Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Haircut

Options
  • 09-10-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm hoping to take my 20month son for his 1st haircut this weekend. To say he's Samson would be an understatement, we have to tie the front back off his face when he's eating. I really don't want to give him a "buzzcut" but I'm not too sure what to ask the hairdresser to do. I don't want to come out with a "Child of the Corn" holding my hand. It's so much easier with girls!!!! :confused: Any advice on what to ask for and how to get him to stay still long enough to get it done would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

We went to Kiddie Kuts in Blanch for our daughter's first cut, and like you didn't really know what to say to get done. But they have seen the first cuts hundreds of times and quickly transformed her out of control mop into something nice and neat, after explaining that that's what we were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

20 months without a haircut???:eek:

is he captain caveman Jnr?:D

alot of the mothercare stores now have a kiddies kuts in them, theres a new store in mahon point I think. Delly is right, these guys know what they're doing, just tell tem ou want to keep some length in it but it needs to be neatened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

20 months without a haircut???:eek:

is he captain caveman Jnr?:D

I know! I had to get my son's hair cut when he was 3 months old and every 4 weeks after that so I have lost track of the amount of times he has had it done. KiddiKutz are great though! And there is always something to distract them while getting it done. When they see me coming they always turn Barney on for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends on the kid, some of them have sod all hair until they are 2 or 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

you dont have to chop it all off if you dont want to. Just ask them to take a couple of inch's off all around to shorten it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I butchered my sons hair for long enough and decided to bring him to the hairdresser last month.... He had long hair for ages and it was gorgeous on him.. Anyhow I wanted something trendy for him, So I went for a mullett. It is gorgeous on him. Especially when styled. Dont be afraid to go for something different,

Or if you still want it long leave it and just get them to trim the fringe and sides...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Quality wrote: »
    Anyhow I wanted something trendy for him, So I went for a mullett.

sorry but those two words haven't gone together since the 80s, and it's been well documented that they were wrong then too!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

sorry but those two words haven't gone together since the 80s, and it's been well documented that they were wrong then too!!:p

Ahh its gorgeous on him, He is like a lil, billy ray cyrus!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

get what wayne rooney had done today.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I brought my 10 month old to the barbers that I frequent. He gets a number 4 back and sides every 2 months since (he's now 22 months). He seems to like it - he's never 'made strange' at any visit to the barbers. Boy's look more like boys with short hair, imo. The ba$tards charge the same as an adult cut - €14 :eek: But that's at weekends, maybe they have a better deal during the week but that wouldn't suit as I work Mon - Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

My son is 19 months and has had 4 haircuts with another one due soon.
    Kiddies cuts is great..perfect for keeping LOs occupied with videos and fun chairs to sit in.

First haircut they get a cert and a lock of hair kept..really quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I never got my sons hair cut with a razor. He started that himself last year when he went for the mohawk!!

I just went in for a short neat cut. Just tell them you only want it cut with a sizzors and not to go too short.

If at the end of it you think its too long you can tell them to cut more, and if its the other way sure its only hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PurpleLily

Thanks for the advice!!!

I just love the long hair on him - the mullet idea is very appealing, just for the shock value!!! (although I think his Dad might be against the redneck look :eek:). Heading off in an hour to get it done so hopefully all will go well. Again thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I cut my own lad's hair with a razor - he looks like a complete skinhead for about a week because I always go too short ;) but after we get used to the fact he's not going to beat us to a pulp, he looks lovely.. Thanks for reminding me, its about time to break out the razor again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

just get the dad to bring him to whatever barbers he uses himself.I have brought my 3and half year old to my own barbers plenty of times,he's had a mohawk,buzzzcut and spikes,he prefers the spikes now and wants me to buy him his own gel when shopping:D.

Never really got or went for the long hair on boys myself(sure i'll have his goth stage to look forward to for that)and i didnt like the cut he got in our local kiddies cuts,but that might just have been me catching them on a bad day.

Advertisement