Mentioned it to the 'rents, as did she. Their response? "Ah you're better off where you are." Miss you too ma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Jeez you're very organised! I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, nevermind 2010! (that's a lie I'm going wine tasting tomorrow!)

Ah no I reckon I'll be here for a while too. No point in going home when there's no jobs. My ma will flip out too when I tell her I'll be gone for more than a year!

Jeez you're very organised! I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, nevermind 2010! (that's a lie I'm going wine tasting tomorrow!)

It's more her than me tbh. I live day to day pretty much.

We wanna do a bit of a trip on the way home taking a couple of months to drive from Perth to the east then do New Zealand and Thailand before headin back so that'll take some planning.
    Ah no I reckon I'll be here for a while too. No point in going home when there's no jobs. My ma will flip out too when I tell her I'll be gone for more than a year!

Yeah I got the whole "Oh ok, if that's what you want to do" thing when I said I was stickin around for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Yeah I understand its hard to tell what it could be like in March 09. I suppose I just wanted a current indicator of the market over there. Anyway, ill keep putting the pennies away and aim towards it. Roll on March

If you want you can keep an eye on the stock exchange. Even checking it every few weeks will give you an idea of market trends etc and whether things are getting better or worse.

www.asx.com.au

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

In my opinion, and I'm thinking more about NZ here, is that it's a bit more self-sustainable. I jut get the impression that although, of course, it is linked to the world markets etc it won't affect it as much as it will in Ireland. That may be optimism but it's just the impression I get from businesses and the "buy kiwi" mentality that is so prevalent here.

Advertisement