Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another way to meet Bret Hart this year?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

flahavaj wrote: »
    Spot on. There's plenty things I'd fault him on over the years, but in a strange way seeing him at the show in Tallaght and meeting him at the book signing for a few brief seconds kinda brings home that he's just a person like all of us and a seemingly genuine, humble and polite one at that. I dunno how to describe it, its strange a found his little speech a bit like a goodbye as if hes putting the final piece of closure on his career. I'm going to go back and read his book again now a second time with a little more of an open mind and will probably enjoy it all the more for it.

I got that sense of closure too.

Bret's book meant a lot to me the first time I read it as it kind of helped me put things into perspective at tough transitional time in my life. Bret did seem genuinely pleased to hear that when I related that to him. In many ways I grew up a Bret hart fan.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Neither are we, but it's back on track, so can we please keep it this way? :)
    ShawnRaven wrote:
    Well you know what they say don't you, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem!

It was you who sent it off topic.

Anyway, im not arguing it any more. Like a bunch of kids.

I'm glad Bret was in good mood today. I don't think anyone's had any trouble or complaints with him yet? I know a poster (cant think who, off hand) said they got the impression that he really didn't want to be there when he was at one of the shows, but thats not really that bad a thing to hear. Could be a lot worse.

Did he offer personalised signatures to everyone? Must admit, I'm surprised Niall allowed so many people to get stuff signed. Seems a little prick-like to show up to get something signed, knowing that they were limiting it to 60 people who bought books in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Spot on. There's plenty things I'd fault him on over the years, but in a strange way seeing him at the show in Tallaght and meeting him at the book signing for a few brief seconds kinda brings home that he's just a person like all of us and a seemingly genuine, humble and polite one at that. I dunno how to describe it, its strange a found his little speech a bit like a goodbye as if hes putting the final piece of closure on his career. I'm going to go back and read his book again now a second time with a little more of an open mind and will probably enjoy it all the more for it.

I got that when i saw him at the signing. There was somewhat a look about him that says "i'm missing something". Given what he's been through in the last 10 years really, losing his brother, his career and then his parents with a stroke in between. I know i've made somewhat cruel jokes in the past regarding Bret, ones for which i'm genuinely sorry for. The guy does have the scars of time written all over his face.

So it's closure, plus it gives him the opportunity to start over in a sense. Something he more than deserves, especially if you read the first 200 pages of his book, when you realise that his life really didn't go to plan from the getgo.

Anyway, im not arguing it any more. Like a bunch of kids.

We will see how long this will last.

I got that when i saw him at the signing. There was somewhat a look about him that says "i'm missing something". Given what he's been through in the last 10 years really, losing his brother, his career and then his parents with a stroke in between. I know i've made somewhat cruel jokes in the past regarding Bret, ones for which i'm genuinely sorry for. The guy does have the scars of time written all over his face.

So it's closure, plus it gives him the opportunity to start over in a sense. Something he more than deserves, especially if you read the first 200 pages of his book, when you realise that his life really didn't go to plan from the getgo.

I really hope you finish his book as it is pretty commendable that you’ve gotten this insight yourself without finishing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Oh yeah, plus the Hart Foundation from 1985-1991 were a tag team that were well ahead of their time and were very instrumental in a very successful tag team division in the WWE.

Now those were MY childhood memories of Bret Hart, and damn good ones. :)

There would be no Bret Hart today if l hadn't [joined The Hart Foundation]. l was dying on the vine, all but done for. Luckily,they thought, "Let's let him tag up with [Jim] Neidhart for a few months, maybe just to get a bottom-level team out of us.
    We turned out to be a great team. / in his own words.

rovert wrote: »
    I really hope you finish his book as it is pretty commendable that you’ve gotten this insight yourself without finishing it.

That was down to personal experience. I lost a close family member last year, it definitely changes you, and not for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

On the bus home I randomly opened the book on a page where Bret and Owen were speaking a few months after Montreal. Owen was working for Vince and was being treated like sh*t by the Clique and Bret had started working for WCW and was deeply unhappy there. He turns to owen and says "in three years when our contracts are up we'll sit on each others back decks and laugh at all this sh*t."

How poignant and heartbreaking is that forlorn hope considering the tragedy that would befall his brother not long after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Must admit, I'm surprised Niall allowed so many people to get stuff signed. Seems a little prick-like to show up to get something signed, knowing that they were limiting it to 60 people who bought books in advance.

Was talking to niall a few days before the signing and he said that they didnt intentionally ask if he would be up for signing anything other than the book.
    Purposely so that if anyone did show up with a belt, fig pack or whatever, they wouldnt have to turn them away.

Guys can we please just quit.

Like a bunch of fucking children.

Must buy the book. I've been meaning to get it for a while. I'll have to pick it up soon. This is a little off topic, but is Jericho's book worth picking up?

It won't. Because you'll keep on my back over every little thing i say.

Example: The post of yours im quoting accomplished nothing and just drags this crap out even more. Just stop replying to me, and I'll stop replying to you. Everyone's a winner.

• Advertisement

Must buy the book. I've been meaning to get it for a while. I'll have to pick it up soon. This is a little off topic, but is Jericho's book worth picking up?

Yes.

:pac:

Minto hasn't been able to stop singing the books praises. I have it a year and not had a chance to check it myself.
    Example: The post of yours im quoting accomplished nothing and just drags this crap out even more. Just stop replying to me, and I'll stop replying to you. Everyone's a winner.

It takes two to let a subject drop. You're hell bent on getting the last word. Just let it go, because if you don't know by now that it's no easy feat to win a last word contest with rovert (no disrespect dude), then there's zero hope for you.

That was down to personal experience. I lost a close family member last year, it definitely changes you, and not for the better.

I was kind of going though something with two close family members (a stroke & cancer) who luckily made it though when I was reading the book.
    It won't. Because you'll keep on my back over every little thing i say.

I keep doing it was never seem to take any of it in.

So I guess it did last long did it, further petulance on your part.

On the bus home I randomly opened the book on a page where Bret and Owen were speaking a few months after Montreal. Owen was working for Vince and was being treated like sh*t by the Clique and Bret had started working for WCW and was deeply unhappy there. He turns to owen and says "in three years when our contracts are up we'll sit on each others back decks and laugh at all this sh*t."

How poignant and heartbreaking is that forlorn hope considering the tragedy that would befall his brother not long after?

You should watch his second RF shoot interview that was shot in New York in 2001. Owen so wanted out of his contract with Vince badly, he was so miserable there. It tore Bret apart a lot that he couldn't get out. Bret now claims that he has stopped blaming himself, but i often wonder if he's telling us, or him?

I was kind of going though something with two close family members (a stroke & cancer) who luckily made it though when I was reading the book.

Long may they stay healthy. I mean that.

It takes two to let a subject drop.

Why can't any other said poster just drop it either?
    I keep doing it was never seem to take any of it in.

So I guess it did last long did it, further petulance on your part.

Congratulations rovert. Jack knifed another thread off course.

Could you just say this in your next post:
    Lets just stop and leave it here

Minto hasn't been able to stop singing the books praises. I have it a year and not had a chance to check it myself.

It takes two to let a subject drop. You're hell bent on getting the last word. Just let it go, because if you don't know by now that it's no easy feat to win a last word contest with rovert (no disrespect dude), then there's zero hope for you.

Im not looking to get the last word just for KKV go get the message: Stopping being so childish. Ive attempted to drop the subject yet KKV still comes out with comments with him insulted by the fact I dare use facts in discussions.

Did bret have any problems signing belts of any kind?

Im not looking to get the last word just for KKV go get the message: Stopping being so childish. Ive attempted to drop the subject yet KKV still comes out with comments with him insulted by the fact I dare use facts in discussions.

You're singing to the choir here rovert. ;)
    I'm just suggesting to do what i did a few months ago when our arguments went around in circles. It wasn't a case of being a last word thing. But some things can only keep going in circles until a thread is destroyed entirely.

You know where i'm coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I saw a lad who was sitting beside me with a signed belt, so no.

No he didn't. He had the silver marker to sign the leather. About 3 or 4 people had signed belts. They had books as well though i think.

Why can't any other said poster just drop it either?:

Erm I did already yet KKV brought it up again
    Congratulations rovert. Jack knifed another thread off course.

I made more valuable posts in this thread than most people in fairness. KKV took it off course in post #85 so dont blame me.
    Could you just say this in your next post:

Why I previously said it already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

No , no problem at all , he was very cooperative with everyone.

No he didn't. He had the silver marker to sign the leather. About 3 or 4 people had signed belts. They had books as well though i think.

Cool :)

But any ideas did he charge more or anything?
    Erm I did already yet KKV brought it up again

As another respected poster previously said:
    It takes two to tango.
    I made more valuable posts in this thread than most people in fairness. KKV took it off course in post #85 so dont blame me.

i never said you didnt. I dont think anyone did, but right now, weither you did or not has been overshadowed by all this non sense.

As another respected poster previously said:
    It takes two to tango.

i never said you didnt. I dont think anyone did, but right now, weither you did or not has been overshadowed by all this non sense.

KKV out of the blue makes bull**** claims about what happened with no backup and I get crap about it? Yet in the same breath chides me over my use of facts.

• Advertisement

Cool :)

But any ideas did he charge more or anything?

This was at the Wrestling Mania signing. People chanced their arm, and obviously it paid off. The AWR guys gave a little leeway to their credit because they made 100 signings in about an hour. Although one guy did take the mick by trying to get about 4-5 8x10's signed as well, so he was pulled after 2 of them.

The AWR guy was actually very nice as well. I think i was talking to him for about 30 minutes just about various matches that were on the screens. Conversation ended up going from Pro Wrestling to the state of the worldwide economic crisis. Real nice guys, very professional.

The AWR guy was actually very nice as well. I think i was talking to him for about 30 minutes just about various matches that were on the screens. Conversation ended up going from Pro Wrestling to the state of the worldwide economic crisis. Real nice guys, very professional.

Care to elaborate? :)

Sounds like it was more of an exhibition than a wrestling show. :pac:

**edit**
    Sorry, you were on about that was in mania....woops

**edit**
    Sorry, you were on about that was in mania....woops

Sorry can't resist but...
    Don't you feel stupid now? :D

Sorry can't resist but...
    Don't you feel stupid now? :D

...:confused:

I think ive missed something

...:confused:

I think ive missed something

Yeah... the joke! :P

• Advertisement

I was very surprised about the amount of people queuing up to get their book signed. I really didnt expect that many.

I was very surprised about the amount of people queuing up to get their book signed. I really didnt expect that many.

Bret is/was a MAJOR star in Europe so it aint too surprising.

I know we spoke about this on the phone earlier, but i just want to share this one with the folks here.

It doesn't surprise me at all. There were old school wrestling fans who were dying to have a photo of their kids taken with him. Bret was a major player from 1991-1997. That's pretty much two generations of wrestling fans when you think about it. The fans who finished up their passion for Wrestling just before the attitude era who watched it as kids, and the kids who started watching just as the Attitude era began.

Also if i recall correctly, this would have been Brets first public appearance in Ireland since WWA's tour in 2001. And especially if word got around that it would be his last, it's hardly going to be surprising. :)

I know we spoke about this on the phone earlier, but i just want to share this one with the folks here.

It doesn't surprise me at all. There were old school wrestling fans who were dying to have a photo of their kids taken with him. Bret was a major player from 1991-1997. That's pretty much two generations of wrestling fans when you think about it. The fans who finished up their passion for Wrestling just before the attitude era who watched it as kids, and the kids who started watching just as the Attitude era began.

Also if i recall correctly, this would have been Brets first public appearance in Ireland since WWA's tour in 2001. And especially if word got around that it would be his last, it's hardly going to be surprising. :)

AWR did a relatively amazing job using the press to advertise the show.

Only time i've ever seen an advertisement for a wrestling show on the back of a bus! :D

They advertised in the 2 drogheda papers for the show in dundalk!
    :):D

Probably because Dundalk doesn't have a paper! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Does anyone know if Bret will be doing any signings etc on Monday?
    I couldn't get a gold ticket to the Tallaght match and I didn't hear about the Stephen's Green signing til now. :(

Not to my knowledge. He appeared there through an AWR contact.

The rest of the AWR dates are as follows.
    Today: Letterkenny
    Wed: Killarney
    Thurs: Dundalk
    Fri: Cork
    Sat: Wexford

Not sure if Bret is appearing at all of those dates, best bet is to go through the AWR thread for that. It's mentioned in the first couple of pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

There are slight differences in the cover...

Yeah, I noticed a lot of people there had glossier covers, though my book seemed that wee bit thicker.
    Did he offer personalised signatures to everyone?...

Yup, as far as I know he offered personalised signatures to everyone.
    This is a little off topic, but is Jericho's book worth picking up?

Jericho's book is without a doubt one of best wrestling book I've ever read. You won't regret buying this book.

• Advertisement

McConnon wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed a lot of people there had glossier covers, though my book seemed that wee bit thicker.

I'm not sure if there's any extra pages though... Both books had roughly the same number of pages. I think the cover is a little thicker on the newer release.

Advertisement