Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porter house, in a bottle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

BeerNut wrote: »
    This is true of most beer, regardless of where it's made (the main hangover-inducing chemical is one called ethanol). There are hundreds and hundreds of American beers that are handmade without preservatives, enhancers, or anything else nasty and unnecessary and which taste magnificent.

Indeedy. I also remember reading somewhere (again I am open to correction) that the methanol/ethanol fraction within the alcohol contained in Irish mass produced Beers has very very slightly more meths than European (and perhaps American?) beers. (Bear in mind this was a few years back so again I include a caveat.) While obviously the fermentation process involved in Beer making means that methanol is never produced in sufficient quantity to pose a health risk, if present in enough quantity it will make you feel pretty rotten. I would imagine that that has a greater bearing on how it makes you feel that the additives maligned above.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I can't imagine that Heineken or Diageo have anything in their beers that they don't want to be there, given the amount of industrial processing they put them through. Did it suggest the meths was deliberate?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

certainly not. The book in question (I'll see if I cant find the reference, its been a while) seemed to suggest it was just the slightly different way the Beer was brewed here. My initial response was surely all brewing by big companies was standardised globally? This book seemed to suggest that very small differences were allowable within given parameters. Again this was a couple of years back so it may no longer apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Going back to the original post, has anyone seen this stuff yet? and where's it going to available?

They were reckoning on having it on the market by about February, but these things are always subject to slippage. And as I said above, I doubt we'll see very much of it on sale in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I know that BeerNut, i was responding to how bad ‘American Beers' are. And I'm well aware you’re discussing The Porterhouse in Dublin, i worked for them for 2 years. I'm simply saying the only decent beer i can really taste is from the likes of Czech Republic and Poland, and Heineken in France, tasted totally different than over here. It actually tastes like beer!

Elem wrote: »
    I've tried a few Porterhouses in the States
    And I'm well aware you’re discussing The Porterhouse in Dublin
    This is the bit I don't get. If you're aware where The Porterhouse is, why are you talking about it being in the States?
    I'm simply saying the only decent beer i can really taste is from the likes of Czech Republic and Poland, and Heineken in France, tasted totally different than over here.
    So I'm guessing you're a lager drinker. I'm not surprised you don't think much of Porterhouse lagers, or mass-market American and Irish lagers: none of them show beer in its best light. But there's a hell of a lot more to beer, to Porterhouse beer, and to American beer, than the fizzy yellow stuff.

The Porterhouse would be daft to bottle any of its lagers. Anyone would be mad to bring a new Irish lager to the market -- it's in the nature of fizzy yellow beer that people pay more attention to the brand than the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

BeerNut wrote: »
    This is the bit I don't get. If you're aware where The Porterhouse is, why are you talking about it being in the States?

Because I was saying that Porterhouse beers (lagers) are very simular to cheap American beer, and the brewer will tell you that himself. Don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Because I was saying that Porterhouse beers (lagers) are very simular to cheap American beer, and the brewer will tell you that himself. Don't quote me on that.

Their chiller is supposed to be similar to American pilsner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Peronally, I found their Temple Brau to be one of the nicest lagers I've ever tasted.

Then again, I'm not much of a lager fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Well, I'm a lager fan and I agree with you. I don't find that the Porterhouse lagers resemble the mass-marketed USA beers at all and especially not Hersbrucker. But it's no wonder American beer has such a bad name considering the ubiquitous, watery Budweiser.

Advertisement