Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency crash drills at Dublin airport freaking out plane spotters.

• 09-10-2008 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Reading in the Irish Independent that a crash drill freaked out a number of plane spotters when it was carried out at the end of a runway. It involved volunteers from the defence forces, a number of appliances and an old Ex Ryanair Boeing 737 200 painted up with mobile phone advertisements.

Last year I was on an evening flight leaving Dublin to Stanstaed and only that the captain informed the cabin in advance of a similar drill we would be equally freaked out. Dose the DAA give advanced warnings of these crash drills? They could mention them in advance in the media or the TV screens at the airport. Some day some old one will get a heart attack :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes, I'm really sure it "freaked them out"

The indo probably do not realise that plane spotters like I show an interest to any happenings at an airport including such drills. It was well understood what was underway, the Indo clearly do not understand a whole lot about aviation or how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Yup, notices all over the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Good for everyone when the bigger picture is taken into account. At least the lads will know how to address a major situation should it arise. Anyone who gets a bit freaked should know that.

I'm sorry I missed this as I would have taken a spin out to see it had I known.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Does anyone have any pictures or video of the drill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Seasoned spotters will also know that that particular Ryanair 737 - which is painted in old "Eircell Ready to Go colours" and without engines i- s a hack that is used for such training purposes. That aircraft was originally consigned to a location close to the back of the Boot Inn for years before being towed to the apron between the short runway close and Forest Little. A couple of AviaJet MD80's are often beside it keeping it company!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I remember that aircraft in use. About ten years ago? Does anyone know what they have replaced the engines with?

Advertisement