Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon resin or whatever

Options
  • 09-10-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know were to get some carbon fubre / fibre glass etc .
    Reason : I want to make my own shield but a good one : ) because im quite handy ( I know somebody will probably turn that into a pervy joke but so-so) .
    Any help is welcome and and hints on making shields too : )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭elsi

You will get fibre glass resin or mats and polyester filler for smoother finish in any motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Whats a motor fatcor?
    And what should i use as a base/.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Filler (ie P38, isapon etc etc) will crack if its shot, avoid that stuff..
    You can pick up epoxy resin and fibre matting in car parts shops like halfords and the like. you can use it to make GRP "glass reinforced plastic" but it is a messy job and take sa lot of time. depends on what you want to do though, You'll need to make a mold of what your making and pour some resin into it, then stick some matting on it and pour some more resin, the more fibre the stronger it will get. to get a nice smooth finish you will have to wait until it hardens "(usually between 20mins 2hours depending on the ammount of hardener mixed into the resin in the begining.)

once ya have its rough shape made up and hardened, pour more resin on it and rotate the piece so it covers the whole thing. (its pretty thick stuff) when it hardens it'll be really smooth but you can go over it with a few grades of sand paper to make it super smooth.

Ehhhhh - all i heard was " it take sa lota time " Is there no easier way like gettin some cardboard and putting fibre glass mats one it or sumtin ? I mean i'm talkin bout a real half as*d job here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Ehhhhh - all i heard was " it take sa lota time " Is there no easier way like gettin some cardboard and putting fibre glass mats one it or sumtin ? I mean i'm talkin bout a real half as*d job here ...

from my experience fibre glass/cardon fiber together with half arsed do not go well together

• Advertisement

Porque?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

If you found that difficult to understand then id say it a safe bet you shouldn't bother trying to do something like this.,,

Like what ? am i missing a video or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

Does anybody know were to get some carbon fubre / fibre glass etc .
    Reason : I want to make my own shield but a good one : ) because im quite handy ( I know somebody will probably turn that into a pervy joke but so-so) .
    Any help is welcome and and hints on making shields too : )

you give me a design and dimentions and i will do it for you man:cool:

How much will it cost ?

• Advertisement

How much will it cost ?

depends on the size and complexity really, the bigger and more complex the more fibreglass, resin, hardener it takes...you draw up a plan and put it up here...a fibreglass one will be very heavy towards standard ones you know that?? you are better off getting some plexi glass...
    this link will bring you to a good deal, most hardwares will rip you off...postage it £6.50 to ireland

http://www.hindleys.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7_57_60_61_78

gimme an estimate for like an average shield

gimme an estimate for like an average shield

acrylic glass = light, tough, see through, looks like the real deal, you can customise it yourself, cheap...

fiber glass = heavy(heavier than plywood sheild:eek:), expensive, takes a while, and it will break and chip if you bang it around...

its pretty easy to get acrylic glass in a hardware like b&q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Whats a motor fatcor?
    And what should i use as a base/.

Some friendly advice for you, Sean: I think the general message here is, that if you're not sure what any of this stuff means, then it will be a lot cheaper and safer for you to order a shield from the web; eBay, for example, or begadi.com. Especially if you're going to start messing about with resins and that sort of stuff. It will have handles, the sort of size and design you're looking for, and survive a full game of airsoft.

Probably a better idea , It's just that I can't seem to find one :confused::confused: So I'm gonna check out those sites :D

Advertisement