Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MORE traffic lights!

Options
  • 09-10-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Surprise! :o
    Not only have limerick city council decided to plant another ridiculous set of traffic lights on the dock road, they've decided to position them at the entrance to the Long Avenue ( opposite what used to be O'Rourkes shop, road to Mary I) - a whopping 200 METRES AWAY FROM THE OTHER NEW SET!

What a load of b*ll*x - the planners in the council need a right kick up the arse imho.

As if the dock road on a monday morning isnt bad enough... rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ever tried getting off that long avenue onto the dock road?

also, for all the bashing we did of the lights at the tipp road junction, they're working brilliantly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is all a ploy to to encourage people to use the tolled Shannon tunnel when it opens instead of the Dock road. This road managed all these years without these traffic lights yet 2 years or less from the opening of the tunnel that is going to be tolled they appear all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

The only time Ive seen the lights on the Tipp road flyover work properly is when theres no traffic.

its an obvious c0ckup being patched. That junctiion should be a 'full diamond' with slip roads.

Speaking of patching....how much is that rebuild of the nenagh bypass costing?...its only been open for 10 years like?? who is to blame for that??

have you been out the tipp road lately?! the traffic is way smoother than when there was no lights, theres even been feeder lights put in.

I live out the Tipp road and work behind OMaras, so yes Ive seen it pretty recently. Have you been there at 5:30pm?

Not to mention ho dangerous it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dnClar

Lights are a nightmare, They could fit a mini roundabout there, at least it would keep the traffic flowing. Lot more using the shortcut down by scotts now if its easier get out and turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

zuroph wrote: »
    have you been out the tipp road lately?! the traffic is way smoother than when there was no lights, theres even been feeder lights put in.
    Xennon wrote: »
    I live out the Tipp road and work behind OMaras, so yes Ive seen it pretty recently. Have you been there at 5:30pm?

Not to mention ho dangerous it is.

Made things better? Its added 5 min to my journey home every day.....and my journey was only 15 min! It can also delay me a few min in the morning depending on whether I miss the lights or not.

oh no, 5 minutes, its saved way more than that and possibly lives too for the people exiting the dual carriageway onto the tipp road.

oh no, 5 minutes, its saved way more than that and possibly lives too for the people exiting the dual carriageway onto the tipp road.

Your arguement was that it has made things smoother and more efficient. Can you explain how? You seem to be the only one here who thinks so.

I'm all for saving lives and making things more efficient. The solution has made it safer, but I don't believe their solution has made it more efficient. The could have done things a lot better to improve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Made things smoother my a**. If you try and come from town and turn right onto the dual carraigeway you have 3 sets of lights to get throught all which are completly out of tandem with each other, I for one am sick of being stuck, at a red light when there is no traffic at all. This is the worse piece of infastructure in Limerick and should be upgraded immiediately.

I am all for saving lives and reducing crashes but this junction is beyond all reason, each day a new set of lights goes into place which is delaying traffic more and more, all done on purpose for the tunnel project which is fine but when events like the opening of Thomand Park occour like tonight happens the whole city comes to a whopping HALT!! and just how many accidents occured around the city as a result I wonder...

• Advertisement

Zuroph, My arguement is not about the lights, but about the fact that they are a fix on a c0ck up by planners on that road which is only open how long???..

The excuse was that they didnt forsee the volume of traffic.... Come on, its the road to Tipperary and to a busy port, its not rocket science like.

Then theres the nenagh bypass, how many millions are being spend on that only 10 years since the opened the original bypass.

Zebra crossings on roundabouts, road signs printed on the road so that if theres heavey traffic you have no hope of finding out what lane goes where, traffic flow systems in cities that are not synchronised, how many more of these idiotic mistakes are going to be looked over?

Do it right, and do it once!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I think the biggest problem in Limerick, is that the City council use one company to do their traffic systems, and the Limerick county council use a different contractor. Neither must speak to each other, and neither are a Limerick based company so everything they do are not in sync and therefore simply make things worse....

I dont understand why they are doing the Nenagh Bypass section again, never found anything wrong with myself apart from the fact it was a single carraigeway, I am presuming it will be a dual lane which wouldnt be any harm, but as already stated, why they never did this in the first place beckon me to ponder if this is done on purpose to keep costs down originally or to simply make more money for the contractors awared the contracts...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Also, those new lights at the Groody Roundabout are a great addition for the pedrestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

steveon wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem in Limerick, is that the City council use one company to do their traffic systems, and the Limerick county council use a different contractor. Neither must speak to each other, and neither are a Limerick based company so everything they do are not in sync and therefore simply make things worse....

I dont understand why they are doing the Nenagh Bypass section again, never found anything wrong with myself apart from the fact it was a single carraigeway, I am presuming it will be a dual lane which wouldnt be any harm, but as already stated, why they never did this in the first place beckon me to ponder if this is done on purpose to keep costs down originally or to simply make more money for the contractors awared the contracts...

I assume they want to make it motorway. They cant do that on a single lane.

correct, the legislation has already been signed to assign motorway status to the entire road when finished.

correct, the legislation has already been signed to assign motorway status to the entire road when finished.

I'm not familiar with the project at all. How long is "the entire road"?

http://www.n7nenaghtolimerick.com/ change the N to an M soon :D

edit:. I was slightly wrong in that
    "The 38km project consists of 28km motorway standard cross section in a green field site plus the widening of the Nenagh Bypass to dual carriageway standard."

However, I believe the reasoning for this is that it will be motorway ONCE the road is joined to the motorway the whole way from dublin...until then, its a traffic calming measure

Advertisement