Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Prepay data launched (like Meteor/ Vodafone I think)

• 09-10-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Speakeasy+prepay/Data+Pricing/
    If you are a prepay customer, you can browse the internet on your phone for 99c per day. You can dip into your email whenever you like. Check some football results. Buy tickets for The O2. Update your facebook or bebo status every 10 minutes. And still pay no more that 99c per day up to 50MB.

It is not a subscription service. So you don't have to pay 99c every day, only the days you use it. There is a max you can use, but it is 50MB, which is pretty big. If you go over the 50MB usage allowance, you pay 0.5c for each additional KB used.
    Other useful information

What can I do for 50Mb?
    To put 50Mb in context, one full music track from O2's mobile music store is approx 1.3Mb, so in order to exceed the daily cap of 50Mb you'd have to download over 38 full music tracks each day! The average size of a webpage on your mobile is 25kb so you'd have to browse over 2000 pages on the mobile each day to exceed your daily cap.

Will I always pay 99c?
    You pay 1c per Kb for the data you use up to 99c, so if you only use 50Kb of data you will still only be charged 50c, however once you hit 99c all your data is free up to 50Mb

Is this a daily subscription cost that will always come out of my account no matter how much I use?
    No, you only pay for the days you use.

Do I have to do anything to get this new pricing?
    Nothing at all, this is O2's new standard pricing for Prepay customers.

If I pay per day's use, how is a day defined?
    The daily rate applies from midnight (00.00) each day until 23.59 and 59 seconds that day. The "day" is based on Irish time.

What about downloading content like ringtones and games from the Internet on your mobile
    The charge to download the piece of content will also come out of your daily allowance of data - this is called the bearer charge. Remember, you will still pay the fixed charge for the piece of content that you buy, e.g from €1.50 for a full music track or a game which generally costs from €2 - €5.

What about simply connecting to the homepage?
    The O2 Mobile Internet homepage is free to browse.Data charges apply if you connect to any page other than the O2 homepage. You should also remember that to use O2 Mobile Internet (data) you need to retain a minimum balance of 1c call credit.

Can I carry some of my allowance over to the next day?
    No, it's a daily usage policy so if you have some unused data in one day you cannot carry that through to the next day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

This is good news, its still a heavy rate if you want to use it everyday, but its better that the ridiculous 1c a kb charge, It`s cost me 15 euro to do little more than download google earth and download a java game to my phone. Three are still the way to go if you want a decent data package, prepay or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah nuts, so much for innovation in the marketplace. Was hoping for something commuter friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

long_b wrote: »
    Ah nuts, so much for innovation in the marketplace. Was hoping for something commuter friendly.
    Cheaper than Meteor / Vodafone though! Shame about their call costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

A step in the right direction anyway. Good spot OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Using it right now with Broadband modem and its working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thats it now.. thats the pricing structure that the big three* have adapted. No chance of change now :(

No drunkmonkey, this is not your cue to start talking. ;)

Only difference with O2 is they charge less for overage

Any usage over 50MB is charged at 0.5c per KB (€5.12 per MB). Meteor and Vodafone are charging 2c per KB outside the 50MB (€20.48).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Thats it now.. thats the pricing structure that the big three* have adapted. No chance of change now :(

No drunkmonkey, this is not your cue to start talking. ;)

Thanks for the lead in there JMC;)

First off it's a Rip....

All the below is free on 3, No charge for reading the news, previewing a song or downloading, No Data charges for Mobile Poker TV and loads of other content such as Sky Sports etc are all data charge free.

What about downloading content like ringtones and games from the Internet on your mobile
    The charge to download the piece of content will also come out of your daily allowance of data - this is called the bearer charge. Remember, you will still pay the fixed charge for the piece of content that you buy, e.g from €1.50 for a full music track or a game which generally costs from €2 - €5.

The O2 Mobile Internet homepage is free to browse.Data charges apply if you connect to any page other than the O2 homepage. You should also remember that to use O2 Mobile Internet (data) you need to retain a minimum balance of 1c call credit.

Your better off with <snip>:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

This is crazy money! Why dont they have the Uk model of 9.99 for 200Mb a month, i am sure that would suit people a lot better. But no once again the Irish customer bends over and takes what is given to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

They don't call it rip-off Ireland for nothing! I also like the way Meteor, no matter what APN you now use, charge you 2c per KB once you go over the 50MB allowance. That means no Data APN usage to try get cheaper access over your 50MB.

Postpay is the only way to go it seems on any network and will be like that for some time too.

• Advertisement

This is crazy money! Why dont they have the Uk model of 9.99 for 200Mb a month, i am sure that would suit people a lot better. But no once again the Irish customer bends over and takes what is given to them.

To be fair three have 1 gig for 10 euro a month, which is pretty good deal, and this new system is far better than the old system that was 1c kb (or 10,000 euro a gigabyte). You are unlikely to use up 50 megs unless your tethered to a pc, or just downloading big files.

Its still not ideal though, i think 1c a megabyte would be a fair rate, along with the ability to get a package like threes if you had a need for serious internet. Contracts should throw in a few 100 megs for free.

The real problem is that networks dont want to become ISPs, they want to try the old AOL model of peddling you their ****e and blocking off anything thats free and competes with it, I`m guessing thats why I cant get at youtube mobile from my o2 phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

seclachi wrote: »
    . You are unlikely to use up 50 megs unless your tethered to a pc, or just downloading big files.

True and I agree, my problem is that if you use any amount of data in any given day you may aswell spend up to the 99c, and they know this.

For people with phones with push or whatever this will end up costing a lot.

Like if I check my email and the odd web site on my iphone each day it will end up costing me 30 euro a month!

True and I agree, my problem is that if you use any amount of data in any given day you may aswell spend up to the 99c, and they know this.

Like if I check my email and the odd web site on my iphone each day it will end up costing me 30 euro a month!

Yea, it sucks in that respect, the 50 meg should be over a few days at least, or they should cap it at 50c, but that just isnt gonna happen until ofcom decide to kneecap them. And at least now your credit wont disappear if there is some sneaky push service on your phone beaming usage back to steve jobs or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

First off it's a Rip....

All the below is free on 3, No charge for reading the news, previewing a song or downloading, No Data charges for Mobile Poker TV and loads of other content such as Sky Sports etc are all data charge free.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    They don't call it rip-off Ireland for nothing! I also like the way Meteor, no matter what APN you now use, charge you 2c per KB once you go over the 50MB allowance. That means no Data APN usage to try get cheaper access over your 50MB.

Postpay is the only way to go it seems on any network and will be like that for some time too.

It's very expensive but getting better. 3 offer better value to avoid going onto billpay but I know a lot of people won't go with 3 for various reasons seen in other threads.

In this case I'm all for what O2 have done. It works out better for the majority like this than it was beforehand. Granted, it could be better and should be but this is better than it was imo.
    Yea, it sucks in that respect, the 50 meg should be over a few days at least, or they should cap it at 50c, but that just isnt gonna happen until ofcom decide to kneecap them. And at least now your credit wont disappear if there is some sneaky push service on your phone beaming usage back to steve jobs or whatever.

At least they've matched the offers of the other networks - but a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

No Data charges for Mobile Poker TV

What's this? Because there is a mobile poker application that was free to download but I still get charged for data to play it (despite it saying I wouldn't). But I don't know what you mean by TV. Unless there's a new channel or something

I`m guessing thats why I cant get at youtube mobile from my o2 phone.

Works fine for me?

whisht wrote: »
    Works fine for me?

Might just be my phone then :D. I read somewhere about o2 uk blocking youtube because it was an iphone feature, and I thought the same thing applied here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

First off it's a Rip....

The charge to download the piece of content will also come out of your daily allowance of data - this is called the bearer charge. Remember, you will still pay the fixed charge for the piece of content that you buy, e.g from 1.50 for a full music track or a game which generally costs from 2 - 5.

i thought i explained to you a few months ago about the difference between the 3 portal and the internet. To summarise, portal =/=internet. Data charges are irrelevant when talking about the company's internal portal. It's like saying they don't charge you a data charge for voice calls

Advertisement