Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance for non-standard construction (45% flat roof)

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm having difficulty getting a few quotes for my house insurance. My house is only 50 m2 and part of this a flat roof extension which makes up about 45% of the overall area. Most insurance companies won't quote if in excess of 30 % is of non-standard construction i.e. a flat roof.

The only quote I can get is Allianz. I've tried a few brokers and they've been no help. Can anybody recommend a broker or insurer who would give me a quote?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I am in the same boat. Have a very large extension which doubles the size of the house on the ground floor, but as a result I see most online insurance forms don't take accept anything more than 15%-20% roof area.

MODS: Could you move this is to Accom and Property? It might get a better response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CorkSat

Hi Guys,

If your flat roof is covered in poured Asphalt (The stuff they melt in a truck and pour over the roof) rather than torch on felt then it can be considered standard construction.

I can't remember exactly which insurance company said this but it might have been
    123.ie

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Thanks CorkSat, being honest I have no idea.

My quote with 123.ie has just doubled to €700 due to the flat roof! And they are only offering that because I am repeat business, otherwise they wouldn't :eek:

If any one else knows some where that is likely to insure me please let me know! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CorkSat

If you flat roof is covered in torch on felt there will be seams where one roll overlaps the nexts. Normall y the seams will be about a 1-1.5 meters apart.

If its poured asphalt its just one continous layer. see http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081123055330AAsHxEs for a description.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Try hickey clarke and langan brokers in donegal. I have a flat roof 35% and have house insured for less than EUR300. think it's hcl.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Try Kidd Insurances in Dublin. www.kiddinsurances.ie

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124300
    *Thread bumping/ Resurrecting Old Threads
    Don't drag up an old thread to post something (and by old, we mean anything that hasn't had a post in a month or so), and don't bump your own threads just to get attention. The only exception to this is if an OP comes back to post an update on a situation. Anything else will be locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement