Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Automatics

Options
  • 09-10-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there, I am looking at buying an automatic 2nd hand car for myself first time. Would like to get some advice on this one;

Toyota Corolla 1.6 GLS Auto 2001 registered, UK import, 45k miles, full electric pack (EW, ESR, EM) AC, 6cd multichanger, alloys, ABS, driver and passenger airbags.

The price though seems to be rather over priced - 5500. Would like to get some advice.

Thanks
    Ash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The kind of people who generally buy Corollas pobably would stay away from autos. I might be corrected on this but I reckon shifting it on could be troublesome. Is it now Irish reg'd?? You would want to be sure you could bare a corolla for a long time before you should buy it.

I'd prefer something like this for my money http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S40/1.8-122BHP/1226269/ I would htink it was better on every front and the price is within an asses roar of your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i drive a 97 corolla manual, and am always looking for excuses to drive my dads 01 s40. took it on a long trip to belfast one day and was very reluctant to return it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2001 1.6 auto Corolla for €5,500, the seller must be having a laugh. A 1.6 Corolla with an auto box is not that desirable over here. Car is probably worth around €3,500 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I have never driven an automatic myself and dont realy intend to, but a friend of my fathers got a diesel Rover 75 a few months ago after driving manual for over 30 years and he loves it.Car is smooth and has plenty of power, they have bmw engines and you get a heck of a car.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Rover/75/Connoisseur-(/1223031/

I dont know much about Auto's, but I would think comfort is the main point of going for one and Corolla's arent a patch on the likes of Volvo, Rover, Saab etc for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Ash001 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am looking at buying an automatic 2nd hand car for myself first time. Would like to get some advice on this one;

Toyota Corolla 1.6 GLS Auto 2001 registered, UK import, 45k miles, full electric pack (EW, ESR, EM) AC, 6cd multichanger, alloys, ABS, driver and passenger airbags.

The price though seems to be rather over priced - 5500. Would like to get some advice.

Thanks
    Ash

i drive an auto 2.0 , changed from manual, and very happy with it... so much more relaxed to drive. i know someone driving an auto corolla liftback, and its as slow as a snail.. they are always bitching about how slow it builds up speed..

I wouldnt buy an auto under 2L..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what_car wrote: »

I wouldnt buy an auto under 2L..

using cc as a cut off for anything is silly. There are loads of 2.0l cars on te road putting out 130-140bhp, there are also 1.4's putting out 140+. Whats the difference?

That said, my auto was a 2.5 :) it was , however the only engine available in auto in that particular car, and the smallest engine the car was available in was 2.0l which was underpowered for the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Stekelly wrote: »
    using cc as a cut off for anything is silly.

tell that to mr gormley!! :D:D

looking at cars out there that are auto, under 2L , eg the avensis 1.8
    4 speed auto...... drove one , it was ok, but only 4 gears? yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Hi, Audi A6 1.8 turbo Auto. Has to be the turbo version. Cheapish for 2000-2003

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tony Broke wrote: »
    I have never driven an automatic myself and dont realy intend to, but a friend of my fathers got a diesel Rover 75 a few months ago after driving manual for over 30 years and he loves it.Car is smooth and has plenty of power, they have bmw engines and you get a heck of a car.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Rover/75/Connoisseur-(/1223031/

You could probably get that for €6-6.5k. Now that is superb value for money alright!

Advertisement