Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porter house, in a bottle?

Options
  • 09-10-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Seems our friends at the porter house have plans to venture out into the take home market and invested significant monies to that effect. I hope this will improve the diversity in domestically available (Irish brewed) beers but cant help but wonder what the quality differential between draught and bottled will be....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Porterhouse beer is awful though, It's like American beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Elem wrote: »
    American beers are some of the best in the world -- the Porterhouse have Sierra Nevada Stout on special today at €4 a bottle. It's gorgeous.

I don't think Porterhouse beers are particularly American, unless you're talking about their lagers, which are designed to appeal to people who enjoy mass-produced big-brand beer. But Wrassler's XXXX is one of the best beers in the country. The new Alt they've done for their Oktoberfest, out today, is very good too.
    GenghisCon wrote:
    I hope this will improve the diversity in domestically available (Irish brewed) beers
    I do too, but I suspect that, like most bottled Irish craft beer, this will be going straight off to the States where there's a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Good to hear, that they're willing to license it out to other small brewers.
    To be honest, having a more active microbrewing community, and raising the reputation of Irish craft beer, can only help everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

:confused:

Yea its great news and they seem to be will to allow other brewery to use their system with should help relive the stagnant beer market in this country

• Advertisement

American beer is probably the worst beer in the world.

That a just ignorant, the US ts one of the most diverse places the world or are you just taking bud and miller?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

I certainly hope that satisfying the export market wont preclude its availability in the farther corners of the galaxy (i.e outside Dublin). I imagine O'Briens will be the most likely outlet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

They see me trollin'
    They hatin'

Bit off topic but...

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    They see me trollin'
    They hatin'

Yea, that thought had crossed my mind

Never been to Egypt, eh? Or Korea? Or Cuba? Or South Africa?
    (with apologies for feeding the troll full of crap lager)
    Blisterman wrote:
    To be honest, having a more active microbrewing community, and raising the reputation of Irish craft beer, can only help everyone involved.
    But it'll only go so far unless people like us actively, consistently, choose Irish microbrewed beer over the factory-made stuff. No-one gets to complain about the dearth of Irish craft beers on the market if they're drinking Guinness/Heineken/Bud/Miller/Coors/Smithwicks/Murphys/Beamish.
    GenghisCon wrote:
    I imagine O'Briens will be the most likely outlet...
    Why so? They carry bugger all decent Irish beer at the moment, as far as I can see. I'd say Superquinn could be relied upon to supply these, if they're interested in going the supermarket road, which is always a difficult one.

BeerNut wrote: »

Why so? They carry bugger all decent Irish beer at the moment, as far as I can see. I'd say Superquinn could be relied upon to supply these, if they're interested in going the supermarket road, which is always a difficult one.

Granted, that O'Briens does seem to favor the international wares. However the only non-mass produced Irish Beer I have seen in Superquinn was O'Haras which is also available in our nearest O'Briens. Although O'Briens did not stock the 10th anniversary stout that was released recently so I guess we will have to wait and see.

GenghisCon wrote: »
    the only non-mass produced Irish Beer I have seen in Superquinn was O'Haras which is also available in our nearest O'Briens.
    Yeah, fair enough: the Carlow range are pretty much the only bottled southern-Irish craft beer out there at the moment. I had never seen it in O'Brien's, but I'll take your word that they're carrying it, which is great. Start hassling them about the Whitewater range, next time you're in ;)

Hope you got some O'Hara's Celebration somewhere: it was fantastic.

Hope you got some O'Hara's Celebration somewhere: it was fantastic.

Managed to get a single bottle which was shared over dinner. Piggy went back the next day to get another bottle to enjoy all on his own and alas they were all gone. A specialty Beer bar, in a town not so far away (Taras in Ballina/killaloe; worthy of a thread on its own) has it on draught! Expensive but worth it.

(Taras in Ballina/killaloe; worthy of a thread on its own) has it on draught! Expensive but worth it.

They are doing some great work alright, is that on cask or draught O'Hara's stout (their standard stout)

Both celebration and regular O'haras on draught. I think their only cask beer was Messers rusty red ale. (I am open to correction). Wonderful pace although my last visit was somewhat marred by a friends insistence to stick to bottles of Bulmers and demanded we go to possibly the worst nightclub in the northern hemisphere. Must pay a visit there again soon! (The pub not the club)

Both celebration and regular O'haras on draught.
    Really? Are you sure they had Celebration, and it wasn't MM Imperial or something else by Messrs Maguire?

The draught O'Hara's Stout is really ruined by the nitro -- not a patch on a nice cellar-temp bottle.

pretty sure it was celebration. Forget the specific price but must have been considerable if I didn't bother to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

demanded we go to possibly the worst nightclub in the northern hemisphere.

The one by the bridge? I got as far as the pub (upstairs?) to meet a friend of a friend. Was like a cattle mart. Needless to say we were swiftly back in Tara's.

I know there were/are casks of celebration about, didn't realise there was draught too. When were you there?

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    I know there were/are casks of celebration about,
    "about"?! Dammit, man, where!?

In hindsight, the celebration probably was cask. Was there a few months back. I keep trying to get a possy together. Sadly most of my drinking buddies are less than impressed at the notion. Frankly I'm somewhat disheartened by the number of people that just want to get blitzed on mass produced beer and find the idea of drinking for taste and I quote 'a bit gay.' The future is bright...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

At the Terra Madre food festival in Waterford last month.
    I couldn't make the feast, but Mrs noby spent the latter half of the night with a couple of friends doing their damndest to polish off the cask. So I was informed the following day. I had my 'not impressed' face on for some time.

EDIT: In response to TBN.

I'd love to have the Celebration on cask, with some of the dry gassiness knocked out of it.

So why do your friends bother with beer? Surely turps would be much more efficient?

Surely turps would be much more efficient?

Certainly and cheaper to booth. Unfortunately the establishments that stock such goods generally are not frequented by drunk young ladies who need to be stalked for an entire night and also fail to provide the kind of uplifting music that removes the need for a nasty chat with your pint. And before you ask no I'm not bitter :rolleyes:.

the establishments that stock such goods generally are not frequented by drunk young ladies who need to be stalked for an entire night
    But think of all the yummy mummies. Rawwr!

*cough* I'll stop now.

Most American beers are made with allot of chemicals. Which would cause a terrible hangover and extremely bad for you. I've tried a few Porterhouses in the States, i find they're beer sweet and tasteless.

Most American beers are made with allot of chemicals. Which would cause a terrible hangover and extremely bad for you.
    This is true of most beer, regardless of where it's made (the main hangover-inducing chemical is one called ethanol). There are hundreds and hundreds of American beers that are handmade without preservatives, enhancers, or anything else nasty and unnecessary and which taste magnificent.
    I've tried a few Porterhouses in the States, i find they're beer sweet and tasteless.
    The Porterhouse we're discussing in this thread is a brewery near Blanchardstown which sells beer exclusively in its tied pubs in Dublin, Bray and London. I think you may be on a different page from the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Most American beers are made with allot of chemicals.

You really need to qualify that a lot more

Advertisement