Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mods

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi mods, zaph, thaedydal and co. You may think this very strange in this economic climate but Im looking for ideas! I have a 1 bed apartment which is empty at the moment. I dont want a long term tenant. Various family have been living there to give them a leg up! Any suggestions will be considered. Ive thought of offering it to Focus clients for a nominal rent. Ive thought of offering it to country people for shopping trips to Dublin or country people who may be travelling up for a concert. I got it through blood sweat and tears so I dont need people to tell me how lucky or rich I am! And Im paying a mortgage on it, but I would like it to be used for something useful, not profit.I dont need it to be occuppied all the time,but its a shame its empty. What would you do if you where me?:confused: Im just asking here cos Im familiar with this forum. Should I be moved to Dublin City?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a very generous thing you're proposing and I applaud you for it. Obviously it's an unusual situation, so off the top of my head the best I can come up with off the top of my head is posting something in the Accommodation &Property forum and see what they can suggest. If I can do any better than that I'll let you know.

Btw, Thaed isn't a mod here, but don't tell her that. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That's an unusual question alright. Perhaps Fingal Co. Co. might rent if from you to house people temporarily. you could also try offering it to charity organisations, like women's refuges, 'Saoirse' for example, who could use a place for short periods for crisis accomodation.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

deswalsh wrote: »
    You could also try offering it to charity organisations, like women's refuges, 'Saoirse' for example, who could use a place for short periods for crisis accomodation.
    Best of luck with it.

Those are excellent suggest imho.

Zaph wrote: »
    Btw, Thaed isn't a mod here, but don't tell her that. :D

Why have a dog and ba.....

I mean no I'm not never was and sure why would I want to be when we have two such wonderful and able gentlemen :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Those are excellent suggest imho.

Why have a dog and ba.....

I mean no I'm not never was and sure why would I want to be when we have two such wonderful and able gentlemen :)

:o

By the way OP, another (less altruistic) option is to rent it out for tourists - short term rentals only, keep the price high to keep the riff-riff away!. Probably not a great profit maker but at least your place is occupied.
    You could post if on somewhere like this, a site I've used before to find rental apartments and found great.
    You could also use it for a house swap - someone from abroad comes to stay in the apartment and you get to stay in their place in the sun. Great for a cheap holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Thanks for all the ideas people,youve given me food for thought. Sorry for the "mod" mistake;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

deswalsh wrote: »
    :o

By the way OP, another (less altruistic) option is to rent it out for tourists - short term rentals only, keep the price high to keep the riff-riff away!. Probably not a great profit maker but at least your place is occupied.
    You could post if on somewhere like this, a site I've used before to find rental apartments and found great.
    You could also use it for a house swap - someone from abroad comes to stay in the apartment and you get to stay in their place in the sun. Great for a cheap holiday.
    Good site deswalsh,Ive added it to my favourites list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think the womens refuge would be a great way to go. My mother recently seperated and had to leave her home which her husband had owned previous to them meeting. With an 11yr old to look after she had to find somewhere to live, she went to the housing dep who told her that the only way they would house her was if she was homeless as her name was on the marital house. In other words she could either find a house to rent and be sone broke or go to the streets and into a refuge for god knows how long so they would give her somewhere safe....

Obviously she rented, is stone broke and getting as much overtime as poss but this does actually happen and I dont think people realise how in need some others are. Had something like this been on offer at the time she could have said claimed homelessness and had a safe roof whilst waiting housing. I am sure there are many many more in her position also so bear it in mind whilst you are trying to find a solution.

These rules etc can be very frustrating. Fair play to you for considering to use it for the benefit of others.

Advertisement