Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icelandic terrorists?

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭

So Britain have used anti terror laws against Iceland to freeze assets until britain gets their money back, I dont know whether I should be laughing or crying but my jaw dropped when I heard this.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

silverharp wrote: »
    So Britain have used anti terror laws against Iceland to freeze assets until britain gets their money back, I dont know whether I should be laughing or crying but my jaw dropped when I heard this.

If ireland had lost all that money id applaud our goverment if they took that action

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Inevitable that laws like this would be abused like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Link? Elaboration? I have not heard of this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Iceland sells it debts to foreign banks to dig itself out of financially tough times two decades ago and later on while its banks are granting even more high-end loans to citizens and now that the poop has hit the fan everywhere, they won't do anything about it?
    Sorry but why is this so funny to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

I know this is probably a very Naive view on things but I get a growing sense that Brown will only criticise /slam/abuse/condemn the smaller nations. First Ireland when the Irish Government put in place the plan to protect its nations savings (I don't remember any comments about Germany or France) and now Iceland who were told by the English Government to Invest all that Money into Icelandic Banks. I know there is a lot of Money involved in this but a failing Nation like Iceland should but helped and not kicked while they are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

JWAD wrote: »
    Iceland sells it debts to foreign banks to dig itself out of financially tough times two decades ago and later on while its banks are granting even more high-end loans to citizens and now that the poop has hit the fan everywhere, they won't do anything about it?
    Sorry but why is this so funny to you?

The UK gov. response is pretty funny I think, their financial system is falling apart and their big action of the day is to seize a couple of herring boats.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I would love - LOVE IT - if they had a chain of retails stores over there called 'Britain'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

300,000 people in the UK (more than the population of Iceland) plus lots of local authoritis can;t access their savings, whilst people in Iceland are getting their's? what would you have the government do?
    garytuohy wrote: »
    I know this is probably a very Naive view on things but I get a growing sense that Brown will only criticise /slam/abuse/condemn the smaller nations. First Ireland when the Irish Government put in place the plan to protect its nations savings (I don't remember any comments about Germany or France) and now Iceland who were told by the English Government to Invest all that Money into Icelandic Banks. I know there is a lot of Money involved in this but a failing Nation like Iceland should but helped and not kicked while they are down.

That is a naive view, yes. I think you will find it was Germany who criticised Ireland more than Britain, but I guess you don't watch German new do you? The irish action was taken on its own and was not very well thought through, as the following actions of AIB and Irish TSB showed.
    The UK gov. response is pretty funny I think, their financial system is falling apart and their big action of the day is to seize a couple of herring boats.

plus the odd £400bn commitment, plus helping to coordinate the global interest rate cut and privatising two major banks. i think that adds up to a bit more than a few herring boats somehow.

This is serious, every country in the world is suffering, even the Chinese and Russains cooperated on the interest rate cuts. its not funny mate, this is huge and Ireland will be affected as bad if not worse than anyone once all the foregin investors start cutting back and protecting their core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Nothing like some stereotypes, eh? I think you'll find there's a bit more to Iceland than Sigur Rós and LazyTown.

Little country. Lots of money though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Nothing like some stereotypes, eh? I think you'll find there's a bit more to Iceland than Sigur Rós and LazyTown.

Not since the Cod Wars have Icelando-British relations been so bad. Small countries should know their plaice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like this headline in the Grauniad:

Treasury officials head to Iceland

yeah, I thought - on an aircraft carrier... "where's our money Icelanders!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Not since the Cod Wars have Icelando-British relations been so bad. Small countries should know their plaice.

That sound a bit fishy to me, dont you mean 'Anglo-Icelandic' relations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

actually if they released the music on cd from lazytown that would help their economy since its so catchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Mums gone to Iceland...... to get her life savings back!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I always think their slogal should be 'Iceland - where your benefits go further' :D

Seriously though, a small country in the EEA but outside the EU is finding out just how nasty things can get. There are definitely lessons here for some of the No Lisbon brigade who would have had us end up in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

ninja900 wrote: »
    I always think their slogal should be 'Iceland - where your benefits go further' :D

Seriously though, a small country in the EEA but outside the EU is finding out just how nasty things can get. There are definitely lessons here for some of the No Lisbon brigade who would have had us end up in a similar situation.
    "would have"? You know the No to Lisbon side won, don't you?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Yes, because all the no-voters wanted to secede from the EU. :rolleyes:

In other news, if you don't like apples then you're almost certain to like oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Nice stretch of the facts.

Húrin wrote: »
    "would have"? You know the No to Lisbon side won, don't you?

'Would have' becase despite some No advocates wishes, we are still in the EU. Please read posts more carefully before replying.

Soldie wrote: »
    Yes, because all the no-voters wanted to secede from the EU. :rolleyes:

Re-read my post and note carefully the use of the word 'some'. Several vocal No advocates on boards (and elsewhere, some even in meatspace) were suggesting we would do just fine in the EEA selling fish to the EU... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dresden8 wrote: »
    Nice stretch of the facts.

How's that? Iceland is in the EEA - FACT - which we were told on this very board was the ideal place for a small outlying nation such as Ireland to be. Not looking so good now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think you'll find there's a bit more to Iceland than Sigur Rós and LazyTown.

You're right, they got Bjork as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Britain are fascists that intend taking over the world. They will control your mind, your property and your money.

Huge jobs will eb created in the short term but int he long term the world will eb destroyed by war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Britain are fascists that intend taking over the world. They will control your mind, your property and your money.

Huge jobs will eb created in the short term but int he long term the world will eb destroyed by war

how do you know they don't already?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

The first of what will probably be many abuses of anti-terror laws in our future.

Advertisement