Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Audi A4 with 75k miles... opinions?

Options
  • 09-10-2008 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hey lads, I really need some opinions on a car. I've been offered a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140bhp S-Line with 75,000 miles through a connection in the UK car trade. It'll cost me about €17k including VRT landed here. Its a good spec;
    its got the full S-Line kit with the 18" wheels and leather.

The car is just back from a 2 year lease and has a brand new engine 1500 miles ago. Its from an Audi main dealer so it has a full Audi service history and it'll come with 1 years full Audi UK warranty.

As it's an ex lease car with 75k, so its obviously mostly motorway miles but my worry is an engine replacement after 2 years. I'm going to find out tommorow the reason for the engine replacement, if it was a manufacturing fault and was at Audi's expense I think that I'd be happy enough and I could be getting myself a bargain. But if it was at the expense of the leaser due to abuse or whatever I'd be very worried that the rest of the car is in sh1t condition! I just have visions of sales reps driving the absolute sh1t out of it!

On the price side of things, the cheapest equivilent on carzone is asking €24k and thats not from an Audi dealer. What do people think? Take it or leave it? Any views?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Once it checks out I'd go for it, amazing price, and the engine isnt even broke in.

I've a 2.0Tdi Seat and its a great engine really flexible (power and economy) never mind the purists on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's obviously a great landed price. I presume you'd get no warranty at all with that?

I'd have the car thoroughly checked out. Let us know here how you're getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Not a car expert but 75k miles on a car thats about 2 1/2 years old is a lot.

Your paying 17k, what do you expect to get for it in 2 years time when theres 110k miles on it.

Sounds nice but prob too good to be true,

Id leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only 75k miles and had an engine replaced, possibly recent flood damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Is there a warranty from a dealer and can you buy one and does it cover Ireland. Does it have a full service history.Salesmen often throw in warranties as it doesnt come from their budget -so a 3 month can extend to a 6 or 9 month if they are not moving on price.

A point to note -if you have a mechanic check it out do so discreetly - the reason that if you have a professional check the car he should have spotted the obvious defects. Therefore the warranty is useless and the insurance wont pay as you bought as a "professional" and not a consumer.

So when you buy a car without a warranty the cut of point is 11 days or something which warranties are reduced to if an obvious professional checks them out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have a 2006 Audi with 115K KMS. 1.9 TDI S-Line.

I came from a Passatt only two months ago.

I couldnt picture a better car(at the moment) except somebody crashed into the side of me on Tuesday night. Shame. When It fixed though!!!! It will be sweet again.

Great Price. Check it out though, why would a 2006 car need a new engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

GF has put up 20k MILES on her car since end of February this YEAR. All motorway driving. The car has 58k miles and is in great shape

Aswell as the engine, I would have the clutch checked, especially if it's an automatic........

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Aswell as the engine, I would have the clutch checked, especially if it's an automatic........
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah i test drove an automatic a while back and the clutch was missing! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

noblestee wrote: »

:eek: that's scandalous..

As bazz26 was saying, flood damage seems very likely..I'd be very cautious if a fiesta had it's engine replaced, never mind an Audi!

Although, saying that, it could be something as careless as not topping the car up with oil or coolant to failing to get the car serviced regularly.

I'd have a look around OP - I've heard of similar bargains with audi's of a lot lower mileage in the UK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I think its a little more common than people realise, that engines get replaced.
    If its a genuine reason for replacement, i.e. flood damage, major component failure (which happens), or recall of some discription for a partucliar batch of engines, I would be happy with a genuine Audi replacement engine. Espically if there is a UK 1 year warranty. Remember that they dont know if the car is leaving the country or not when giving the warranty. (obviously check out the extent of the warranty when you put Irish plates on the car)

However, if there is ANY grey area as to the full and documented history of the car or a lack of a satasfactory explaination as to why the engine was replaced, walk away.

For all you know, the car was crashed, engine bonnet and wings have been replaced and the whole thing patched up and flogged to a Paddy.
    Then again, if it all stacks up and you are happy with the full story about the car.....go for it.
    75k for a fleet car in the uk is nothing. You are getting a newish car with low miles (on the engine only). Audi cars hold their value very well but you will find it difficult to sell the car privately in future. All things considered.

noblestee wrote: »

LOL!!!

But seriously, people drive the sh*t out of cars like this, i have one, I know, and the clutch suffers big time as a result, you put your foot to the floor in a 2litre auto and your clutch has a whole lotta work to do all by itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Cheers for the advice guys, keep it coming. It’s a manual, forgot to say it.

Yeh unkel, it’ll have a full Audi UK warranty for 1 year, but that is a good point about Irish plates cashmni1, I’ll have to enquire into that. I probably wont bother getting the car checked as I’m getting it through a contact whos doing me a favour by looking into this and he’s a major VW fleet buyer (thousand’s of VWs/year!!) from that dealer, so I doubt that the dealer would risk pissing him off. I’ve been told by my contact that the car is definitely not crashed, written off, has a full service history and is just back from a 2 year lease.

The car is booking at £9,400 trade and I’m being offered it for £9,500 fully serviced with 2 new tyres, all bodywork scratches repaired and a warranty from an Audi main dealer, VRT is €4,700 so with costs it should work out at just over €17,000.

My contact is going to let me know, (hopefully today) about why the engine has been replaced, he’ll find out from the dealer. I’m hoping that it was a genuine Audi problem and not a non-warranty issue.

Sounds nice to me, check to see if you can get a european warranty with it, that's what you would get with a Volvo....

Would irish plates null the warranty if the chassis number stays the same (it does stay the same yeh? blonde moment here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

farva wrote: »
    I probably wont bother getting the car checked as I’m getting it through a contact whos doing me a favour by looking into this and he’s a major VW fleet buyer (thousand’s of VWs/year!!) from that dealer, so I doubt that the dealer would risk pissing him off.

I could not imagine buying a car in the UK without a full AA/RAC car inspection, Its just not worth the risk for the sake of ~£180 especially one that has had an engine replacement.

It will also be a great piece of paperwork/History to have when you sell on in the future here in Ireland.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. Far too many ifs, buts and maybes.

The clincher for me is this:
    SEAT-Exeo.jpg

Seat Exeo is ls launched here in Feb or so. It IS the Audi A4 (01-08 model) with a different badge. Prices will kick off around high 20s and as a result, A4 values will fall, if not collapse.

read about the exeo here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055390242

its still a seat!

Advertisement