Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers Day

• 09-10-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

was just thinking there...

anybody go to the careers day??

the IBM guy told me and my buddy to get lost. we came up to him and said, "hey we do IT," and he replies, "we don't need ye. goodluck lads," and returns to the txt message he was reading...

jeeezzzz... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Yup i went but only to talk to the voluntary organisations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

akamossy wrote: »
    Yup i went but only to talk to the voluntary organisations

you were probably right too the way that IBM guy was!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

well if he wasn't interested in it students, i doubt he'd want to know a social care student :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i find this stuff a waste of time

they come to colleges with huge demands like wanting people with years of experience and that sort of thing.

IBM these days is moving away from actual hardware and focusing more on advising businesses on which consulting service to buy. basically they are just a huge company that doesn't do much anymore providing unspecified 'solutions' and 'products' (which are actually services) to other huge companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

when was this on. i saw posters and stuff up around the place, but didn't know a date and time. Ohwell, sounds like i didn't miss much anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It was on wednesday from 11 - 3/4 I think. Can't remember exactly. Student Centre, hard to miss if ya around there.

I didn't talk to many except Intel, but looks like after placement I might be going back there anyways. Heard the IBM guys said you must do this exam before they even consider your CV and that you had to do it at a certain time or no go. Doesn't sound fair tbh.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    It was on wednesday from 11 - 3/4 I think. Can't remember exactly. Student Centre, hard to miss if ya around there.

I didn't talk to many except Intel, but looks like after placement I might be going back there anyways. Heard the IBM guys said you must do this exam before they even consider your CV and that you had to do it at a certain time or no go. Doesn't sound fair tbh.

their loss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Those big companies like Intel are a waste of time

Fancy desk and posters of happy people working

They are looking for about 2 new people to hire

Exam

Strange logic test

Personality test

CV

Interview 1

Interview 2

"Why do you want to work with us?"

Interview 3

Weeks of silence

"Sorry but our application-processing machine broke down the other day and therefore we will be unable to process your application thank you **** off and have a good life..working for someone else"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Webmonkey wrote: »
    yeah i just pure forgot about it really
    I didn't talk to many except Intel, but looks like after placement I might be going back there anyways.

did everyone in your class get a placement? Is there so project u have to do while on placement? I'm hoping after placement that i'll stay on with that company

suppafly wrote: »

did everyone in your class get a placement? Is there so project u have to do while on placement? I'm hoping after placement that i'll stay on with that company

and you'll be stuck there for life man!! finish your degree. Cert is worth bupkiss!! everyone will get a placement bar the morons. there were two people in my class didn't get one, but you should meet them, you just couldn't hire them!!

you have to do a presentation and a report, but it's simple out. a day or two of preparation is more than enough.

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote: »

I done about 3 projects there, but I love programming so enjoyed it. To be honest, you can sit back and do nothing but they prob won't take you on again then. Make some bit of an impression and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Going off topic here for 2 secs. In 2nd year, we were told CIT would organise our work placements and in the end most people found their own. I went on the only interview CIT organised for Stryker in Carrigtwohill and was told, "we're actually looking for someone with server experience". When my lecturer told me, I asked him why this wasn't on our curriculum. He said it was covered in first year. I told him it wasn't and he said, "oh well, i'll note that so we can do it in future"...

I was also told there'd be no way I'd get work placement in Dublin as companies in Dublin will only take people in 3rd/4th year and will only look after the colleges in Dublin. I went off and applied for an internship on the Careers and Counselling website which happened to be based in Dublin. Came up for the interview and got the job. Graduated with a Cert last year and I'm still with the investment bank over 18 months later.

So, I don't agree that a Cert is worth absolutely nothing. I only have a Cert and I'm going somewhere. However, a degree will open more options for you in the future. I think it just depends how lucky you are with the company you go on placement with and whether it's a step in the door or not. I plan on going back to get a degree myself but right now, I'm happy with what I'm doing for the forseeable future with only a Cert behind me.

I remember Careers Day wasn't great when I was in CIT. It seemed like the companies were there for show, and weren't very informative whenever I showed interest. I think CIT should bring in ex-Students who went on different Graduate progams/working after they got their qualifications and have them talk about their experiences working in the industry after college. That would've been more beneficial to me to hear rather than talking to someone who a) is literally a salesperson for the company telling me what benefits a person has when they join the company and how general greatness it is to work for them or b) isn't informed of the different positions a company might have to suit the Student they're talking to.

evil-monkey, what a f*cking idiot...

why am i an idiot, because i think a degree is more valuable than a cert?? firstly, there's the difference in pay scale, and secondly, and you said it yourself, a degree opens up a lot more avenues to you.

sure some people get lucky, but there is a HUGE difference between going into a job interview and saying, "i have a cert" and "i have a Bachelor of Science" - especially when the difference in time is a year or two!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mewmoo

The careers day before Xmas is usual crap. All any company can say to you at that stage is here's an email or website, send on an email with you're CV... here have a pen.

Got a 1Gb usb key off IBM though... that was cool.

mewmoo wrote: »
    Got a 1Gb usb key off IBM though... that was cool.

really?? sweeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mewmoo

I chaw yeah, dead sound, they had no interest in hiring me though... but I just smiled and nodded safe in the knowledge I'd be 1GB richer by the end of it. Working for'em sounds like it might be cool but there isn't really any scope for Electronic Engineers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

evil-monkey, i apologise, i wasn't calling you an idiot, i was calling the guy from IBM an idiot.

Sorry for not clarifying.

Aspiration wrote: »
    evil-monkey, i apologise, i wasn't calling you an idiot, i was calling the guy from IBM an idiot.

Ahhhh that makes sense now. :)

Aspiration wrote: »

ah right. that's cool man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just in case any of ye missed it, there's another one on in UCC on the 22nd and 23rd, I went along to it last year found there was alot more stands that there was in CIT and the people standing at them actually knew there stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Just in case any of ye missed it, there's another one on in UCC on the 22nd and 23rd, I went along to it last year found there was alot more stands that there was in CIT and the people standing at them actually knew there stuff as well.

lol. might pop along to that one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

and you'll be stuck there for life man!! finish your degree. Cert is worth bupkiss!! everyone will get a placement bar the morons. there were two people in my class didn't get one, but you should meet them, you just couldn't hire them!!

you have to do a presentation and a report, but it's simple out. a day or two of preparation is more than enough.

Evil-monkey, was it last year you did placement, just wondering cause it might be tougher this year. Also did you hear of anyone refusing an offer, I mean usually in real life an interview is two way, they decide they want you, you decide you want them....but I've my doubts the way some placement programmes are run that you're not pushed into accepting!

Advertisement