Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favorite cook books ?

• 10-10-2008 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi all

whats your favorite cook book and the one that works for a demestic cook,

what is people buying ? :confused:

i enjoy all the g ramsay cookbooks

but not a big fan of jamie o .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You'll probably find this thread useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

hi hill billy thanks for the link1 very interesting ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

My staples of the kitchen are:

Nigella Lawson - yes, she has some odd mixes of food in there, but it's a great book for ideas and goodies
    Rachel Allen (Food for Friends) - some are totally obvious pasta dishes, but she has a couple of great thai style dishes in there too
    Domini Kemp (Real Food, Real Fast) - good advice, very quick dishes and extremely tasty

These are all domestic cook type books, rather than fancy chef style recipes, so I end up using them all the time. Sometimes I just need a bit of inspiration, rather than following a recipe to the letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have a few cookery books and have picked out a few of my favourites. There is a common thread with these books - an honesty in the writing that makes you pick them up again and again. I would bet the house that every one of the recipes in these books has been tried and tested by the writer before going to print. Every recipe I've tried works.

No Place Like Home (Paperback)
    by Rowley Leigh (Author)
    Paperback: 288 pages
    Publisher: Fourth Estate; New Ed edition (4 Sep 2006)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 0007232411
    ISBN-13: 978-0007232413

Great recipes and such a relaxed, engaging narrative.

Week in Week Out [Illustrated] (Hardcover)
    by Simon Hopkinson (Author)
    Hardcover: 256 pages
    Publisher: Quadrille Publishing Ltd (21 Sep 2007)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 184400502X
    ISBN-13: 978-1844005024

Simon Hopkinson used to have a weekly column in The Independant - this is a collection of 52 of those weekly columns.

Made in Italy: Food and Stories (Paperback)
    by Giorgio Locatelli (Author)
    Paperback: 512 pages
    Publisher: Fourth Estate (1 April 2008)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 1841157023
    ISBN-13: 978-1841157023

Definitive Italian cookbook.

Roast Figs, Sugar Snow: Food to Warm the Soul (Paperback)
    by Diana Henry (Author)
    Paperback: 192 pages
    Publisher: Mitchell Beazley (15 Sep 2008)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 1845334523
    ISBN-13: 978-1845334529

A fantastic array of winter recipes from northern europe.

Cook: Smart, Seasonal Recipes for Hungry People (Hardcover)
    by Thomasina Miers (Author)
    Hardcover: 224 pages
    Publisher: Collins (2 Oct 2006)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 0007229372
    ISBN-13: 978-0007229376

Another great collection of recipes - they reflect Tommi Myers passion and enthusiasm and are a great inspiration.

Exploring Taste and Flavour (Hardcover)
    by Tom Kime (Author)
    Hardcover: 256 pages
    Publisher: Kyle Cathie; New title edition (13 Oct 2005)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 185626548X
    ISBN-13: 978-1856265485

So often, cookery books from the Far and Middle East present collections of recipes that are simply page fillers - padding so that the volume will reach 200 pages. The sort of books where you are lucky to get half a dozen recipes. Tom Kime has filtered out all the unnecessary bumf and produced a collection of recipes, every one of which I want to try.

Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore (Hardcover)
    by J Oseland (Author)
    Hardcover: 352 pages
    Publisher: W. W. Norton & Co. (14 Nov 2006)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 0393054772
    ISBN-13: 978-0393054774

James Oseland spent 20 years living and travelling around Malayasia, Indonesia and Singapore. This book is both a travelogue and a brilliant collection of recipes.

As with any book, it is always worth a browse in the book shop before buying - even if you buy from Amazon. But with cookbooks, it is also worth thinking about the ingredients - can you get them easily, or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

I have a serious addicition to cookery books and I buy most of the 'celebrity' books as soon as they are published, but I find I regularly return to my well worn Delia's Complete Cookery course. It covers most things you need for everyday cooking. I hated her 'cheat' book - who wants to buy frozen mash!
    I do like Jamie's new Ministry of Food, (the bolognese recipe works really well) and love the new Bake book from Rachel Allen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement