Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Limits

Options
  • 09-10-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi, were just after getting wireless broadband in to our new house, its a 3Mb connection with a 20GB download limit. So what I would like to know is, is there a tool available or some other way that i can monitor the monthly downloads.

Maybe even something that could send me an email when we hit 15GB (i know that is asking a lot)

there are a couple of computers in the house so the solution would ideally have to be able to collate the information from the all the laptops.

Also there will probably be Vista, Ubuntu and Mac OS running.

Is this too tall a task? Could i have made it any more difficult with my requirements????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I don't really know about a tool that would be suitable for all 3 operating systems, but this one is pretty nice for Windows:

http://www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com/

Commercial though, but pretty cheap at $20 - there's a 30 day trial available.

Something similar for Mac OS X is this:

http://freespace.virgin.net/jeremy.dronfield/skoobysoft/utilities/utilities.html

Surplus Meter is freeware.

Not sure on something for Ubuntu I'm afraid - pretty sure there'll be tons available.

One problem these apps have is that there is no way to differentiate between internal and external traffic if you are not connected to a modem directly. So if you have a lot of stuff shared across your network, it will list all that traffic as part of the total too...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

ya the OS thing isnt a massive problem, i can probably get either the windows or the Mac app to run in ubuntu. the internal network traffic wouldnt be a big issue, i doubt we'll be sending files around much.

I'll give that a try in the next few days and see how it goes.

I wonder is there somewhere in either the wireless router or the cable modem that has a record of this info, it seems like the kind of monitor that would be built into them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Which ISP? Most provide an online bandwidth monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

It came with an NTL TV package deal, so i think its UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

For €10 a month more you can get a 3x faster download and unlimited* cap, for a group of people sharing wouldn't that be more suitable? I think UPC are not too strict, maybe they will send an email if you are consistently over - I'm sure others can advise you better on this front.

*Not really unlimited, but as close as you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

NetMETER forgot address. Google it, great imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Onikage wrote: »
    For €10 a month more you can get a 3x faster download and unlimited* cap, for a group of people sharing wouldn't that be more suitable? I think UPC are not too strict, maybe they will send an email if you are consistently over - I'm sure others can advise you better on this front.

*Not really unlimited, but as close as you can get.

Permanet offer Unlimited No little "*"'s
    :D
    Very handy not the cheapest though

Advertisement