Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Dublin Irish fighters?

• 09-10-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Ok we all know that the UFC will be in Dublin in January.
    Rumour has it that four Irish fighters will be on the card.

So who do you think could cut it on the card if the call comes in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It is logical to have local fighters on the undercard to increase local interest. I would do a fight with two Irish against each other, that way we have an Irish winner. The other 2 fighters should have at least one Ireland vs Britain clash, that'll get the atmosphere going. The last Irish fighter should fight one of the UFC's European fighters, either Alessio Sakara, Per Eklund or Samy Schiavo. That is what I'd do, as for the Irish fighters, I dont know enough about the local scene to say who is worthy of a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Well i think we can take it as a done deal that colin robinson(think thats him) will be fighting as he already fought in the ufc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I would love to see John Kavanagh versus Leigh Remedios II.

Who wouldn't? Well? Well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Owen Roddy!!That would be class and he fought his last fight at lightweight and walks around lightweight.Tim Murphy is another good name and maybe Tom egan or Clive Staunton.

In hope they talk to some Republic fighters rather than go to the EFR gym again(no offence).

OWEN RODDY UFC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMP 2009!!(hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

Two guys I think should be there are Greg Loughran and Aidan Marron....Emmet mc Nally maybe,and either Tom Egan...or Neil Seery..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In hope they talk to some Republic fighters rather than go to the EFR gym again(no offence).

I don't care what county they go to. Irish fighters are Irish fighters. Whatever gym produces the best fighters is good enough for me.

As far as Owen Roddy and Tim Murphy goes - Both of them are cracking fighters. I'm just concerned about how big they are at the moment in comparison to the American guys who cut a stone weight before fight-time. They americans will weigh 170-175 for lightweight, while Owen or Tim would be probably 160 max. But regardless, I think it would be a good experience for them either way. I have no doubt we're going to see a Dub on the card. Worry not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

weemate wrote: »
    Two guys I think should be there are Greg Loughran and Aidan Marron....Emmet mc Nally maybe,and either Tom Egan...or Neil Seery..

UFC's lightest weight is LW peter, Neil would need to add 10kg to fight on this :D

theres loadsa lads who could be on this, and as mentioned above about people who have fought on UFC shows before i dont think they should fight on them just because they have before...hopefully there will be fresh faces on the show....
    so many names come to mind, Kevin Mcalonan, Aidan Maron, Martin Begley, Alan Hannon, Tom Egan, Roddy, and im sure plenty more lads will be hoping they get the phone call too....hopefully we dont have to wait too long to find out who the 4 lads are though..

as regards and irish lad fighting the likes of Sakara or Sammy....who in this country could beat either one, no offence to any of the lads in Ireland but they are beast....
    i like the Ireland vs UK and Ireland vs Ireland ideas though.

What about Gunni? He'd be a good candidate to get a fight due to his connections?

dlofnep wrote: »
    What about Gunni? He'd be a good candidate to get a fight due to his connections?

i had originally wrote Gunni but due to him not being irish i took him off, but either way he'd be a huge fan favourite against anybody!

Ah yeah, I know he's not Irish - But he's trained here and I think it would be only fair that he got a shot. He's a very good fighter.

• Advertisement

i know hes a good fighter, hes very good. But only reason i didnt write him was because the title had Irish Fighters.....I hope he does get the shout for the show tbh...hes a good lad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Ah yeah, I know he's not Irish - But he's trained here and I think it would be only fair that he got a shot. He's a very good fighter.

Nogeira trained here a few years ago a couple of us got a chance to roll with him, so by the same token, we already have an "Irish" fighter in the UFC.

If Gunni were to make it then I imagine he would fight out of Mjolnir or SBG, with John in his corner he would be easier to claim as "Irish" than most :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I don't care what county they go to. Irish fighters are Irish fighters. Whatever gym produces the best fighters is good enough for me.

I didnt mean it because of the country,its because Im more familiar with the fighters down here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

With Abdul Mohammed signing for the UFC recently ive got a feeling that one of the Irish fighters will be fighting him. Since he is a lightweight id say it leans towards Greg or Aiden. They are AFAIK the most experienced fighters in the country and there records are pretty good too.
    Id also like to see Tom Egan get a chance. I really like Tom as a fighter. He has quick strong hands and has a very direct aggressive style. The UFC want exciting fights and Tom could give this.

Also i think that the news they will be here in Jan will make the fighters train even harder for any shows before the end of the year. The chance that a few good results could get you noticed will spur the lads on even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Abdul and Greg would be great. It didn't happen before so it would be ideal.

Roper wrote: »
    Abdul and Greg would be great. It didn't happen before so it would be ideal.

Yeah thats why i feel that way. Its kinda like Karma. Or something.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

With Abdul Mohammed signing for the UFC recently

Already posted in the UFC Dublin thread, but here's what f4wonline.com said yesterday:
    --UFC has informed us stories of Abdul Mohamed coming to UFC at this point are incorrect. He is not signed, he is not looking to be signed, and he is not on the January show in Dublin.

Dave Meltzer, who wrote that, is in regular contact with the likes of Dana, Joe Silva and Marc Ratner, so he's pretty damn reliable

Well strike me down............
    There you go.
    Were just gonna have to wait and see.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Would love to see Ryan Roddy on the big stage. I think he's our best chance of having an MMA star from Ireland.
    "Ultimate fighter UK-v-US" better have some of the guys from the EFR camp.

It'll be a completely Irish show anyway cause every fighter will claim to have Irish granny's.

Nogeira trained here a few years ago a couple of us got a chance to roll with him, so by the same token, we already have an "Irish" fighter in the UFC.

If Gunni were to make it then I imagine he would fight out of Mjolnir or SBG, with John in his corner he would be easier to claim as "Irish" than most :)

I'm not saying that he would be passed off as an Irish fighter. What I'm saying is that because it's in Ireland, JK might be able to get him a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I think Greg Loughran should definitely be on the show. He'd give a good a deal of the UFC lightweights a great fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Maybe a Greg and Alan Hannon rematch in the UFC?? would be a cracker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 young 1

Think Kevin Mcalonan is 1 of most excitng and explosive fighter's in the uk at the min and think he should definately be 1 of Irelands fighters for the up and coming UFC 93 in dublin,current british champion and the way he beat Chris Stringer on the ultimate conflict show in nerwy surely puts him near top of the list for gettin picked,Abdul and Bam Bam would be a fight alot of ppl would want to see??

young 1 wrote: »
    Think Kevin Mcalonan is 1 of most excitng and explosive fighter's in the uk at the min and think he should definately be 1 of Irelands fighters for the up and coming UFC 93 in dublin,current british champion and the way he beat Chris Stringer on the ultimate conflict show in nerwy surely puts him near top of the list for gettin picked,Abdul and Bam Bam would be a fight alot of ppl would want to see??

Kevin is a cracking fighter and I am one of his biggest fans, but if a featherweight is going to get a shot, Owen Roddy beat Kevin in the first round pretty convincingly, so he should probably get the nod sooner. Beating Chris, even as impressively as he did, doesn't really put him on top of any list given that a other Irish featherweights have wins over Chris as well.

Kevin is a cracking fighter and I am one of his biggest fans, but if a featherweight is going to get a shot, Owen Roddy beat Kevin in the first round pretty convincingly, so he should probably get the nod sooner. Beating Chris, even as impressively as he did, doesn't really put him on top of any list given that a other Irish featherweights have wins over Chris as well.

In short Owen Roddy FTW.

I think Kevin has moved back to Lightweight.
    The fourman he was involved in in Prague was a LW Tourney and his match with Stringer was at LW.
    I agree that Kevin is an exciting fighter but if a LW gets picked for the UFC in Dublin i would say Kevin would be down the list.

In short Owen Roddy FTW.

*concurs*

Then I can say I got kicked around by a UFC fighter!

But also, Owen is very deserving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

The problem with Irish fighters is simply experience. We are light years behind the Americans in MMA. While we (the Irish) are still founding clubs and getting promotions off the ground, the Americans have years of tried and tested gyms behind them and clearly one main promotion prevailing with the best there country and the world has to offer, could any of our lads ever hope to walkaway with a 'W'? There is no doubt that we have produced some fine fighters who are entertaining, dedicated and more then capable of holding there own against each other or other European fighters we see over here (some of lesser stuff then the Americans IMO) but is there really a hope in hell of them holding there own in the UFC?
    I think the idea of Irish on Irish does level the playing ground somewhat but we could see that on a home grown promotion for less and you'd be supporting our own!
    Any who, I'd like to see Tom Egan if i had to choose, That lad seems to have it all going on. Dedication, solid BJJ and a good striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Any who, I'd like to see Tom Egan if i had to choose, That lad seems to have it all going on. Dedication, solid BJJ and a good striker.

I'd like to see Tom Egan on the show alright, entertaining and a genuinely good fighter, apart from that there's no 1 in particular i'd be too pushed at seen there, although i would be happy for some irish lads to get a chance and would be giving them my full support. most of my favourite fighters are below the ufc minimum weight division..maybe 2 all irish fights with top irish fighters would provide both entertainment and boost irish mma at the same time!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I met Dana White last friday in Birmingham, asked him which Irish fighters were going to be on the card, he said he didn't know, seemed genuine, then again he could have been fobbing me off. Didn't get the chance to ask him how many fighters there were gonna be from Ireland, but I suppose there must be a few if he said I don't know as opposed to there's not gonna be any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭rossedge

like to see tom on the card for the event, say theres a good few who would love the change to get onto that card!

I do think it will be more Irish v's Irish and not US or Europe.

+ for Tom. He's a very nice guy and a great fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

yeah i'll throw in my hat for Tom Egan 2. Great fighter and all around cool guy to hang out with. He def has the dedication and heart to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

i was down in newbridge a few weeks back and ppl were telling me all about this young slick mma fighter called tom! he's certainly got the fanbase anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Surely Tom Haddock has to be in the running for a spot on the card. He's the most experienced fighter in the south by a long way and he fights for the EFR team who have already had fighters in the UFC. He's also fought everyone in Ireland worth fighting and has already got a lot of international experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

i was down in newbridge a few weeks back and ppl were telling me all about this young slick mma fighter called tom! he's certainly got the fanbase anyway.

yup toms got the whole town behind him + 15000 for tom lol

Advertisement