Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned car in private estate

Options
  • 06-11-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I have had a car parked outside my house (in a private estate - not taken in charge by the council) for the last 5 weeks or so.

I have looked at various threads on this topic and my neighbour has spoken to the council and the Gardai - conclusion seems to be that as long as someone owns the vehicle, they can park it in front of anybody's house until it rots, as long as they are not causing an obstruction (assuming nobody does anything illegal like removing the plates).

Even the fact that the insurance disc is for a different car means that the Gardai can slap a ticket on it - nothing more.

What I was thinking is that, as we only have a residents committee (not a management company), we could have a residents meeting, vote to introduce a parking regulation that only residents and guests may park in the estate. Then we could place a notice on the car that it was parked in contravention of the regulation and that they should produce some evidence of residency (or invitation) within 30 days or it would be removed.

My questions:

1. Would this hold up? It would remove the "implied permission" that exists allowing people to just drive into a private, non-gated estate, so I can't see why not.
    2. If the above is valid, and the car was still there after the time was exceeded, could we report it as trespass and have the Gardai remove it, or would we have to pay for removal ourselves?

I am just sick that councils are supposed to be taking estates in charge, but refuse to do so, thereby leaving residents in difficult situations like this.

Thanks for your opinions!
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement