Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Take it easy

• 09-10-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to just add a few tips that have worked well for me over the last two years or so various forums on boards have been very helpful and this is a summary of bits I've learnt that have worked very well. nothing ground breaking but has made a huge difference to me.

The most important thing for me and I think a lot of people is taking on far too much too early it's a bit like learning to juggle you start with one or two balls and gradually add a ball if you start with too many they all get dropped. It's great to have some goals but try and split them up into mini one's that can be achived every month or so building up to a long term goal.

It's not a race, there's no need to rush it you don't _need_ to be losing a stone a week or gaining x amount of muscle mass you have your whole life take it nice and slowly try and get well used to one change before adding anymore. Taking it slowly will make it enjoyable and if you start to enjoy the changes there is a much bigger chance of you sticking to the plan.

For example for the first month look at your current diet try and work out the worst possible thing you eat/drink and remove it for a month. The next month add something else to list maybe add a 15 min walk every day. the following month remove something else up the 15mins to 25-30, if you get the bus get off a stop or two early and walk if there's lifts in the job try using the stair's etc all the small things add up when they're done every day.

As important as it is to take it slowly it's equally very important to have regular increases in the amount of exercise but if you make the increases every 3-4 weeks they shouldn't have a negative impact on you that you get overwhelmed and give up.

Try where possible to avoid concentrating on weight loss, the over goal shouldn't be just to lose weight it's for your overall health both physically and mentally as you will have a lot more energy, look better and feel better about yourself but avoid concentrating on the scales a scales can't measure your well being/confidence/self asteem etc

Try and have a bit of fun, if you love tennis and haven't picked up a racket in a few years go down to your local club and get back into it. You can join hillwalking clubs and go for a nice stroll in the wicklow mountains burning off a lot calories having a chin wag and taking in some views. sign up and do a small fun run say 5k which will give you a goal and is something you can build up to over time, tell people about it do it for charity which will give you good motivation to not slack off

Consitency is another big one, sometimes the hardest part is just getting out the front door so if you're not feeling like going for your walk or heading to the gym or soccer training don't set the activity as the goal just set the goal to get your coat on and open the door once your out the door it's a walk in the park but you will really see the changes if you stay consistent.

Rewarding yourself, If you're doing well and you have been honest to yourself and kept going give yourself a reward if I didn't eat a take away for a month or some other crap I was trying to cut out I would buy myself a shirt or pair of jeans or whatever I built a wish list and treated myself to something on it everytime i completed a new goal.

Not been to hard on yourself, no one is perfect everyone has an off day, maybe a friends dinner party not been able to say no to a desert or whatever the case maybe. don't be too hard on yourself the most important part is that you get back on track the next day don't dwell or you will start to feel guilty and probably end up eating more to feel better and remember when your exercising and eating well you can afford to have a treat.

If you're someone who loves to start things and never finishes them, find yourself making all the promises in the world and then get frustrated at yourself for not keeping them then it's very very important to start slowly.
    Good diet/health/fitness is a life long journey, take it easy...
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement