Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need advice Re:Digiweb please

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Please take the time to read this and give me your opinion on it and i'm sorry for the long post.
    I have had the 6meg metro package for over 2yrs.
    I'm on the 3rock mast.

First problem,when its windy i get alot of packet loss as the branches of a group of trees near me seem to block my line of sight briefly (This is what there service engineer said).When its not windy there is no problem with latency at all.This issue is annoying but not what i'm concerned about as the tree are being cut down soon by the council.(i use the words soon and council with a pinch of salt).

My new and main problem is in the last month my speeds get slower as the day goes on.From about 2am to 12.30pm its fine but after that the speeds are poor and very errattic.During 2am to 12.30pm my speeds are perfect at just below the 6meg up and about 485Kbps down and they stay stable.
    I mailed support about this and got this reply.....

"We have checked your connection and have made some adjustments which should have resolved the issue. Could you please check your connection again for any improvement and let us know if you continue to experience problems.If you are still experiencing slow speeds on your connection please check that you are connected directly by cable to the Digiweb modem/router with your PC (to rule out issues with any wireless network in your home) and ensure there are no programs running in the background that may be utilising your internet connection."
    They also asked for screenshots from speedtest.digiweb.ie

I relpied to them with results which where at 3pm 2.5megs, 6pm 1.75megs and 9pm 1.5 megs.(uploads drop also)

I got this nice reply.....
    "The change in speeds throughout the day are due to contention on the network.At off-peak times speeds will be hugely increased as the network gets less busy."

I'm getting lees than a meg D/l as i type.
    i'm not wireless and have tried another to test speeds and got same results.

Ok,are these acceptable drops in speeds?
    I never had issues with contention before.

Do you think i'm just being fobbed off?
    I do.

What is my best course of action?

Thanks again for having the patience to read this and put up with my bad grammer.
    Game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its called contention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its called contention
    Thanks but i wanted to know where the speeds i get with contention acceptable?
    I believe mine is 40:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd say so, 40:1 is quite high contention.

According to uchoose.ie 6meg Metro contention is 20:1.
    I find it hard to believe that the speeds have dropped from near perfect to this so suddenly.
    I doubt they just oversold in my area overnight as it was not a gradual drop in speeds.
    Also alot of the time during "peak times" i'm getting 200-300Kbps Down and 200 kbps up.Imo this cannot be accepted as fair speeds.Those speeds are approx 5% of my "off peak" download speeds.

So i will ask again what is the worst speed i should get if you allow for the 20:1 contention?
    I want to maill support again but i would like to have some more facts first.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

game4it70 wrote: »
    Also alot of the time during "peak times" i'm getting 200-300Kbps Down and 200 kbps up.Imo this cannot be accepted as fair speeds.Those speeds are approx 5% of my "off peak" download speeds.

So i will ask again what is the worst speed i should get if you allow for the 20:1 contention?
    A contention ratio of 20:1 on 6Mbps:
    6000/20 = 300Kbps worst case, theoretically.
    "Real world" situation will be slower still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

game4it70 wrote: »
    I want to maill support again but i would like to have some more facts first.

Thanks again.

Simple math will dictate that the MINIMUM theoretical speed you should get [purely based on maximum contention]

6Mb divided by 20 = 307Kbps ~ [30KBps ~]

Kensington wrote: »
    A contention ratio of 20:1 on 6Mbps:
    6000/20 = 300Kbps worst case, theoretically.
    "Real world" situation will be slower still.
    ok thanks i was thinking that but wanted to be sure:mad:

So it looks like i will have to find anther Isp which is not going to be easy as i've no phoneline and i've read all the complaints about speeds and pings with all the other Isp's.
    Looks like i wont be gaming anytime soon:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's more likely there is a problem with your signal if it ever gets to 300kbps. Contact in that case support.

1.5Mbps worst case on a 6Mbps package is a "real" contention of 4:1

Most domestic Broadband is engineered at 20:1 to 48:1. Some cheap satellite services are over 1000:1 contention.

Contention is meaningless on Mobile Internet such as EDGE/3G/HSDPA as unlike fixed wireless/cable/DSL which has large bandwdith at head end/mast/cable / exchange (up to 200Mbps compared the total for all usersof 3.6Mbps or 7.2Mbps for some Mobile sectors) only maybe 25 to 50 users can actually connect. The "proper" Broadband allows everyone always to connect.

Real world is never as bad as the engineered contention of 20:1 or 48:1 on real broadband systems such as Metro, Fixed Wireless, DSL and Cable.

Advertisement