Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External light

• 09-10-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I want to provide light for a chicken coop outside. It will involve plugging a flex into an external socket and then attaching a bulb holder to the end of it- I've already got a disused ceiling rose bulb holder which only has live & neutrel terminals. Does the flex need to be earthed? If so what sort of bulb holder should I get?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

Yorky wrote: »
    I want to provide light for a chicken coop outside. It will involve plugging a flex into an external socket and then attaching a bulb holder to the end of it- I've already got a disused ceiling rose bulb holder which only has live & neutrel terminals. Does the flex need to be earthed? If so what sort of bulb holder should I get?

Thanks in advance.

because the ceiling rose is made of plastic/bakolite it doesnt require and earth, but the earth must still be connected at the plug end incase of damage to the cable. is the light for heat or is it just for light, i ask cause we sell a lot of what we call chicken lamp holders. they are a ceramic version of what you have and they are used with heat lamps(infared) in situations like this.
    as regards the flex depending on the distance between the plug and lamp flex might no be your best/safest option. if the cable is outdoors and exsposed 3x 1.5 swa cable would be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

TRhanks for your reply.

but the earth must still be connected at the plug end incase of damage to the cable

Does this mean the socket must be earthed? There is no earth terminal in the ceiling rose so only a live & neutral cable could be used.
    is the light for heat or is it just for light

Just light
    as regards the flex depending on the distance between the plug and lamp flex might no be your best/safest option. if the cable is outdoors and exsposed 3x 1.5 swa cable would be a better choice.

The cable would need to be about ten metres long. What is 3 x 1.5 swa cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Yorky wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend that you get a propper sealed outdoor light fitting, they are not expensive.

Also you may need to get a better cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

swa cable is steel wire armoured, its designed to used in outdoors where a normal cable could get damaged.
    as for the light i would use a sealed bulkhead, they take standard bulbs aswell as cfl which is usefull if you plan to leave it on overnight.
    if you dont want the hassle of using swa then get some 3x 1.5 nym cable and bury it in some conduit.

Advertisement