Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A.T.M left me short.

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Right here's what happened, I went to withdraw some cash from the A.T.M it was one of those stand alone ones in centra/spar. I went through the usual steps card in, PIN, Amount required, request receipt, I hit the E60 button and low and behold out comes E40, when the receipt pops out it confirms that I "withdrew E60". So I asked the girl in the shop(knowing the answer) could she help me and she told me "it's nothing to do with them" understandable.
    On the receipt it states that it is a BOI 365 ATM (who my account is with).
    So I went to my branch explained and filled out the ATM query form, although I don't have much faith in BOI customer service. I know it's only a score but it's my score and with the Govt getting ready to give it to us all big time next week a cant let this go that easy.

So what do the masses think my chances are of getting MY money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 curranjames

They will be able to track it.. you will get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Should have a good chance if the ATM is 20 euro over when they balance it. Or if it has happened a number of users of this particular ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kablam

Cheers Lad's

I was thinking the same thing about when they balance the books on that machine it will become obvious i was left short, but you know good old BOI:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

When the machine is next balanced, it'll be over by €20 (for your particular withdrawal) so it will be traceable. It's the same if the machine gives you out more money than it deducts from your account balance - the bank will eventually catch up with you and the full amount gets deducted from your balance! :)

BOI do take these things kind of seriously btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They will be able to track it.. you will get your money back.

Yep, happened to me a while back. I'm with BOI, and used an AIB ATM that left me €20 short. Rang BOI, they put the claim in with AIB and I got the cash back about a week later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It happened me twice. The shop balances the machine each evening and reports the outage to the bank. Contact your bank and you'll be credited the €20. It's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Yes, just make sure you contact BOI and let them know.. Had a similar issue with a machine, it crashed mid way through a 200 Euro transaction.. Didnt notice until a week or so later when the wife checked the statement and we got billed for 2 x 200 transactions (failed one and the retry which worked). We had to fill in a form at our local branch, but the money was refunded within a week with no hassle or chasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This has happened to me a couple of times (seems to be a problem with those stand-alone machines). Once you have the form filled out, it'll be no problem to get the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This has happened to me a couple of times (seems to be a problem with those stand-alone machines). Once you have the form filled out, it'll be no problem to get the money back.

The machines are filled by the shops and contain old notes from the shop. Bank ATMS are generally provided with newer flatter easier to dispense notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This iss just a new method that the banks will use to recoup their substancial share losses. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

You'll get it back. It happened me Dec '06 in a shop. Pressed for E100, 50 came out (but no receipt). Thought I'd never get it back! Rang BOI and told them. About 8 weeks later, I was pretty p1ssed that I never heard back so I rang them again. Turns out the money had been put back into my account within 3 weeks, they just didnt tell me!
    Don't worry, just keep an eye on your account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

They have ways to track if they overpay you, so they can for sure pay you if they underpay you, just don't expect them to be rigorous or as hasty about it as if they overpaid you!

Advertisement