Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to Grow! - BB Competition Log

• 09-10-2008 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

So here we go....

Stats : 220lbs
    6ft
    18years od

Goals : Gain 10-15lbs during bulk period.
    Be 220lbs conditioned by end of cutting period.
    Get a competition under my belt.

Timeframe :
    October - January : BULK
    January - March : CUT

Workout Split :
    Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Legs
    Wednesday - Biceps
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - Triceps (with cardio during cutting period)
    Saturday - Legs (with cardio during cutting period)
    Sunday - Back (with cardio during cutting period)

Workout Routines :
    CHEST
    Incline, 4 sets - 100kg, 100kg, 90kg, 90kg (8-12 rep range)
    Flat, 4 sets - 80kg,80kg, 80kg, 80kg (8-12 rep range)
    Decline, 4 sets - 80kg, 80kg, 80kg, 80kg (8-12 rep range)
    Flys, 4 sets - 22kg dumbells (8-10 rep range)
    Cable cross overs, 4 sets - (10-12 rep range)

LEGS
    Leg Press, 5 sets - 250kg (30 reps), 250kg (25 reps), 250kg (20 reps) 250kg (15 reps), 250kg (10 reps)
    Squats, 10 sets - 60kg (10 rep range)
    Calf Raises, 4 sets - 60kg (20 rep range)
    Machine 1, 3 sets - (10 rep range)
    Machine 2, 3 sets - (10 rep range)

BICEPS
    Seated barbell curls (outer grip), 3 sets - 40kg (20 reps), 40kg (15 reps), 40kg (5 reps)
    Seated Barbell curls (inner grip), 3 sets - 30kg (15 reps), 30kg (10 reps), 30kg (10 reps)
    21 Curls 2 sets - 30kg
    Concentration curls, 4 sets - 14kg dumbell

SHOULDERS
    Sitting Barbell Smith Press, 3 sets - 100kg (8 reps), 100kg, (6 reps) 90kg (8 reps)
    Standing Barbell Press, 4 sets - 60kg, 60kg, 50kg 50kg (8 reps)
    ^^^^^ done with slow delay as I lower the bar for maximum contraction
    Olympic bar upright rows, 4 sets - 60kg (12 reps)
    Sitting Side Raises, 4 sets - 12kg dumbells (12 reps)
    Front Raises, 3 sets - 10kg dumbells (10 reps)
    Shrugs, 4 sets - 50kg dumbells (15 reps)

TRICEPS
    Closegrip bench press, 4 sets - 100kg (12 reps), 100kg (10 reps), 100kg (8 reps), 100kg (5 reps)
    Skullcrushers, sitting upright behind neck, 4 sets - 50kg (10-12 rep range)
    Dips, 4 sets - 10-12 reps
    Bar Push downs, 3 sets - 12-15 reps
    Rope Push downs, 3 sets - 10 reps, slow
    seated push downs, 3 sets - 15-20 reps

BACK
    Barbell Rows, 4 sets - 100kg (10-12 reps)
    Widegrip pull ups, 4 sets - 6-10 rep range
    Lat Pull downs, 4 sets - 110kg (6-10 reps range)
    Machine 1, 4 sets
    Machine 2, 4 sets
    Hyper extensions, 4 sets - 25kg plate
    I decided to drop the deadlifts to have more energy for other lifts as I am not training for strength only for bodybuilding.

I'll update tomorrow as this has taken me ages.

Any questions, critique, comments, whatever feel free to leave them.
    (Please dont hold back on critique at the end of the day it is what will help me in the long run)

If you want any other additional info added tell me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If you're doing this comp natural then I'd say your volume is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

I hear what your saying but I found that I stopped getting DOMS when I did less volume and have noticed more growth on this routine than with heavier weight less volume. I think my body just became adapted to the heavy weight less volume and now its getting more of a shock. Ideally I'll change the routines around when I stop growing so will go back to high weight less volume when I feel the high volume isn't working as well anymore.

Yesterday - shoulders
    Sitting Barbell Smith Press, 3 sets - 100kg (8 reps), 100kg, (5 reps) 90kg (7 reps)
    Standing Barbell Press, 4 sets - 60kg, 60kg, 50kg 50kg (8 reps)
    ^^^^^ done with slow delay as I lower the bar for maximum contraction
    Olympic bar upright rows, 4 sets - 60kg (12 reps)
    Sitting Side Raises, 4 sets - 12kg dumbells (12 reps)
    Front Raises, 3 sets - 10kg dumbells (10 reps)
    Shrugs, 4 sets - 50kg dumbells (15-20 reps)

(Red is for when I drop reps, blue for when I increase)

Dropped a few Reps on sitting barbell smith press but not overly concerned as that tends to go up and down on me. Shrugs I increased by 5 reps for my first two sets I have always found with shrugs you can do more than you give yourself credit so think I will aim for 4 sets of 20 reps from now on rather than 15.

Have triceps today (bit silly doing them after working shoulders the day before??) I will update later tonight. Triceps is by far my favourite workout day though so look forward to it!

Tomorrow I'm meant to be working my legs but I worked them on Tuesday and today (Friday) I can still barely walk!! Honestly going up and down the stairs is a complete struggle I feel like my legs are going to collapse from under me at any moment. Obviously my legs weren't used to the strain I put them under on Tuesday but DOMS going on 3 days later?? Obviously a good sign! Might have to drop legs tomorrow unless they drastically recover tonight. Hopefully after awhile my legs will recover quicker as they get more used to the volume..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Did you do 100 reps on the leg press and on when squatting? That's kind of crazy man, no wonder you have 3 day doms. Perhaps you could do the leg press one day (say tris day) and the squat on leg day? I dunno I can't even comprehend what that sort of volume would feel like, I know you want your legs to grow, but too much of a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

SHOW US YOUR BOOBIES MATE! Pics, pls xxx.
    Not crap pics proper pics this time so we can see where you starting from.

Are you really shoulder pressing 100kg for reps, that's serious weight. What's your maxes?

Did you do 100 reps on the leg press and on when squatting? That's kind of crazy man, no wonder you have 3 day doms. Perhaps you could do the leg press one day (say tris day) and the squat on leg day? I dunno I can't even comprehend what that sort of volume would feel like, I know you want your legs to grow, but too much of a good thing?

Hey no I didn't do the 10 sets of squats on Tuesday because I only decided to implement them in yesterday so it was only 3 sets of squats on Tuesday after the legpress! From what I've heard massive volume on legs gets them to grow, I have done heavy low reps on legs since the beginning with little return but I seem to be growing a bit this way. I don't know why but very high volume seems to work on me??

• Advertisement

Not crap pics proper pics this time so we can see where you starting from.

Are you really shoulder pressing 100kg for reps, that's serious weight. What's your maxes?

Hey I posted pics on another thread in the main fitness forum search through my posts it was recent.

And yeah I'm shoulder pressing 100kg for reps though you must remember its on the smith machine so its probably easier.

Unfortunately I don't really max out anymore cause I dont see much point to it so don't know. Last time I maxed out was bench a good while back and got 145kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Grow up daveywavey08, seriously. Infracted.

10/10/2008 - Triceps

Closegrip bench press, 4 sets - 100kg (10 reps), 100kg (10 reps), 100kg (8 reps), 100kg (6 reps)
    Skullcrushers, sitting upright behind neck, 4 sets - 50kg (8-10 rep range)
    Dips, 4 sets - 12 reps
    Bar Push downs, 3 sets - 12-15 reps
    Rope Push downs, 3 sets - 10 reps, slow
    seated push downs, 3 sets - 20 reps

Closegrip benchpress was a bit of a head**** today, first set dropped 2 reps thought the rest of set was going to be a disaster but ended up doing o.k and even adding a rep on my last set so dont know what happened on the first set prob wasnt completely awake! I dropped 2-4 reps on skullcrushers but that was more to do with my shoulder hurting from yesterday. Happy with dips got 12 reps for all 4 sets with ease and then seated push downs 20 reps for all. I'm hoping to see huge strength gains as I have upped my calories by I think around 2500!

Legs are off tomorrow I literally can't walk so need to wait till they've recovered...at this rate I wont be able to work them on Tuesday!! :pac:

So I'm off tomorrow and debating whether I should go do some cardio or something even though its during a bulk??

Going to try not to drink till Wednesday...its hard being in college though.. very hard!

Hey no I didn't do the 10 sets of squats on Tuesday because I only decided to implement them in yesterday so it was only 3 sets of squats on Tuesday after the legpress! From what I've heard massive volume on legs gets them to grow, I have done heavy low reps on legs since the beginning with little return but I seem to be growing a bit this way. I don't know why but very high volume seems to work on me??

there's no doubt that high volume works, and should work for you, but if you are so sore that you can't train them again maybe its a bad thing? Or maybe you'll get used to it in a week or two. Where are you in college?

there's no doubt that high volume works, and should work for you, but if you are so sore that you can't train them again maybe its a bad thing? Or maybe you'll get used to it in a week or two.

Yeah I think your right. If after 2 weeks I am still unable train them twice then I am definitely going to try less volume but twice a week.

I swear though even though my legs are in agony they still feel rock solid and pumped 4 days on!
    but I still reckon i'd benefit more from working them twice a week

Anyways taking the day off today because cant work legs and don't see much point doing cardio during a bulk. Going to tank up on junk food tonight anyways and have told anyone whose rang that I refuse to go out on the piss

Where are you in college?
    I'm in DIT

• Advertisement

12/10/2008 - Back

Barbell Rows, 4 sets - 100kg (12 reps)
    Widegrip pull ups, 4 sets - 6-10 rep range
    Lat Pull downs, 4 sets - 110kg (10 reps)
    Machine 1, 4 sets
    Machine 2, 4 sets
    Hyper extensions, 4 sets - 25kg plate

I am considering upping the weight of my barbell rows to 110kg as I am getting 4 sets of 12 reps with ease. Don't feel I worked my back as well as I should of today as my muscles dont feel fatigued at all so possibly I have too little volume there? I took out deadlifts because I was told there not really needed for bodybuilding and only take up energy but I'm having second thoughts now as to whether I should throw them back in as today was far too easy.

Chest tomorrow I'm hoping to see an improvement here with the added calories.

Oh and legs still slightly hurt.....from last Tuesday! but I think (hope) they'll be ready in time for my leg session in 2 days time.

weight up 1kg.

13/10/2008 - Chest

Incline, 4 sets - 100kg, 100kg, 90kg, 90kg (8-12 rep range)
    Flat, 4 sets - 80kg,80kg, 80kg, 80kg (8-12 rep range)
    Decline, 4 sets - 80kg, 80kg, 80kg, 80kg (8-12 rep range)
    Flys, 4 sets - 22kg dumbells (8-10 rep range)
    Cable cross overs, 4 sets - (10-12 rep range)

Absolutely no changes here in lifts but I definitely felt I could of done a lot more wasn't even tired at the end of the routine so obviously the added calories are helping me recover quicker as such I am thinking of adding another exercise on chest day but not sure what? I was kind of thinking the exercise when you lean your back on the side of the bench and raise a dumbell from behind your head to your chest but whenever I used to do it I never really felt it working my chest...does anyone know what exercise I'm talking about and if its effective?

Weight the same (held onto the 1kg increase from yesterday)

Legs have recovered in time for tomorrow just about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Hey man,

Some savage lifts, very impressive. Do you train in Riverview?

agentgreen wrote: »
    Hey man,

Some savage lifts, very impressive. Do you train in Riverview?

Haha yeah I do you quessed that by my routine alone??

Haha yeah I do you quessed that by my routine alone??
    Haha, kinda, saw a big young lad using the smith machine for shoulder press and thought it was odd.

I get a lot of stick from my mates for using the smith machine but honestly nothing has made my shoulders grow like the smith machine has!

smith is handy if you aren't squatting in it imo. Have you had a look at alternative deadlifts, like snatch grip or rdl for instance? snatch grip is supposed to be a good mass builder. Also you could add some good mornings to back day if you wanted.

Plus the worst thing is you see very few lads in Riverview deviating off chest and biceps so you notice people doing compound lifts when they do.

I'd be happy out to press 100kg smith machine or not.

smith is handy if you aren't squatting in it imo. Have you had a look at alternative deadlifts, like snatch grip or rdl for instance? snatch grip is supposed to be a good mass builder. Also you could add some good mornings to back day if you wanted.

Hey,

how you do you do snatch grip and whats a good morning??

Definitely need to throw something else in on back day

agentgreen wrote: »
    Plus the worst thing is you see very few lads in Riverview deviating off chest and biceps so you notice people doing compound lifts when they do.

Yeah very true I think I can count on one hand the number of people who would regularly do compound lifts

I'd be happy out to press 100kg smith machine or not.

Thanks man.

• Advertisement

Good mornings are more hamstring based.

Yeh I do the compound lifts in there alright, I just do them badly at a ****e enough weight.

Hey,

how you do you do snatch grip and whats a good morning??

Definitely need to throw something else in on back day

Snatch grip- http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_Eewz0DII see where his hands are? Like the snatch oly lift, although without the throwing it over your head part.

good mornings- http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=hn4NM5bi4Mo& agentgreen is right though they are more of a hamstring exercise. You can do them seated too though which puts more emphasis on the back.

Thanks for the info, those snatch grip deadlifts look good so think I might incoperate them into my next back routine.

14/10/2008 - Legs

Leg Press, 5 sets - 250kg (30 reps), 250kg (25 reps), 250kg (20 reps) 250kg (15 reps), 250kg (10 reps)
    Squats, 5 sets - 60kg (10 rep range)
    Calf Raises, 4 sets - 60kg (20 rep range)
    Machine 1, 3 sets - (12 rep range)
    Machine 2, 3 sets - (12 rep range)

Going to make this quick as I'm about to hit the hay...
    Could only get through 5 sets of the squats because my legs are still adjusting to the new higher volume routine but overall it was a good workout and managed to squeeze out two extra reps for every set on the machine. I am considering increasing my leg press by 10kg for next leg session to make things a bit more difficult.

Weight down 2kg for some reason..

15/10/2008 - Biceps

Seated barbell curls (outer grip), 3 sets - 40kg (20 reps), 40kg (15 reps), 40kg (5 reps)
    Seated Barbell curls (inner grip), 3 sets - 30kg (15 reps), 30kg (10 reps), 30kg (10 reps)
    21 Curls 2 sets - 30kg
    Concentration curls, 4 sets - 14kg dumbell

No changes to report on biceps probably could have pushed out a few extra reps each set but my head wasn't really in it today.

Weight up 2kg (back to weight I was on Monday) don't know what happened yesterday

O.K so just an update.

I've got an ex-semi pro helping me out now, he won Irish titles and came 7th in Mr.Universe. Basically he wants me to rest until Monday and then start a whole new routine and diet. Hes given me his guarantee that I'll win it if I do exactly what he says so thats promising though I'm going to be realistic and not get my hopes up. I'll update you on Monday or Tuesday with my new diet and routines.

So long time no update sorry about that!

New diet is as follows :

Meal 1
    12 egg whites
    60g Oats
    1 pint of OJ

Meal 2
    50g Whey
    60g Oats
    1 pint of Milk
    Banana

Meal 3
    2 Chicken Fillets
    8 slices of brown bread
    1 pint of Milk

Meal 4

steak
    60g Sweet Potato
    1 pint of milk

PWO Meal

50g Whey
    2 Gatorades

Meal 5

Steak
    60g Sweet Potato
    1 pint of Milk

Meal 6
    6 eggs
    30g almond nuts
    1 pint of milk

Meal 7
    50g Casein whey
    30g almond nuts

It's been going well, already up a few kg and your man reckons I will get up to 17stone for sometime around mid January.

Unfortunately I don't think he wants me giving out the new workout routine but its damn tough nearly passed out and I know this sounds weird so soon but I can definitely feel myself growing.

So I am just over 16 stone now nearing 16.5 but honestly it doesn't look like it. Can't see where this extra weight is going? I think my back is a good bit thicker so maybe thats where? I don't know really!

New programme is killing me, its more sets more reps so I look like a girl lifting towards the end of the session kind of funny!

Just to give you taster without giving away too much here are my first 3 exercises of 7 on leg day

Leg Raises - 3 sets - 30/25/20
    Squats - 7 sets - 20/15/12/10/10/8/6
    Leg Press - 4 sets - 30/25/20/15
    ........ it goes on

I feel like collapsing at the end but it seems to be working

Advertisement