Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Instigator v Retaliator

• 09-10-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

If you are walking down the street going about your business and someone hits you out of the blue and then you hit them back you would in a court of law be entitled to plead self defence.
    in court you would get off and the instigator would be punished.

However on the pitch you are going about your business on the pitch and you get clobbered and retaliate then you can end up being punished more then the instigator.

I believe that the instigator should be punished harsher than the retaliator.

any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Shelflife wrote: »
    If you are walking down the street going about your business and someone hits you out of the blue and then you hit them back you would in a court of law be entitled to plead self defence.
    in court you would get off and the instigator would be punished.

However on the pitch you are going about your business on the pitch and you get clobbered and retaliate then you can end up being punished more then the instigator.

I believe that the instigator should be punished harsher than the retaliator.

any thoughts on this?

Did you know a similar incident happened in the Connacht V Leinster game? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Kinda wanted to keep it general rather than specifics , but i may know of the incident to which you refer.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

On a serious note, i think its different because the Ref is always "supposed" to be there to protect you, so you shouldn't have to relatiate (obviously this isent always the case, and you have to relatiate to protect yourself).

While on the street the Gardai will not always be there, so you have no choice but to protect yourself or your a dead man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

This is a bit like some of the threads here - Poster A sets out to be controversial like calling Best a scumbag, Poster B takes exception and maybe name calls Poster A and hey presto Poster B gets a rap over the knuckles or banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

The reason JAMES HASKELL got a rap on the knuckles and BEST got an over the top ban is, Haskell is English and most of the England internationals never seem to get the appropriate punnishment for their crimes when up in front of a discipline board-whereas any international from outside of England seems to be, well you could say "high tackled" by the board...dont take my word for it, if you look at any of the bans this year it rings true....also, if you type "James Haskell" into Youtube, you will see some of the tackle he has got away with and to be honest it is a disgrace...:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement