Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Complan in bulk?

• 09-10-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems to be the best fit I can find.

I'm trying to find out where I can buy Complan in bulk. I'm looking for the strawberry flavour.

Its possible to buy it in boxes in my local chemist, but they only ever tend to have one or two boxes or, like today are sold out so have to order some in. The boxes they sell contain four sachets each, so when used intensively they run out quickly. Boxes that contain 20-30 sachets would be great. I'm assuming that the likes of nursing homes or hospitals would be buying in quantities that size rather than smaller boxes.

Of course I could ask my chemist to order me in some regularily, but I'd prefer not to be obliged to one person for this. Also, I'd be a little embarrassed carrying out 20 boxes of Complan:o. I know I shouldn't be, but I just know I would be.

Anyways, if someone can point me in teh right direction that would be great, otherwise I'll just have to suck it up and get my chemist to order large quantities in for me:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco sell it, there were about 10 boxes on the shelf in mine today, it is under €5 per box for 450g, probably cheaper than your chemist. It was in the medicine section, near headache tablets.

It is overpriced IMO, it is skimmed milk powder, sugar and vitamins. If you want bulk you could go to proper supplement shops and make up your own blend of stuff cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco sell it, there were about 10 boxes on the shelf in mine today, it is under €5 per box for 450g, probably cheaper than your chemist. It was in the medicine section, near headache tablets.

It is overpriced IMO, it is skimmed milk powder, sugar and vitamins. If you want bulk you could go to proper supplement shops and make up your own blend of stuff cheaply.

Thanks rubadub. I'll check out Tesco.

I'm not looking for Complan for bulking up. I'm looking for it as a food replacement. At time I am unable to eat properly due to health problems, so need someway of getting calories/vitamins/minerals etc. Complan seems to work for me.

rosboy wrote: »
    I'm not looking for Complan for bulking up. I'm looking for it as a food replacement. At time I am unable to eat properly due to health problems, so need someway of getting calories/vitamins/minerals etc. Complan seems to work for me.
    Sorry, when I said "bulk", I really meant if you want to buy in bulk it is cheaper to go to supplement shops. Once you start messing with sachets you are paying over the odds for packaging and the brand name.

I am sick at the moment and couldnt eat anything all today, I was going to go for lucozade automatically, but was wondering why (just what I always used to be given when sick). But I have not been this sick for a good 5 years, and since then have learned a lot. Lucozade is just glucose syrup so gives you energy, in the form of sugar. Instead I got whole milk & sugary strawberry milkshake mix. I love the stuff and was able to drink it easier than water. Also I had protein powder to mix in, filled me up really well.

I just checked the complan site, I think tesco only had one type and I think it was vanilla judging by the packet. Other supermarkets might have it though, chemists are usually a rip off for stuff like that.

This is the strawberry one.
    Ingredients
    Strawberry Complan diet supplement

Skimmed milk, lactose, vegetable oil, maltodextrin, sugar, glucose syrup, beetroot powder, flavourings, magnesium sulphate, thickener (xanthan gum) vitamin C, iron sulphate, niacin, vitamin E, zinc sulphate, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, manganese sulphate, riboflavin, thiamin, copper sulphate, vitamin A, folic acid, biotin, vitamin K, potassium iodate, sodium selenite, sodium molybdate, chromium chloride, vitamin D, vitamin B12.

the site http://www.complanfoods.com/strawberry.php is pretty good, also give full breakdown. 61.1% carbs (of which 46.2% sugar), 15.4%protein, 14.1% fat.

A lot of sugar in there, the ingredients I put in bold above are all just different words for sugar, really sugar makes up the bulk of it, though skimmed milk might appear to. There is nothing special in the ingredients list. I would sooner be drinking fresh whole milk with protein powder and a multivitamin! Probably work out cheaper too. You can get unflavoured whey protein powder cheaply and blend in fresh fruit.

For some reason, when you said "bulk" a different context shot into my mind:o. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice. I already taking Floridax for minerals/vitamins/iron, so am not too worries about that. The most thing I'm trying to get from the Complan (or similar product) is protein & carbs. I had gone for Complan because it was readily available, and easy to use. I might try and get some protein powder and check that out. Can you recommend any particular type? Where can I get it? Sports shops?

Thanks again for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hi<

sorry to hear that you are not feeling well> i used to get it in superquinn but i would advise that you ring them first to confirm> i found ensure strawberry to be far better though it is expensive> get better soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks Cathy. I actually live across the road from a Superquinn. I've looked, but never seen it there. I'll ask next time I'm over.

rosboy wrote: »
    I might try and get some protein powder and check that out. Can you recommend any particular type? Where can I get it? Sports shops?
    I got my unflavoured whey from www.bulkpowders.co.uk this is 80% protein, I use it with oats, in pancakes and in shakes etc. It is the cheapest if you are buying in proper bulk, the post is high for small amounts but stays the same up to high weights.

But there are irish sites selling too, some with free postage, so if you want to get a smaller tub to begin with that is the way to go. Main shops would be

www.irish-lifting.com
    www.pronutrition.ie
    www.thesupplementfactory.com

there are plenty of threads discussing flavours & types in the fitness section.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=252

Advertisement