Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money, its a gas.....

• 09-10-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

At the top level, there's the Tommy Tiernans, Dara O'Briens etc. raking in the cash with big venue sell out tours and DVDs, at the bottom level you have the people trying to find their feet at open mics, not earning anything. But what I was wondering about was the layer in the middle, the jobbing comics playing the Dublin comedy clubs and regional venues 3 or 4 nights a week.....are these comics full time or is it a part time thing? Does the money they earn translate into a decent income? Not a comic myself, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

Not a comic myself, just curious.

You the taxman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

First time poster... not a comedian ..... Might as well called himself Zacchaeus.

Although, to answer the original question, I'm barely scraping it, but I'll be damned if I ever go back to a day job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not a comic myself, just curious.

Are you just a lazy journalist then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

I have a day job and really only gig every few weeks. I'm not a headliner, although I do host the odd time. My comedy brings in only a couple thousand a month, but it's not really enough to live on. Hence the day job.

• Advertisement

SlimJ wrote: »
    I...really only gig every few weeks. My comedy brings in only a couple thousand a month

Jesus. Are you charging 1000 per gig???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Jesus. Are you charging 1000 per gig???:eek:

I assume he means either a) a few thousand euro a year or b) a few thousand cent a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

No, it's thousands of euro a month. Which isn't enough, because I live in a diamond palace and subsist on cocaine sandwiches and Goldschlager, to which I add spoonfuls of gold.

Come on now. I've been gigging in Dublin sporadically since September 07, and I'll estimate I've made less than three hundred quid in that time.

squidgey wrote: »
    I assume he means ...a few thousand euro a year

:D

I had made the assumption ya meant year, by the way, I didnt genuinely think you were earning that a month

y'know...

just in case...

(dammit..shoulda used a smiley, not a shockface)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

SlimJ wrote: »
    I've been gigging in Dublin sporadically since September 07, and I'll estimate I've made less than three hundred quid in that time.

In that space of time Ive made €35*. Catching up on ya ;) :P

less expenses, traveling to/from gigs, which is a hellova lot more than the money Ive made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

I've been gigging in Dublin sporadically since September 07

you need to get that sorted. you're my "favourite comedian i had previously not seen before" of '08. official! no need for polling or anonymous ballots.

i don't think the money i've made from standup has even covered the total costs of the few gigs i did in cork. luckily my new company "dicks for dollars" looks like it's taking off so i should get a bit of the ol' ca-ching in my pockets shortly.

Advertisement