Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science - late entry

Options
  • 09-10-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey there,

I need some advice, I was one honour away from being accepted into computer science, but I've just been upgraded to an honour, now I have enough to get into computer science.

I had it down as my number 3 or 4 on CAO (I toward the end I wanted it no.1, but couldn't change it) would I be able to get into this course now? either this year or next year, because, had I have gotten the two honours when the first and second rounds were out I might have been offered a place?

Any help would be great, I don't really know who to ask about this, so I though this would be a good place to start.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Try contacting Oliver O'Connor. You'll get his number and email from the www.comp.dit.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Im in the same situation, I got offered computer science today!!
    What should I expect, obviously ive missed a bit, will it be hard to catch up...etc??

Im in shock here!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

BaRcOe wrote: »
    What should I expect, obviously ive missed a bit, will it be hard to catch up...etc??

Im in shock here!

Yeah its a weird situation alright.

I've just got off the phone with the admissions office, and he said if I want to deferr my place to next year, all I do is send them a letter explaining why, and apply to the CAO next year with that course as my no.1.

I think I'm gonna defer as, I've already missed a few weeks of the course.

Tim you can go in Now i fyou want, its Only 1st year and you will catch up eventually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Im in shock here!
    delighted you got offered dude. You won't have missed much he most important thing is to catch up on labs. Also mention to lecturers that youve come in late and is there anything you need to know in regards to continuous assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Tim you can go in Now i fyou want, its Only 1st year and you will catch up eventually!!

I really am debating what to do. I've paid money for the course I'm already in (SCD) and I feel I would be very much behind the work, and because of that, I might not do well. ah jaysus dunno wat to do...have to have answered in 5 days :p

Tim131 wrote: »
    I really am debating what to do. I've paid money for the course I'm already in (SCD) and I feel I would be very much behind the work, and because of that, I might not do well. ah jaysus dunno wat to do...have to have answered in 5 days :p

Tim I just got off the fone with my career teacher, she said go in with the guy i know whos doin the course on monday, chek it out, go into a couple of lectures see if i am up to it. In terms of catchin up, you WILL catch up, just do a couple hours work on da weekends for now until you catch up!
    Cremo wrote: »
    delighted you got offered dude. You won't have missed much he most important thing is to catch up on labs. Also mention to lecturers that youve come in late and is there anything you need to know in regards to continuous assessment.

Thanks Cremo nice one! Do you think I will catch up handy enough? What have I missed/? I hav been doin computer engineering da last 3-4 wks so it mite overlap a little bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

Sounds like good advice. If you've already started another course, you should be able to get your fees back (I think) if you leave before a certain date. October 31st rings a bell.

I dunno if I'd defer a year. Batty O'Keeffe seems determined to bring in fees. I'd get my feet under a desk as soon as possible. You won't have missed that much!

Ye the fact that examinations did there job incorrectly by marking me wrong I have every right to transfer the fees, that shouldnt be a problem.

Im pretty sure i'll be going there from now on, it just makes soooo much more sence!!:D;) I also wanna b around for Rag week

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rag week is in Feb, so you've plenty of time before that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement