Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick tyre Question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,667 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like a good price for the G26. Eiretyres have them too but they are more expensive. See here. Apparantly they are pretty decent tyres, but sh1te in the snow, but that probably doesn't concern you :)

And yes, I would put the new ones on the driven wheels and put the used ones on the front wheels, provided they're the same make / model and have similar wear on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hmm, looks like this is the only thread with mention of tyreshop.ie, they also have a gmail email address. Wonder are they ok?

Can you recommend a tyre that would be just as good and also good in the snow Unkel or do you reckon that's as good as I'll get and it wont make any difference? As far as I know, the two newer ones on the van are indeed the same make :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,667 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cormie wrote: »
    Can you recommend a tyre that would be just as good and also good in the snow Unkel

I'm afraid you'll have to switch off your lazy mode (just this once, please! :D) and do some research yourself. Google's your friend and all that :p

Haha :o ah sure I might just risk it and go with them! probably not much else available for transits in Ireland anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

malahide tyres in swords are good -give them a bell

• Advertisement

Bit far away from Dun Laoghaire unless they have super cormie attracting deals :D

What's the going rate for fitting tyres and in peoples experiences, to fitters frown upon people bringing their own?

Right I've been googling for the past hour and a half and it seems Michellin Agilis 81's are highly recommended for a Ford Transit, problem is, I can't find them anywhere on Google for Ireland. They apparantly save on fuel and last long so I wouldn't mind paying the extra for them. Don't suppose anyone would know where to get them? Searched the forums here and seen McCanns in Coolmine have been recommended a few times so I'll give them a shout soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Put the new ones on the REAR and the old ones on the FRONT. If you dont trust me trust Michelin.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-4x4-van/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html

Its a myth that you put the new ones on the "driven" wheels.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Morning Cormie,

PM Sent with details of some marginally worn van tyres I've just had taken off brand new vans.

Mr.David wrote: »
    Put the new ones on the REAR and the old ones on the FRONT. If you dont trust me trust Michelin.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-4x4-van/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html

Its a myth that you put the new ones on the "driven" wheels.:)

Cool thanks!

Reading your PM now ROR!

• Advertisement

Sheesh, found a crowd who stock the Michelin Agilis anyway, range from €185 to €205 each:eek:

He asked about pressure, that there's 116 and 113R and all this kind of thing, one was for camping. I got a bit confused on the phone but how can I tell which is mine if you can't tell from the 215/75/R16C bit?

Was onto:

DISCOUNT TYRE & AUTO SERVICES
    "UNIT 2, ROSEMOUNT IND EST"
    IRL - DUBLIN
    Tel: 811 9027
    Site: http://www.dtasvalue.com

Just there and they have them at €168 inc fitting.

Everyone I've rang up has said they have cheaper ones and that "they're all the same really".

Am I fussing over this too much and shoul I just go and get a pair of hancook or dunlops fitted for about €120 each?

Think I might just go for the ones for €168, they are way more expensive everywhere else, even online they are about the same so probably a good deal and they seem to get good reviews.

Does anyone know about the 113/116 bit though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does anyone know about the 113/116 bit though?

That's the load index for single tyres / twin tyres , just not 100% sure which figure is which now.

You definetly don't need the "Camping" tyres anyway. Those have a specially strengthened sidewall so they don't get damaged when parked up for long times in the same spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 buer25

I just had to get a new back tyre this morn - only cost me €60 but still pain in the ****.

thanks, yeah the guy said something about there being different types, 113's, 116's and 108's or something like that. Again, he said "ah they're all the same" but I'd like to know I'm definitely getting the right ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The load index is a numerical code that corresponds to the maximum weight a tyre can support.

A tyre's load multiplied by 2 must cover the gross single axle load of your vehicle.

To determine your load index, locate the number on the sidewall of one of your tyres and compare it with the load index table.

http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/load-and-speed-indexes-advice.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've just checked a 3.5Ton MWB Sprinter we've got in the garage. It's on Goodyear 235/65/16c tyres. It's also got 115/113 on the tyre just a bit further around from the size - I presume that's the load rating.

Anything like that on your tyres?

Jeez, after all that, turns out the good tyres I have on the van are actually Michelin Agilis 81 themselves! They are the 113/111 ones so I think I'll just get another 2 of them and I'll have 4 of the same and put the good ones at the front :)

When I bought the van I said to the seller the two tyres are a bit worn so he put the Michelins on, that was nice of him, most expensive ones he could have used :D

Was onto:

DISCOUNT TYRE & AUTO SERVICES
    "UNIT 2, ROSEMOUNT IND EST"
    IRL - DUBLIN
    Tel: 811 9027
    Site: http://www.dtasvalue.com

Just there and they have them at €168 inc fitting.

Just rang these back and asked them to order them in for me, it'll take 48 hours so should get them fitted soon. €168 inc fitting, balancing and vat. Good bit cheaper than anywhere else I looked. Tyreshop.ie didn't have them in stock and quoted €185 delivered (but then I'd have to go pay to get them fitted). That said, tyreshop did look pretty cheap for the ones on their website.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Just one thing, the ones I'm getting are 116 as opposed to my 113/111's, the guy said the load bearing doesn't make a difference as long as the speed rating is the same and as long as the load difference isn't too much it's fine. It'll be paired with identicals per axle anyway.

• Advertisement

Got these fitted yesterday in Discount Tyre and Auto Services but my oh my they took forever! Arrived at about 15:15, said what I needed done, gave in keys, asked how long it would take, she said it'll be going straight in so I sat down, then at 15:29 I rang a warehouse in the same business park where I had to pick up a sideboard for my friend, they said they close at 16:30, no problem, plenty of time I thought.

Come about 15:50 I was getting pretty impatient so asked what the story was and she said "oh sorry I'll get them to take it in now". Took another 10 minutes or so before somebody got in my van. I could see them working on it and at 14:20 I was getting a bit worried so asked again is it nearly ready and she said a few more minutes, it wasn't until (as the receipt states) 16:28:57 :eek: That I got my keys, so I legged it to the van and sped around trying to find this warehouse, luckily I found it first time and they were still there but ffs, over 70 minutes to fit 2 new tyres!

When I rang up asking for the price of the tyres, I was told €168 including fitting and balancing so I thought they threw that in for free when you bought new tyres but it's only now when I looked at the receipt I saw I was charged €15.40 for this and then €4.60 to dispose of the 2 old tyres. Had I seen this and had the time, I definitely would have tried to get some kind of discount.

I read on their golden pages reviews someone was "in and out in half an hour" with 4 new tyres fitted, so for 2 I was thinking 20 mins and then 10 to get the sideboard. I was planning on going to a mechanic after too but hadn't time at that stage. Had I been told there'd be a while to wait I could have nipped around and got the sideboard while being on the waiting list and wouldn't have had a problem waiting for even 2 hours after if that's how busy it was, but I was told "it'll be going in now" and it's just lucky the chaps in the warehouse were still there overtime when I got there.

So is 70 minutes for 2 tyres taking the piss or is it standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cgetcher

...oops sorry mistake wrong thread... no pun intneded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

sick&tired wrote: »
    Be very careful about reading positive reviews on this website.
    I know what I'm talking about.
    you should copy and paste your last post into the advertisers review section on the site, and post a genuine review on the website.
    see how long it lasts.

Am I missing something?? :confused:

think I am too?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 treatedpoorly

Quote "I read on the goldenpages reviews someone was in and out in 20 mins..."

another "review" states " "they had every brand of tyre available......"
    now even for someone not in the know that review should appear slightly suspicious...no?

you had a bad experience. you didn't review this tyre business, yet someone who got their tyres done took the trouble to log in and leave this very marketing speak review?

Advertiser pays goldenpages €€€€ to appear high on list.
    "customer" leaves good review.
    advertiser makes money, keeps paying goldenpages.
    customer leaves bad review.
    advertiser contacts goldenpages, bad review taken down
    for fear of losing customers €€€€.

Winners= dishonest advertiser
    Winners=dishonest goldenpages
    losers=honest advertisers
    losers=honest customers i.e. YOU.

I speak the truth. That I promise you.

Arghhh, so I fluffed up one of the new tyres I got and I rang them back to order in another one and they said it'd be here this morning and they'd ring me, come mid day, no call so I rang them and they said they wouldn't be here till tomorrow morning after I kept time aside today to sort it out and I have stuff on tomorrow :mad:

yes I should have learned, but I needed the new tyre asap and they were the first I could think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Thanks for the suggestion but I want to stick with the Agiles 81's since the other 3 on the van are them too, I've read good things about them and if it wasn't for the poor service of Discount, I wouldn't have resurrected the thread ;)

Advertisement