Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future of Donnybrook?

• 09-10-2008 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

With Munster getting their spanking new Thomond Park and all 4 Welsh regions moving into brand new stadia (Parc Y Scarlets looks impressive), I was just wondering what the long term plan for Leinster is?

I know a long term lease has been signed for the RDS, but surely there are plans to eventually build / develop our own stadium, like other successful clubs?

What is the future plan for Donnybrook? They've built that new stand, but surely not just for the purpose of AIL / Schools rugby...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

RDS is the new home for Leinster Rugby and when/if it becomes necessary Landsowne may be used more regularly. Donnybrook is too small (both the stadium itself and the actual land owned by Leinster Rugby).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    RDS is the new home for Leinster Rugby and when/if it becomes necessary Landsowne may be used more regularly. Donnybrook is too small (both the stadium itself and the actual land owned by Leinster Rugby).

I'd agree with that.

I think the RDS meets the needs of Leinster and if they ever need a bigger ground they can run up the road the LR, wouldn't make sense at the moment to go spending huge money on a stadium - maybe thay might cover the N & S stands in the RDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I would think Donnybrook will be kept for schools/AIL games, with Leinster eventually moving to Lansdowne Road (that should be the ultimate ambition anyhow). With a bit of luck they'll outgrow the RDS soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yep, when they decided to move to the RDS they had investigated developing Donnybrook, unfortunately it was too small to create a stadium sufficient for Leinsters burgeoning fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I heard last year they had signed a 10 year lease at RDS..

I really like it, and hope we stay there longer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

We are in the 2nd year of a 20 year lease on the RDS. It will meet the needs for the next while and when when Lansdowne is open again it can be used for bigger games.

A roof on the South and North stands and some much needed additional toilets and the RDS is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

nc6000 wrote: »
    We are in the 2nd year of a 20 year lease on the RDS. It will meet the needs for the next while and when when Lansdowne is open again it can be used for bigger games.

A roof on the South and North stands and some much needed additional toilets and the RDS is fine.

Aye the RDS is the only Stadium I have been to, where its easier to get a beer than have a leak at halftime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

nc6000 wrote: »

I know it's of a suitable capacity, but basically the RDS is a horse showground with one outdated permanent grandstand and three temporary stands. Plus aforementioned shortages in other facilities.

Modern rugby grounds should have all the facilities required by aspiring professional clubs like Leinster. Like adequate corporate / banqueting facilities, training pitches, conditioning suites, proper pre & post-match player facilities...

In this respect the RDS can only be seen as a stopgap. What's the masterplan? A move to Lansdowne? Leinster's fanbase may continue to grow but we're never gonna fill a 50,000 seater on a regular basis. And the last thing we want is a Murrayfield atmosphere a la Edinburgh!

Advertisement