Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogs in Finance Crisis

• 09-10-2008 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Drogheda United are to go part time next season :( They cannot afford the player wages.

I hope some teams snap up their better players including Robinson, Zayed, Cahill and Gartland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

No one has any money to snap up anything. Well not money they actually have with maybe the exception of Pats, unless Kelleher ****s off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is this official? I know there was talk of it, but here since that some white knight was stepping in to save the day?

At the rate things are going, only BOHs and SPA will be 100% full time next season.

EDIT:Breakingnews.ie

Wages not paid this week apparently? Surely a points deduction to follow? Hurrah, we can still finish 3rd :p

Default Default

Actually, now that I think of it, other clubs have defaulted on wages this season and not been deducted points, so maybe Drogs are safe enough in that regard.

But of far more concern for them is how in hell will they get a premier license for next season? They only got one for their current ground on the basis of plans of their new stadium. Would a ground share with Dundalk be necessary?

Are they safe from Examinership, or will by not paying the players now save them from that?

Rough times ahead. Its crap. I know how it feels to have your clubs future very much in doubt. FFS, ours is far from certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmmm.

I wonder would clubs who can't get a Premier Licence be placed in the First, and therefore clubs in the First who qualify for a Premier Licence be placed in the Premier, like two years ago.

Na Ne-na Ne-na Ne-na Ne-ne Na-na-na, Shels are going up, going up, Shels are going u-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

This is a worrying trend. The champions are going to go part time next season. Not good news at all. You beat me to this Gareth as I was going to set a thread up for this. When you consider the other League of Ireland clubs in real financial trouble (Cork City and Sligo Rovers just to name a few), this is a huge blow to the association and the club themselves. Where is the money going to come from? As soon as I heard that Eircom were pulling out of sponsoring the LOI, but remaining with the national team there were going to be problems ahead. No European adventures and very little money coming in via sponsorship and support.

Economists would say little revenue coming in+high wages and little interest= a huge deficit and in this day and age that is unsustainable, and they would be bang on the money (no pun intended!). Rest of the league have to be taking notice of this. What about the First Division?, Provincial leagues etc. Doesn't bear well for the future of soccer here in this country.

• Advertisement

We could get promoted yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Des wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I wonder would clubs who can't get a Premier Licence be placed in the First, and therefore clubs in the First who qualify for a Premier Licence be placed in the Premier, like two years ago.

Na Ne-na Ne-na Ne-na Ne-ne Na-na-na, Shels are going up, going up, Shels are going u-up

Any means possible, eh Des? Especially seeing as the football route hasn't worked thus far:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Only 3 points behind:D

Stekelly wrote: »
    Any means possible, eh Des?
    yep.

bit like winning the CL on penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Is this sort of thing happening to clubs in Sweden, Croatia, Lithuania, Belarus etc. does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Is this sort of thing happening to clubs in Sweden, Croatia, Lithuania, Belarus etc. does anyone know?

Cant think of any of the top of my head but its certainly happening in England and Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

At this rate Bohs are next. Pats should just keep finishing 2nd and avoid the jinx. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Well look at the bottom of League 2 in England. Italian Serie B is also up the creek. Probably others I don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Report in today's Times:
    Hoey is said to have expressed the hope new investment can still be secured over the coming weeks, but the recent collapse of a second attempt to secure land and planning permission required to advance long-running relocation plans would appear to leave the club in serious difficulties for the present.

FAI chief executive John Delaney is believed to have played a very active role in attempts over the last few weeks to secure the new funding but the association is now left with a situation in which more than a third of the League of Ireland's clubs, including five from the top flight, have fallen behind with players wages, enforced dramatic pay cuts on squad members or simply declared that they can no longer meet their commitments.

Sources close to Drogheda United, where around €12 million is said to have been spent over the last four years, denied yesterday that the club will follow Cork City into examinership but said that some "breathing space" is required while plans are formalised to pursue a third site for the proposed-built stadium.
    Seems that if the stadium issue is resolved they might be in the clear (or is that stating the obvious?).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1010/1223560351839.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

yep.

bit like winning the CL on penalties.

ya the exact same:rolleyes:

this is bad for irish soccer, and i fear there will be more clubs following suit.

such a kick in the teeth when the game is progressing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

prendy wrote: »

such a kick in the teeth when the game is progressing as well.

Unfortunately, the game is 'progressing well' for clubs like Drogheda because they are overspending. How else can Irish sides compete in Europe when the gates are minuscule?

I think what has happened with CCFC and DUFC should go to show everyone that overspending is not the answer. The public at large still won't really care less unless progress is made to a group stage, and even then it would only be for European matches. But in order to get that far, money needs to be spend, so its a catch 22.

Reports that Drogs have spend €12 million on players and wages in the last 4 years is an amazing figure. Gate reciepts + sponsorship + club shop reciepts at best probably total half of that at a guess???

CCFC have reporteldy spend around €8 in the same period, and given our average attendence is far higher than Drogs, and our spending is less, yet we have still been reckless tells its own story.

gimmick wrote: »
    CCFC have reporteldy spend around €8 in the same period, and given our average attendence is far higher than Drogs, and our spending is less, yet we have still been reckless tells its own story.
    Eight euro?

Wow, times muxt be hard in the PRC.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think with so many clubs in financial crisis, it's clear that the league doesn't have the money nor fanbase to really support the costs.

It's a sad state of affair.

There is so much competition in Ireland for funds - football, rugby, GAA and then all the other sports and events. People are just not attending games. Sponsorship is down, and will go down even more now that there is a large credit crunch.

The league really needs to attract more fans. That is crucial to generate a constant stream of revenue. To do that, they need to attract families and younger fans. I've seen parents leave games or have talked to parents who won't bring their kids to games because of the bad language and chants from "supporters". I don't blame them.

I think the whole issue of the league is becoming more and more serious and something really needs to be done.

Paulw wrote: »
    I've seen parents leave games or have talked to parents who won't bring their kids to games because of the bad language and chants from "supporters". I don't blame them.

ffs.

Because every chant in the foreign leagues is clean and sanitary.

• Advertisement

ffs.

I can't speak about foreign leagues (and don't really care).

But, it is clear that parents won't bring their kids to places where such bad language is used. I don't blame them.

You don't hear anything like it in other sporting events in Ireland.

What?

Stop spouting shíte. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ffs.

oh my god what does the foreign leagues have to do with a parent trying to bring their kid to an Irish league game??
    you see to get the league attendances up this is exactkly what we need at games, family's. Dad's bringing a few kids on a friday evening. their is a distinct lack of this in LOI. The EL is not the Premier League so why should what goes on over there have any bearing on our league. we need something different.
    I agree that an awfull lot of the chants is riddled with language and many games can have an undercurrent of hostility. not all but some.

To do that, they need to attract families and younger fans. I've seen parents leave games or have talked to parents who won't bring their kids to games because of the bad language and chants from "supporters". I don't blame them.

Ah now, come off it. This comes up every now and then, and why do people seem to think its a purely LOI problem?

Did families leave Fratton park recently for the Sol Campbell song? Course not. I have never seen familes leave Turners Cross due to bad language. In fact, there is even a Family Enclosure in the Cross for people who might not want their kids hearing such.

Ever been to GAA games. Some of the abuse spouted at these games is unreal. And it is all personal as well. I am not just talking about Championship games either, right down to local leagues. That does not stop parents bringing kids to that.

To do that, they need to attract families and younger fans. I've seen parents leave games or have talked to parents who won't bring their kids to games because of the bad language and chants from "supporters". I don't blame them.

A family section isn't a bad idea. Shamrock Rovers will have an allocated family section in the Tallaght Stadium next year. However, don't project the worries of sedate adults on to kids. The parents are often more offended. When I was a kid, I loved all the roaring and shouting.

The kind of people who think bad language (just plain cursing at players and ref) at football is bad are the kind of post-premiership fans that will probably piss off to another trend when 'soccer' loses its appeal. It is an integral part of the live football experience.

I remember getting filthy looks at Landsdowne for abusing Ian Harte (only once) at an Ireland game from the people in front of me. It's safe to say from their conversation that I overheard during the game that they had very little knowledge or experience of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think with so many clubs in financial crisis, it's clear that the league doesn't have the money nor fanbase to really support the costs.

It's a sad state of affair.

There is so much competition in Ireland for funds - football, rugby, GAA and then all the other sports and events. People are just not attending games. Sponsorship is down, and will go down even more now that there is a large credit crunch.

The league really needs to attract more fans. That is crucial to generate a constant stream of revenue. To do that, they need to attract families and younger fans. I've seen parents leave games or have talked to parents who won't bring their kids to games because of the bad language and chants from "supporters". I don't blame them.

I think the whole issue of the league is becoming more and more serious and something really needs to be done.

That's why I don't bring my kids to LoI games. Much better bringing them to GAA matches were racist abuse and the kidnapping of refs is the order of the day. :pac:

stovelid wrote: »

The kind of people who think bad language (just plain cursing at players and ref) at football is bad are the kind of post-premiership fans that will probably piss off to another trend when 'soccer' loses its appeal.

You will see a stdium of that ilk at Thomond Park this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Hmmm.

Did I miss something? Have yous found somewhere to play yet?

stovelid wrote: »

The kind of people who think bad language (just plain cursing at players and ref) at football is bad are the kind of post-premiership fans that will probably piss off to another trend when 'soccer' loses its appeal. It is an integral part of the live football experience.

Why does bad language have to be an integral part of live football? Can people not enjoy live football without feeling the need to shout abusive language?

Just curious, and not making any judgements. Yes, I do regularly attend LOI football games.

When people look at football (worldwide) there are a lot of aspects that people dislike - players falling down for the slightest tip, players mouthing off at the ref, racial abuse, etc. It has not always been that way, so why does it have to be that way now? For the most part, racial abuse at LOI games is dealt with quickly, but yet there is plenty of other verbal abuse that is tolerated.

• Advertisement

I swear a hell of a lot and at a game I swear even more.

Why does bad language have to be an integral part of live football?

As for kids, when myself and my mates got to match-going age with an adult, we thought it was the business to hear the adults swearing. Even if your dad pretended he didn't do it until you were about 10 or 11. :D.

People can't have it both ways. It's like Sky and the watering-down of premiership crowd participation. The TV, the clubs and the F.A want passion; that's what they sell the game on. Everyone knows that your old school /ultra /younger /vocal fan is integral to football as a product as they generate far more of said passion than your corporate or family type. Yet if they get carried away, they also get vilified for spoiling the game and hassled by stewards. :D

Not talking about bad chants like racial ones or ones about people's families, just normal ref and player abuse.

Can people not enjoy live football without feeling the need to shout abusive language?

Of course, and many do, as you know.

Looks like they have entered examinership as well as of this afternoon.

What a ajoke of a season financially. I assume they will be docked a few points as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

would the championsleague money not have prevented this in the short term?

They will not receive that until after the final of this seasons competition.

asterix.jpg

It really has been a comic season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This season has been depressing and an embarressment for the league.

The FAI don't even seem to be acknowledging that theres a serious problem. If the top teams in the league are suffering as bad as the smaller clubs than theres obviously serious problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Drogheda only going to be one point ahead of Bray:pac:

Never know. Could get dragged into the relegation battle:p

Examinership the week after they can no longer win the league, and a points deduction means absolutely nothing.

These shams should be automatically demoted.

Drogs have been docked 10 points for their examinsership troubles

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2008/1103/1225523341637.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

CiaranC wrote: »

What the fúcking fúck is that all about?

Fúcking numpties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

If your not one of the big 4/5 fu*k you! is basically what the FAI are telling the rest!

Examinership the week after they can no longer win the league, and a points deduction means absolutely nothing.

These shams should be automatically demoted.

+1
    They should get more than a 10 point deduction for more than a few reasons

the one im most concerned with is that at a time when they knew they were skint they continued to sign players
    Faz from sligo being the biggest example, TAPPED him up big style, unsettled the player, signed him on the cheap and still couldnt afford to pay the remander of the transfer fee

I still thing they only signed him because Sligo Rovers were at the time in with a shot of the european spot, so they signed a guy who doesnt fit the way they play just to weaken the opp, hope rovers get it (:D) now

+If they (Sligo) qualify for the selotanta cup again this year they better not get excluded for a team lower in the league
    Rovers would never(?) have had their (relatively minor) troubles this year if they wernt excluded from that cash cow a couple of seasons ago

I think Bohs, Drogs and to a much smaller extent Cork tried doing the old Celtic/Rangers trick of signing/paying people just to stop other teams in the league having them

Nearly broke the scots who are two of the biggest teams in the world (financially) was never going to work here

Drogs for the drop!

elshambo wrote: »
    I think Bohs, Drogs and to a much smaller extent Cork tried doing the old Celtic/Rangers trick of signing/paying people just to stop other teams in the league having them

That does not apply to Cork City. The only players we signed from within the eL were Sullivan and Mooney, because we needed a new striker, and cover at full back.

With regard to the FAI assisting CCFC, why are people bleating on about one rule for one, and another for Shels? FFS, Shels went bust, had traded recklessly for year upon year and reaped the rewards for it. Even at its bleakest, CCFC were in a far stronger position that Shels for survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I actually don't have a problem with that position. Cork were essentially the victims of a swindle, the club itself did nothing wrong. It was well run, on budget and structurally sound until their 'owners' tried to pull a fast one. Hence it was the shortest examinership ever.

The other two clubs to go into examinership, Rovers and Drogs did so as a result of financial mismanagement and stadium delays. Their fault.

I would just like to opoint out that Arkaga have gone into administration in UK as well.

gimmick wrote: »
    That does not apply to Cork City. The only players we signed from within the eL were Sullivan and Mooney, because we needed a new striker, and cover at full back.

With regard to the FAI assisting CCFC, why are people bleating on about one rule for one, and another for Shels? FFS, Shels went bust, had traded recklessly for year upon year and reaped the rewards for it. Even at its bleakest, CCFC were in a far stronger position that Shels for survival.

I dont give a monkies about shels!
    Shels are lucky not to be a pub team, Shels should not have been allowed to keep the league they bought in my opinion:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

elshambo wrote: »
    I dont give a monkies about shels!
    Shels are lucky not to be a pub team, Shels should not have been allowed to keep the league they bought in my opinion:eek:

Should Drogs then?

I actually don't have a problem with that position. Cork were essentially the victims of a swindle, the club itself did nothing wrong. It was well run, on budget and structurally sound until their 'owners' tried to pull a fast one. Hence it was the shortest examinership ever.

If that is the FAI's stance that is fair(ish)(ish) and seeing as they generally have no stance and one of them is probably fannying about on the net, it probably is their stance now:eek::D

I was living in cork and a regular at games before the takover by Arkaga, pretty sure they were on their way to money troubles then?

Uefa are getting well strict on stuff like this now though!

+ I cant get over Cork fans (as Des says below) loving the Arkaga + slagging off other clubs who were in trouble, clubs who have been around 4 times longer than them
    Lording it over everyone in typical corkboy style until it happened to them :eek:
    Should Drogs then?
    Big difference between the two!!!

The other two clubs to go into examinership, Rovers and Drogs did so as a result of financial mismanagement and stadium delays. Their fault.

Swindle me bollix.

The club and fans were happy enough for that Arkaga to take over the club. They owned the club. They WERE the club.

Therefore, it was THE CLUB who acted in the way.

The most galling thing about it is that both Drogs and Cork were sneaky bastards about the Examinership, only taking the option when it was clear that a points deduction wouldn't really hurt them.

Therefore, they should be demoted.

The punishment should hit hard, and not be at the convenience of the club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement